New interview and in-game footage from Warhammer Online

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Text

"And then we have the Marauder, who, at first glance looks like some sort of Viking, but then his arm turns into a tentacle and sucks your face off!"

The dude getting interviewed is awesome. Let's get that out of the way first. Plus, he makes some really insightful points about MMO's toward the end and he doesn't shy away from discussing the elephant in the room- WOW.

Looks to be very PvP-centric, which I'm down with. But the graphics look terrible. Hopefully they improve before release.

"It's imagination. Not immersion. Immersion is playing Half-Life and you haven't realized the house has burnt down, you haven't eaten and your wife's left you. I'm talking about imagination."

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Looks ok,I'm hoping its not like WoW,bring on the war and pvp :).
Side Note: it does not look too demanding,just hope all the serious bugs are worked out when it gets finally released.

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
It looks like a WoW clone to me except maybe a little more chaotic. The PvP battles I've seen from other videos remind me of WoW PvP before battlegrounds.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Looks meh at best. I hope somebody makes a 40k MMO that doesn't suck.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Superrock
It looks like a WoW clone to me except maybe a little more chaotic. The PvP battles I've seen from other videos remind me of WoW PvP before battlegrounds.

WoW looks like every other MMO that proceed it and Warhammer. Then again seeing as how WoW borrowed every idea from every other MMO before it....DAOC, EQ1, AC1 and AC2, etc... along with borrowing concepts and the IP look of Warhammer fantasy I can see why some people would say WAR looks like WoW.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Canai

THQ is working on a 40k MMO. They are in the earliest of stages though and it won't be out until at least 2010 barring any set backs or cancelations.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: Canai

THQ is working on a 40k MMO. They are in the earliest of stages though and it won't be out until at least 2010 barring any set backs or cancelations.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005
I would have preferred it if Mythic used 40,000 instead of Fantasy... but what can you do?

If the gameplay is there, I suppose it won't matter overall.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Continuity28
I would have preferred it if Mythic used 40,000 instead of Fantasy... but what can you do?

If the gameplay is there, I suppose it won't matter overall.

Mythic is better suited for fantasy work IMHO. Their experience with DAOC helps in this area. 40k is going to be harder to pull off correctly considering that everyone and their mother is going to have range weapons. Technically pew..pew..pew gun based MMO's outside of ships have not done so well. It'd be nice if THQ goes with a skill system ( ala UO, EVE, Saga of Ryzom, old-SWG ) rather then a standard leveling system of kill ten cultist to reach level 50 crap.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Call me crazy but I didn't think that looked very good at all. I've been trying to get into the beta for this for what seems like years now, but I can't say that video made me feel as if I am missing anything. Age of Conan looks much better in my opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGyvHbV_UqE

KT

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Cant really judge much by just looking at beta game play. Need to actually play it. A lot of people poo pooed WoW when it was in beta for its so called cartoonish look. 9 million subscribers later though and its the most successful MMO to date. Doesnt matter wether you like WoW or not. It screams its own success. I'm looking forward to trying WAR once its finished. I'll agree with Paul that Mythic does one thing and does it well. RvR. Its their specialty. Hopefully they can make it work for WAR.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
The Beta plain out sucks. I really wanted a game that would replace WoW for me but this isn't it. I thought Tabula Rasa was going to be it, and Auto assault before that. WoW has a monopoly and there are no other games out that can match it without being extremely similar.

(Eve has done pretty well despite being extremely different) but even still. Until Spore comes out (not even really a MMO) looks like I'll be TF2 and WoW.

Unfortunately WH is going to get pushed out from beta half finished and is going to tank. The Graphics are terrible and the gameplay are everything not fun from wow (repetative button mashing) without nearly as much of the satisfaction gleaned from WoW.

Sorry to kill peoples hopes:(

DarkRipper

Golden Member
Jun 29, 2000
I like pvp and I like mmorpgs, but I don't want them combined without a pve element.

That's my big turn off with WAR.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Powernick50
The Beta plain out sucks. I really wanted a game that would replace WoW for me but this isn't it. I thought Tabula Rasa was going to be it, and Auto assault before that. WoW has a monopoly and there are no other games out that can match it without being extremely similar.

(Eve has done pretty well despite being extremely different) but even still. Until Spore comes out (not even really a MMO) looks like I'll be TF2 and WoW.

Unfortunately WH is going to get pushed out from beta half finished and is going to tank. The Graphics are terrible and the gameplay are everything not fun from wow (repetative button mashing) without nearly as much of the satisfaction gleaned from WoW.

Sorry to kill peoples hopes:(

Is this first hand experience talking or did you just watch videos? The devs of WAR completely redid some of the mechanics after the first beta, pushing back their release date. I highly doubt they want to release something that is half-assed, and EA is also turning over a new philosophy and allowing their various creations to be pushed back rather than released with an overabundance of bugs. I have faith that WAR will be awesome for those looking to pvp...it's not a WoW killer, but it will be successful.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Mythic has alot riding on WAR. The way I see it this game will either make em or break em. If they pull it off they'll be hailed as great achievers but if it fails... I predict it'll be Mythic's death nail. EA doesnt have patience for poor game companies and thats the classification Mythic will have if they mess it up. They already got alot of grief about how DAoC has become and everyone knows that that game has been slowly dying for a while now. Their futuristic Roman game didnt get much support or interest from fans so a successful WAR is extremely important to their longevity in the industry. At least thats my feeling about it. If they mess up WAR there is going to be alot of Mythic employees looking for a new job. MJ included.