New HTPC Build: Passive Is Pleasant... or Is It?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
In my younger years, I may have settled more fancy, blinking, colorful LEDs and fans that could rival a vacuum cleaner, but as I've aged a bit, I really enjoy more subtle computers. While noise level is usually not the biggest deal for a fancy, schmancy gaming PC, it's definitely something that you may want to take into account when building a HTPC. That's especially true if you are placing it in a bedroom!

When I saw Streacom's FC8 Evo, I knew that I wanted to build one of these machines. The Streacom case is completely fan-less as it builds a large heatsink solution into the case, which connects to the processor through heatpipes. Streacom lists the FC8 Evo is rated for 95W, but I wanted to keep the possible heat dispersion down; however, I wanted a modest amount of GPU power. Intel mostly equips their lower-end processors with the weaker HD2500, but they recently released the i3-3225 with a HD4000.

Here are the full stats:
Code:
Case:          Streacom FC8 Evo
Processor:     Intel i3-3225
Motherboard:   ASUS P8H77-i
Memory:        G.Skill DDR3-1600 2GBx2 
Storage:       Intel 320 SSD 80GB
Power Supply:  Wesena 150W Nano-PSU
While building the machine last night, it was rather hard to ignore the fact that it had to have been the hardest computer build that I've ever done. Streacom has pretty much ignored the current trend of "tool-less is best" as you not only need tools, but some fairly specific tools. You'll need a Phillips-head screwdriver with a rather thin neck to reach the screws that are between the heatsink fins. My bit screwdriver wouldn't fit... even with an extended 8" long Phillips-head bit, and I was rather lucky that I had a very small screwdriver that also had a very long neck. To add, a screwdriver is required to take the top of the case off.

The second aspect that made it hard was that the cooling solution is made up of a few different pieces: lower heatsink, upper heatsink, four heat pipes and two heat pipe clamps. To note, there are two separate upper heatsinks: one for AMD and one for Intel. That in itself doesn't make it the most difficult build, but when you consider that the instructions (more on the instructions later) state that you should put thermal paste on various cooling parts can make it difficult to then handle the parts while trying to put them in place. I ended up placing the lower heatsink on the CPU with thermal paste on the CPU and the grooves in the lower heatsink. The TIM (Thermal Interface Material) helped keep the lower heatsink from simply sliding off the CPU. I used Zalman's STG-1 on the portion of the heat pipes that connects to the heatsink as the brush applicator (similar to what you see on nail polish) made it significantly easier to apply and not smear everywhere (since I wasn't relying on pressure to disperse the TIM). Imagine having to hold those heatpipes in place while trying to put the screw back in place to lock the clamp down.

What makes this even more difficult is that while you're working with this rather unique case, you aren't even provided any instructions. Personally, I thought the instructions were good looking but I wasn't really impressed with the organization or the guidance. I still have no idea what the c-clamps are for. They apparently go somewhere below the upper heatsink and with the spring-loaded screws. The instructions don't really have a cohesive flow when it comes to assembling the heatsink. Although, thankfully, I was able to load up the instructions my tablet and use that instead.

The heatsink performance seems alright. I loaded up Speedfan on the PC, and while running 1080p h.264 MKVs and even just loading Windows Updates, I watched the temperatures. To reiterate, the CPU has a 55W TDP compared to the 95W recommended maximum, and I was seeing between 50 to 60 Celsius on one core and 45-55 Celsius on the other core. It was definitely interesting to see how core usage would quickly affect the temperature. A core would operate at around 50C, and I would watch it jump up to 100% usage and the temperatures would almost instantly shoot up to 55-60C. Although, I'm honestly not too sure if my numbers are too high for my processor.

I'll try and get some photos out, but I'm honestly not too sure how they came out. I spend too much money on computers to buy a good SLR. :p

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Alright, so some of the photos turned out alright. You'll have to excuse the quality given my old Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W70 wasn't exactly an award winner... when it came out 6+ years ago. :p I'm not a huge fan of using inlined images, and I will be posting them as links with a description below.

The Box
It's a pretty average box that isn't that much bigger than the case itself. Note that Perfect Home Theater packaged my Nano-PSU in the box instead of separate like the power adapter.

The Case - Looking Down
A more "aerial" view of the case from the front. You can see the 2x USB 3.0 ports along with the power button and the IR window.

The Case - Front
A view from the front of the case, which also shows off the 2x USB 3.0 ports along with the power button and IR window. To note, this version of the case does not support an optical drive. There is another variation that does and would have a slot on the front along with a button for it.

The Case - Right (Heatsink)
A view from the right side of the case, which shows off the rather massive built-in heatsink. In this shot, you can make out some of the screws existing between the fins, and keep in mind that this restricts the type of screwdrivers that you can use.

The Case - Rear
This was prior to taking the case apart, so the heat pipes are still packaged inside and are visible through the I/O shield's cut-out. Above the left side of the I/O shield cut-out, you see a round circular hole, which is for the Nano-PSU's power plug.

The Case - Left
Really not too much interesting going on here. The case's top panel is in a L-shape and the left side is one of the sides of the top panel.

The Case - Bottom
As was slightly visible in other photos, you can easily make out the feet in this photo. If you look near the top, you'll also see two of the screws that hold in the case's top panel.

Top Panel Removed
Here's the case with the top panel removed, which exposes the I/O device bracket. That will be used for holding any hard drives, SSDs or optical drives. To note, the case does require a slim drive, which is why I just opted for a variant of the case that does not support an optical drive.

Motherboard - Cooling Retention
A fairly simple photo showing the bottom of the motherboard with the four cooling retention "nuts" applied.

Case with Motherboard
The motherboard is now installed in the case, and we're ready for the daunting task of getting the heat pipes in!

Case with Heat Pipes
In this photo, the lower heatsink has been placed on the processor with some OCZ Freeze TIM used in between and also in the grooves for the heat pipes. Zalman STG-1 was used on the side of the heatpipe that touches the main heatsink. What really made this part be a giant pain is how those two black brackets in the back have absolutely no support. I don't own a magnetic screwdriver with a thin neck, which mean I had to put the screws in the holes first and then try and put the heat pipes on. Getting things all nice and lined up was definitely not my favorite part.

Case with Upper Heatsink
The upper Streacom Intel-only heatsink is now on, which will hold the heat pipes in place. The retention screws would be the final phase in attaching the heatsink.

It appears that after this point, I got too into getting everything right that I didn't take more photos. I could always take it apart if anyone is curious how something looks. One thing to be aware of is that motherboard compatibility is paramount. You really don't want anything important existing below those heat pipes. It was a rather arduous task for me to get a SATA cable to work in that case with the heat pipes going directly over them. I'm tempted to try out some of the round cables (like this one) to see if they'll work better.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Here is another tread on AVS Forum ..Streacom FC8 build.
Ithink thats a sweet case BTW. Awesome build.

Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately for me, it isn't as easy of a comparison given that we have different builds, and actually different cases. Mine is the newer Evo model, which I don't think differs much apart from the USB 3 ports. As a note, the USB 3 ports are actually USB 2 right now, because Streacom doesn't include the USB 3 cable by default. Speaking of cables, I wish they would offer shorter cables. You can see the motherboard header cables in my photos, and honestly... they're way too long. Of course, that length might be necessary if we need to reach to the other side of the board. So, I wouldn't mind paying extra for the case if they would include some shorter cables along with the default longer cable.

I did notice that his thermals were definitely a lot better than mine. He was hovering at around 32C with only two heat pipes. I'm using all four and seeing much worse performance as I'm idling at about 50C. Although, while I was running at around 100% (note: not Prime95) I only hit about 62C max, which was what he got as well. I think I'm going to go and buy a thin, magnetized screwdriver and redo the cooling setup a bit. I'm wondering if I didn't apply enough TIM to the case-side of the heat pipes. My STG-1 was running kind of low as it took a few re-applications to get enough for me to consider it good.