New Home Network Question

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes, but you shouldn't have any other active equipment on the line, ie, you should not plug it into a switch.

If the cabling is known to be good, you don't even need the toner--just plug up an ethernet device in the room and then keep patching until you get a link.

Oh yeah, agreed.

Mloc33

Aug 21, 2019
The toner finds the port on the patch panel for my room, but does not give me ethernet, but if I plug a patch cable from laptop into the switch, I get ethernet...even with a patch cable still in the port in the patch panel, I still have no ethernet in my room....

Here`s the only labels I can see for the patch panel...

I appreciate all your help and patience.....:)

Attachments

• 20190917_123715.jpg
    20190917_123715.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190917_123739.jpg
    20190917_123739.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 18

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Get pic for the top module model #...

the toner will only help identify what cables go where, it won't verify pinouts at the panel and room drops are good. you'll need a cable tester to test the infrastructure runs from panel to drop

use the toner to find another drop to test, keep track of which ones work and which ones don't. The ones that don't, start with a physical inspection of the drops to make sure the pinouts match the panel and are good.

Reactions: Mloc33

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
The toner finds the port on the patch panel for my room, but does not give me ethernet, but if I plug a patch cable from laptop into the switch, I get ethernet...even with a patch cable still in the port in the patch panel, I still have no ethernet in my room....

Here`s the only labels I can see for the patch panel...

I appreciate all your help and patience.....:)
The above advice on checking the drops is dead-on as well as checking the punchdowns for correct order.

So it looks like a wiring issue now that you have tested a single port. One thing to do is to open up the port in the room and see if all 8 wires are punched down and in which order. There's two standards T568A and T568B and even if you have a mix of both, you should be okay as a T568A on one end and a T568B on the other end is actually a crossover cable:

But if your patch panels and ports in the rooms are not following either of these standards on either end, that would explain why it's not working.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
@SamirD - yup. I had to go for a bit, the ICRDSDPA10 is discontinued, and I was having trouble finding which standard it follows. It's tough to tell, because you just punch them in and the integrated circuits map to the ports.

managed to find this link

So, assuming the cables are punch in correctly, as in the solid and striped pairs arent crossed, looks like the OP will want to make sure he uses 568A on the drop side

A couple other questions:

1. I know it sounds dumb, but after you located the drop in the patch panel, did you run a patch cable from the panel to the switch?

2. Have you already unplugged the Netgear device and move those drops to the other switch? And are they working?

Last edited:

Mloc33

Aug 21, 2019
Get pic for the top module model #...

the toner will only help identify what cables go where, it won't verify pinouts at the panel and room drops are good. you'll need a cable tester to test the infrastructure runs from panel to drop

use the toner to find another drop to test, keep track of which ones work and which ones don't. The ones that don't, start with a physical inspection of the drops to make sure the pinouts match the panel and are good.

This of the top module...

See if this makes any sense to you, I went around to every port in the house and tried to match them up..

Attachments

• 20190920_102918.jpg
    20190920_102918.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190920_124307.jpg
    20190920_124307.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20190920_111555.jpg
    20190920_111555.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190920_111641.jpg
    20190920_111641.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190920_111707.jpg
    20190920_111707.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 12

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Ok, so you used the toner function to trace out the patch panel drops to the rooms. That's a good start!

Move on to the 3 drop test pics. Are any of those 3 drops working? I kinda assume not based on the patch panel picture with the layout notes on it.

Here's the manual: https://www.elegiants.com/downfile.html?path=/elegiants/20171110/5a06681a4934c-ELEGIANT Bside FWT1 Product Manual.pdf

Below is the section to use, and it appears that you're doing it correctly. You have the receiver plugged into the corresponding drop at the other end of the run, using another patch cable, correct? It kinda looks like the lit up wire indicates it's "open" aka not punched down all the way.

For example, in picture 111555.jpg, the number "2" is lit up. Since it's laid out pin's 1 thru 8, I would automatically assume it's pin 2 that is open. In 568A, that would be the solid green cable..

BUT, the guide specifically says "open circuit: on the receiver, the corresponding line pair indicator will not turn on". We know there's 4 pairs, and only the number 2 is lit. Based on the guide, this may indicate pairs 1, 3, and 4 are OPEN.

As the tool is not from a known brand to me, I would suggest this:

To confirm you know how to use it properly (and for a sanity check, we all have to do it sometimes lol), I would just test a patch cable or 2 with the emitter/receiver without sending it thru the infrastructure. make sure you know what it should look like when it works 100% end to end.

After that, try again, if you get the same results, inspect a drop and ensure all the punch downs look ok. Once you're familiar with the tool, I would focus on one drop at a time, sanity check against known working cabling as needed.
cable_tester.PNG

edit: video of basic function

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
There will be a lot of cross talk with the sloppy termination where the cables are punched down. I wonder if you could ever achieve 1Gig connectivity.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
This of the top module...

See if this makes any sense to you, I went around to every port in the house and tried to match them up..
This helps tremendously! The top punch down block with an input and the kitchen is just for phone. I doubt it will work for ethernet at all.

The two punch down blocks below this one are for ethernet, but I don't think the ports in the rooms are punched down correctly. I think the patch panel should link at 100Mbit as we have some worse than that at my parents house--gigabit may be intermittent or not work correctly.

At this point I think it's just a matter of making sure the punching down at the panel and ports in the rooms is correct. The wire is there for sure.

Mloc33

Aug 21, 2019
There will be a lot of cross talk with the sloppy termination where the cables are punched down. I wonder if you could ever achieve 1Gig connectivity.

The best of all the ethernet speeds was around 90mb, I`m paying for 1gb and on wireless I get around 500-600ish on my phone...

Mloc33

Aug 21, 2019
At this point I think it's just a matter of making sure the punching down at the panel and ports in the rooms is correct. The wire is there for sure.

So I should just research what colored wire goes where on the patch panel and ethernet ports and once they are correct I`m good to go....

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
The best of all the ethernet speeds was around 90mb, I`m paying for 1gb and on wireless I get around 500-600ish on my phone...
Yep, sounds like 100Mbps.
So I should just research what colored wire goes where on the patch panel and ethernet ports and once they are correct I`m good to go....
Yep, pretty much. You'll want to also read about correct termination techniques so you know how to fix some of the bad terminations in the patch panel. From the cursory glance that I can see, the unsheathed and untwisted sections are a bit too long.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Cat 6 cables (labled on cable casings from your pics) should let you run 1Gbps everywhere if they are terminated properly at the punch down panel & wall jacks.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Before the OP goes and starts repunching a bunch or drops at the panel, have we confirmed the cable is solid aka "riser" cable?

The panels in the box are legacy, if you're going to take it all apart and start from scratch, it may be a good idea to buy cat 6 panel(s) and keystones.

edit: found on the jacket "honeywell p/n 5092"

it's riser cable. punch down, no crimping!

edit: new patch panel?

I kinda like this one better though (*Note, the reviews says to be careful about which keystones you select):

You can even get crazy and get your coax in the bottom laid out same way

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
I wouldn't bother with replacing the panels at first, just re-punching what is necessary, which I suspect will be mainly the port side vs panel side. This is the same issue at my parent's house with the ports that are flaky or not working. It really sucks that there are so many 'expert installers' out there that still claim to be able to wire ethernet and instead leave a mess like this behind. The internet is full of stories that end just like this one. :(

Mloc33

Aug 21, 2019
I wouldn't bother with replacing the panels at first, just re-punching what is necessary, which I suspect will be mainly the port side vs panel side. This is the same issue at my parent's house with the ports that are flaky or not working. It really sucks that there are so many 'expert installers' out there that still claim to be able to wire ethernet and instead leave a mess like this behind. The internet is full of stories that end just like this one. :(

That sounds more like something I might tackle, removing the panel and doing new wires would be too much, I'd be happy if I could get all the ethernet ports working in all the rooms. I'm still on the fence at the speeds I got with the live ethernet ports...

So I need to get me a punch down tool.. Any brand in particular, or will any kind do the job?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That sounds more like something I might tackle, removing the panel and doing new wires would be too much, I'd be happy if I could get all the ethernet ports working in all the rooms. I'm still on the fence at the speeds I got with the live ethernet ports...

So I need to get me a punch down tool.. Any brand in particular, or will any kind do the job?

most popular name brand will do fine, needs to be 110. Inspect the keystones in the drops first, you don't always need a punch down tool, as "tool less" are popular.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019

The wires are good from what I can tell, and re-punching isn't that hard a job at all. In fact, it's more precision work since you're basically just fixing someone's existing work. You probably won't have to re-punch everything, except maybe on the port side.

most popular name brand will do fine, needs to be 110. Inspect the keystones in the drops first, you don't always need a punch down tool, as "tool less" are popular.
What he said. :D

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Looks like a difficult task, you can check it asking the previous guy what he did in his house. You need time to find out what happens. This is :rolleyes:o_O
It's actually pretty dead simple. I did this in my apartment complex after the builders just punched it down for telephone. I even had to replace the patch panel and I was done in just a few hours (having never done anything like it before).

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That's an understatement, lol. I've ordered a punch down tool, so waiting on that...

No worries, it just takes practice. It may be slow at first, but you'll get the hang of it. You can start inspecting the drops while you wait for the tool. Pick one drop you're having problems with a take a look at it.

Reactions: Mloc33 and SamirD

Mloc33

Aug 21, 2019
No worries, it just takes practice. It may be slow at first, but you'll get the hang of it. You can start inspecting the drops while you wait for the tool. Pick one drop you're having problems with a take a look at it.

I was thinking of looking at the known working ports, then compare their wiring with the ones that are not working?

It's odd that in some rooms here, of the two ports in the rooms, only one would be "live", why would they do a half arsed job...