Article New Intel 28 core unlocked Fire breathing monster review !

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13748/the-intel-xeon-w-3175x-review-28-unlocked-cores-2999-usd

A 32 phase power with 6 CPU power plugs, and 2 24 pin power plugs just for the motherboard. At 4.4 ghz with a custom water setup, it consumes 510 watts just for the CPU !

And yes, the CPU alone is $2999. The motherboard is estimated at $1500. And a quote from the conclusion:

"On the power side of the equation, again the W-3175X comes in like a wrecking ball, and this baby is on fire. While this chip has a 255W TDP, the turbo max power value is 510W – we don’t hit that at ‘stock’ frequency, which is more around the 300W mark, but we can really crank out the power when we start overclocking.

This processor has a regular all-core frequency of 3.8 GHz, with AVX2 at 3.2 GHz and AVX-512 at 2.8 GHz. In our testing, just by adjusting multipliers, we achieved an all-core turbo of 4.4 GHz and an AVX2 turbo of 4.0 GHz, with the systems drawing 520W and 450W respectively. At these frequencies, our CPU was reporting temperatures in excess of 110ºC! This processor is actually rated with a thermal shutoff at 120ºC, well above the 105ºC we see with regular desktop processors, which shows that perhaps Intel had to bin these chips enough that the high temperature profile was required."

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It shows you how badly Intel needs 10/7nm.

If this chip were built on newer lithography, it would be a monster.

But it would still cost too much.

Reactions: Jimzz

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Expensive for sure, but in the thread back when this thing was first announced and shown off, people were assuming that it would be at least $4,000.

I think the most interesting part of the AT review was this bit:

Intel’s MCE setting, among other things, does two very important changes:

1. Changes the maximum temperature from 85ºC to 110ºC
2. Changes the reported current

The first change gives the CPU some headroom before the system thermally throttles. Most Intel CPUs have a temperature limit of 95ºC, however this chip has a limit of 120ºC, so this can make a lot of sense, especially as a system ages and dust gets everywhere, reducing performance.

So theoretically we could attach a special water loop to this thing that runs hot enough to boil the water and power a steam turbine to generate the power to run this chip.

Perpetual motion machine unlocked! :cool:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
If this chip did not run so hot, and take so much current to run, I would get one, even at $3k. I mean 6 CPU motherboard connectors, and 2 24 pin motherboard connectors and 32 phase power ? Come on, thats just TOO much for me. My 2970wx (24 cores) runs on AIR cooling ! Yes this runs 4.4-4.5 ghz and I have not tried to OC my 2970wx, but it runs 3550 STOCK on air, so thats good enough for me,.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
If this chip did not run so hot, and take so much current to run, I would get one, even at $3k. I mean 6 CPU motherboard connectors, and 2 24 pin motherboard connectors and 32 phase power ? Come on, thats just TOO much for me. My 2970wx (24 cores) runs on AIR cooling ! Yes this runs 4.4-4.5 ghz and I have not tried to OC my 2970wx, but it runs 3550 STOCK on air, so thats good enough for me,.

Mark make sure you add this to your amazon cart if and when you do buy one.

4ef14c90-c950-4562-b1df-94b733e67ea6.jpg

IMO this chip and board is beyond rediculous to the point of childish.
"Lets beat AMD by not only cores, but more stuff required to power the eye of sauron."

Add an extra 24pin.... throw in 4 more 8-pins... lets load it with vregs until the board can no longer support the PCB traces... ahhh... yes... my precious....

:eek:

At this point, id rather have another skulltrail with 2 cpu's and less board requirements, with the possibility of more cores / thread + overclocking.

2 x 14 core CPU's with overclocking on a SK3 board, would not require anywhere near the same amount as a single 28core..

You see, Childish!... sigh ....

Reactions: Kaido

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
This CPU has no proper retention mechanism, it is held in place by the coller plate. This is probably not going to sell directly to end customers ever.

It will steal a lot of sales, because one more layer in the purchasing process (the PC building company or system integrator) means that the customer will have much more space for rational decision making, which will not be in favour of this processor...

Quite frankly I am surprised that Intel managed to persuade those two companies to make motherboards for this. This looks like a certain loss project to me. Or perhaps Intel payed them a lot of money to develop and make these boards???

It seems that if the company, which will sell computers with this CPU, will have to cover warranty for these, they will have to tame the CPUs to some "safe" power draw. Does this processor make any sense at all, when held at lower frequency and lower performance to ensure that the motherboard will not burn out in half a year?

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Mark make sure you add this to your amazon cart if and when you do buy one.

4ef14c90-c950-4562-b1df-94b733e67ea6.jpg

IMO this chip and board is beyond rediculous to the point of childish.
"Lets beat AMD by not only cores, but more stuff required to power the eye of sauron."

Add an extra 24pin.... throw in 4 more 8-pins... lets load it with vregs until the board can no longer support the PCB traces... ahhh... yes... my precious....

:eek:

At this point, id rather have another skulltrail with 2 cpu's and less board requirements, with the possibility of more cores / thread + overclocking.

2 x 14 core CPU's with overclocking on a SK3 board, would not require anywhere near the same amount as a single 28core..

You see, Childish!... sigh ....
Exactly ! Just too ridiculous. I saw it coming back when they tried the 5 ghz 28 core thing, and this just confirms it. I mean a custom water cooling setup, they get to 4.4 ghz@ 510 watts and 110c !!!!! NO way, I will taske my AIR cooled 24 core anyway. Using just 2 CPU connectors like most modern CPU's (higher end) take today.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Im not the type to bash intel as well, but even i have to face palm... :rolleyes:
SkullTrail3 would of been a much viable solution, and probably a more practical one, and we could have 48cores on that instead of 28.

Intel... Sigh... Intel.... *shakes head and goes kicking a can*

Reactions: Arachnotronic

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
If this chip did not run so hot, and take so much current to run, I would get one, even at $3k. I mean 6 CPU motherboard connectors, and 2 24 pin motherboard connectors and 32 phase power ?

I think it's obvious that most people will never own this or want to even if they could afford it. While Intel has gone to ridiculous lengths, I do think it's impressive that they've been able to build something like this at all. It's certainly interesting from an enthusiast perspective, even if it's just something that they only put out in very limited quantities just to keep bragging rights.

Reactions: Zucker2k

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I think it's obvious that most people will never own this or want to even if they could afford it. While Intel has gone to ridiculous lengths, I do think it's impressive that they've been able to build something like this at all. It's certainly interesting from an enthusiast perspective, even if it's just something that they only put out in very limited quantities just to keep bragging rights.
I have a 2990wx, that has more cores, and is supposed to work with the same cooler (air) as I have on my 2970wx, but it is not as fast per core as this monster.

BUT, when Ryzen 3 for Threadripper comes out, it will have probably faster cores, and may even have more than 32, let alone the power usage will probably be way less.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I have a 2990wx, that has more cores, and is supposed to work with the same cooler (air) as I have on my 2970wx, but it is not as fast per core as this monster.

BUT, when Ryzen 3 for Threadripper comes out, it will have probably faster cores, and may even have more than 32, let alone the power usage will probably be way less.

I don't think Intel was really planning on this being much of a real product.

From the AT review:

With all this being said, even with going for an OEM system, it might be difficult to get one. Based on rumors flying around when at CES, we were told by various sources that Intel only intends to make around 1500 of these W-3175X processors, worldwide.

I don't know how true that is, but assuming that it is, Intel probably spent more resources just bringing this to market than they can hope to recoup in revenue.

I look at it as more of a marketing move, and perhaps a bit of an experiment, in much the same way that automakers will build expensive prototype vehicles that they show off.

Reactions: Zucker2k

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13920/asetek-launches-690lxpn-cooler-for-xeon-w3175x-up-to-500-w

asetek-690lx-pn-678_678x452.jpg

I guess that's what it takes to run this at sane clock speeds for what it is.

They haven't delivered on the all core 5GHz stunt yet. Where's the official recommended industrial water chiller to get this running up there?

Just wait for its successor - Cascade Lake-AP with unlocked 48-56 cores.

I can see them pulling a similar stunt with Cascade Lake-AP some time after Zen2 launches in Threadripper form.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
It shows you how badly Intel needs 10/7nm.

If this chip were built on newer lithography, it would be a monster.

But it would still cost too much.

It will come sooner or later at 10nm. Maybe in a year and half. And it will clock higher, consume "normal" amount of power (on par with the current x299 line-up) and cost less (probably at the 9960x-9980x pricepoint). Question is, will it be still monolithic?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
With all this being said, even with going for an OEM system, it might be difficult to get one. Based on rumors flying around when at CES, we were told by various sources that Intel only intends to make around 1500 of these W-3175X processors, worldwide. This might explain the reason why Intel gives a consumer price, rather than a 1k unit tray price. We were also told that even though there are only two motherboard manufacturers making motherboards, one of them only has plans to make a single run of 500 retail boards for OEMs, with the other expected to make up the deficit. The reason for this was simple: ‘Intel only ordered 500 from us’. These motherboards are expected to be ca $1500 apiece, but I still wonder if ASUS/GIGABYTE will break even designing these products.

That "$2999" price will probably never see the light of day as a consumer-purchasable part on retail shelves. That socket really needs a tray like is on Threadripper to allow for end-user installation. I think this is a limited-run, limited-time product that will nonetheless be snapped up quickly by those with a need for speed (with many cores).

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I can see them pulling a similar stunt with Cascade Lake-AP some time after Zen2 launches in Threadripper form.

That's going to be tough considering Cascade Lake is still 14nm, which means that the characteristics aren't going to be too much better. Suddenly we're looking at 600W or more of power and an even beefier cooling solution.

What they've built here is already pushing the limits of what's possible, and even if they were to try, I'm not certain that they'd be able to overtake AMD's best ThreadRipper which will have a core advantage on top of being easier to make due to the chiplet-based approach.

Question is, will it be still monolithic?

I think Intel's designs are going to be monolithic for a while still. It takes time to plan all of that out and trying to rush something out could be disastrous.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
... be one of 1500 worldwide that is able to even buy this.
Seriously, how did Intel persuade Asus and Gigabyte to make motherboards for this? Has Intel payed for these? Or have these two companies co-developed them to lower costs? I have not compared these motherboards to see how much they are similar.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
This a halo product, nothing more

With a mild oc like 4GHz the power might be around 330W which is not that bad considering power for 9900k/2700X for 8C/16T or TR. But for desktop it is too high.
top GPUs are there now (250-300W)

I can not imagine what happens when MB power component fail at full load with that oced CPU....instant burn