New Home Network Question

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I was thinking of looking at the known working ports, then compare their wiring with the ones that are not working?

It's odd that in some rooms here, of the two ports in the rooms, only one would be "live", why would they do a half arsed job...

It's not like intentional. It's easy to screw up. Yes, comparing to a known working drop is a good idea

Reactions: Mloc33

Mloc33

Aug 21, 2019
The punch down tool came today, so I went and had a look the the two ports in my room and they look the same...

What do you all think??

Edit: I came across this online, you think I should change it to B..and would that mean I`d have to do the whole house in B?

As a general rule, T568A and T568B should not be combined or interchanged. Keeping in mind that T568B is the preferred format for new networks in the United States, you're (technically) free to choose either wiring scheme for cases in which a new network is being built from the ground up.

Attachments

• Not Working Port.jpg
    Not Working Port.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Working Port.jpg
    Working Port.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Don't mix T568A & T568B in a single house. Stay with what you have. No need to change.

Make sure the all the wires inside the cable are solid cores, not stranded. If the wires in the wall/at the panel are stranded, when you punch down the wires, they will be cut.

Pull the wires out, cut the punch-down sections and re-punch them for the wall jacks that don't work.

Reactions: Mloc33 and ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The punch down tool came today, so I went and had a look the the two ports in my room and they look the same...

What do you all think??

Edit: I came across this online, you think I should change it to B..and would that mean I`d have to do the whole house in B?

As a general rule, T568A and T568B should not be combined or interchanged. Keeping in mind that T568B is the preferred format for new networks in the United States, you're (technically) free to choose either wiring scheme for cases in which a new network is being built from the ground up.

Don't mix T568A & T568B in a single house. Stay with what you have. No need to change.

Make sure the all the wires inside the cable are solid cores, not stranded. If the wires in the wall/at the panel are stranded, when you punch down the wires, they will be cut.

Pull the wires out, cut the punch-down sections and re-punch them for the wall jacks that don't work.

Agreed don't change the pattern. We already know the patch panels are 568A, so use that on the drop side.

I'm already not a big fan of those wall jacks, lol. The biggest thing to note is on the "not working" jack is how much extra cable there is. Definitely repunch that one. What ever tool was used before was probably dull, sub-par, or just not done well.. The cuts on the end of the cables don't look clean at all. And there's WAY too much excess cable on both ends of those drops.

For the record, I prefer this kind: https://www.computercablestore.com/how-to-terminate-punch-down-style-keystone-jacks

If repunching doesn't correct the issue, back to the patch panel to investigate the drop in the same way

@Mloc33 - take your time and do it right. In terms of solid or stranded cables:

Solid cable is also called "riser", it's printed on the cable jacket, and you ONLY punch these into panels or keystones

Stranded cable is also called "patch", it's also printed on the cable jacket, and you ONLY crimp these into RJ45 heads

If you punch down stranded cable, you will have problems down the road, same if you crimp solid cable

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
I was thinking of looking at the known working ports, then compare their wiring with the ones that are not working?

It's odd that in some rooms here, of the two ports in the rooms, only one would be "live", why would they do a half arsed job...
It definitely won't hurt to check even the ports that work as ethernet if very forgiving and sometimes will work even when it shouldn't.

Well, they wired it for phone, so for ethernet it's not going to work. I ran into the same issue in our last apartment building. Even in this day and age, most general/electrical contractors still don't know how to properly wire ethernet.

Mloc33

Aug 21, 2019
Well I had a go with the punch down tool with the port thats not working, cause the first two wires did`nt look like they were punched down far enough, so I punched them two down and also the rest of the for poops and giggles, hooked the ethernet cable to my PC and I`ve ethernet now!!
Sure as anything I was thinking it could`nt be that easy, but when I saw that ethernet symbol on the taskbar, I was one happy camper..I was fairly proud of myself that I told the wife...she said "huh"..followed by "and that means what?", lol

She did`nt complain when she was watching her streamed programs, not one sign of buffering...

One other thing, when I plug the ethernet cable into my Nvidia Sheild, I seem to be getting better/faster speeds than on my PC...is there anything I can do to make sure my PC is getting the maximum speed from the ethernet?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes, you can test your internet speeds at www.speedtest.net

You can check what the PC is reporting for negotiated link speed. Sometimes poorly punched/crimped cables will link up at 10 or 100 instead of 1000mbps

Also, if you're up for more learning, you can use two PC's and sotware call iperf to test your LAN speeds

Last edited:

Mloc33

Aug 21, 2019

You can check what the PC is reporting for negotiated link speed. Sometimes poorly punched/crimped cables will link up at 10 or 100 instead of 1000mbps

Also, if you're up for more learning, you can use two PC's and sotware call iperf to test your LAN speeds

I'm using the same cable, just switching it out when needed, I wouldn't mind if it was only a few mbs, but its almost half the speed I get on the PC, compared to the shield...

Do any of ya's use an audio receiver?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm using the same cable, just switching it out when needed, I wouldn't mind if it was only a few mbs, but its almost half the speed I get on the PC, compared to the shield...

Do any of ya's use an audio receiver?

What are you testing that reports half the speed?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It's on a LAN.

Maybe it's down to better hardware on the devices?

It's possible, and you'll learn quite a bit more by trying to figure it out. Keep my previous post in mind: