New Japanese Car Updates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
Originally posted by: NFS4
It's a shame the 4Runner's off-roadness is getting raped for 2003. Here's what I wish Toyota would do:

Give the 2003 Toyota 4Runner a different name. The '03 4Runner will basically be Toyota's answer to the Ford Explorer. 3 Row seating, V8, horrible off-road performance, etc. That's all well and good, but it's not worthy of the 4Runner name. It would be cool if Toyota made another 4Runner-named SUV based on the Tacoma platform that's being built in here in Amerca. That way, more jobs for Americans, lower prices, and an off-road SUV to compete with the likes of the XTerra. I believe the current 1996-2002 Generation 4Runner is based off an older Tacoma because it's still being built in Japan. I could be wrong though.

Eh, I can dream can't I? But hey, maybe the new off-road SUV from Toyota WILL be based off the Tacoma. So there's still hope.

What gives you the impression that the '03 4-Runner won't be capable off-road? Do you know something we don't? :Q
That's the general consensus of the TrailTalk 4Runner forums I visit. Check out this thread with some pics and comments. Also, from what I understand, it will have 2" less ground clearance than the current 4Runner.

OMG, it's HIDEOUS!!!!

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
It's a shame the 4Runner's off-roadness is getting raped for 2003. Here's what I wish Toyota would do:

Give the 2003 Toyota 4Runner a different name. The '03 4Runner will basically be Toyota's answer to the Ford Explorer. 3 Row seating, V8, horrible off-road performance, etc. That's all well and good, but it's not worthy of the 4Runner name. It would be cool if Toyota made another 4Runner-named SUV based on the Tacoma platform that's being built in here in Amerca. That way, more jobs for Americans, lower prices, and an off-road SUV to compete with the likes of the XTerra. I believe the current 1996-2002 Generation 4Runner is based off an older Tacoma because it's still being built in Japan. I could be wrong though.

Eh, I can dream can't I? But hey, maybe the new off-road SUV from Toyota WILL be based off the Tacoma. So there's still hope.

What gives you the impression that the '03 4-Runner won't be capable off-road? Do you know something we don't? :Q
That's the general consensus of the TrailTalk 4Runner forums I visit. Check out this thread with some pics and comments. Also, from what I understand, it will have 2" less ground clearance than the current 4Runner.

OMG, it's HIDEOUS!!!!
Word. I love the muscular look of the current 4Runners. Best looking mid-size SUV out there IMHO but, as someone said in the TrailTalk forums, the soccer-moms have spoken. $$ is always priority one with Toyota and it sucks that Toyota's alienating the off-road crowd. I don't know what's up with those black flares in that one pic I linked too. All the other pics I've seen have bodycolor-matching non-riveted flares. back view

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, let's hope that the "NEW" SUV is a hard-core off-roader.

This is truly a sad occurence for Toyota...the new 4-Runner looks like a Sequoia on crack.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Two things about the picture of the "new 4Runner". First, the Toyota badge on the grille is fairly obviously a Photoshop cut and paste (it's both off-center and its background is not a matching color). Second, the chrome badging on the door does not appear to spell out "4Runner". It's definitely one fugly vehicle, but I really wonder about the authenticity of that particular photo.

ZV