New high res screenies of Crysis 2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Crysis your basic alien invasion FPS.. There's absolutely nothing new about that. The plot is about as thin as Kate Moss. Whoo hoo your guy has some military suit that makes him super powerful.. that's not like any other game, is it?

The only thing that Crysis brings to the table is ridiculously good looking graphics. Nothing else about the game is innovative in any way/shape/form.

The terrain, bosses, physics, graphics, scale, and parts of the story were all top notch.

The scene with the carrier, the level inside the alien ship with no gravity, etc.

The story also flowed very well and was obviously well written.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
the level inside the alien ship with no gravity

Despite all the hate the alien portions of Crysis get, this was one of the best and most memorable levels I've seen in any FPS in years. It was more linear than the outdoor parts, but it was something genuinely different and gave the game a lot more variety than most other FPSs.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Despite all the hate the alien portions of Crysis get, this was one of the best and most memorable levels I've seen in any FPS in years. It was more linear than the outdoor parts, but it was something genuinely different and gave the game a lot more variety than most other FPSs.

I think the aircraft carrier level, along with the level in Warhead where the big alien climbs over the hill throwing cars, were great demonstrations of where the graphics actually add to the gameplay. Seeing those big creatures to scale and in detail really adds to the effect.

I remember the first time in warhead when I got to the level with the alien climbing over the hill, lights were out, headphones on, eyes right up on my 22" lcd... man, I enjoyed that moment.

I also love BioShock, HL2, CODMW, FarCry... I don't expect games to be perfect, so I enjoy them as best I can.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

Oh, and as I stated before, the director of Crytek acknowledged that the alien components of Crysis 1 were a let down because of the AI. That once you figured out they were just floating around aimlessly fighting anything that got into range, it killed the fun. He then said they spent a great deal of time and effort making the aliens in Crysis 2 "smart" so that they were "very fun to deal with". Lots of hide and seek with the aliens or some shit.. i dunno.. it's somewhere on incrysis.com