New high res screenies of Crysis 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 30, 2004
people are just bitter they still can't play Crysis. Me, Crysis was the first FPS in a LONG TIME that really held my attention. Half life 2? No thanks, way too much shooting, not nearly enough story. Crysis had enough to keep me engaged and caring where the story went. Add to that being able to completely change how you play the game each time around with the suit...fun stuff.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
people are just bitter they still can't play Crysis. Me, Crysis was the first FPS in a LONG TIME that really held my attention. Half life 2? No thanks, way too much shooting, not nearly enough story. Crysis had enough to keep me engaged and caring where the story went. Add to that being able to completely change how you play the game each time around with the suit...fun stuff.

Yeah, people act like they must run it on VERY HIGH or else it's unplayable. I had no problem playing it on my 3.2GHz P4 with an X850XT.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
The screens look pretty good, don't get me wrong, but i am along with the others who thought crysis was a tad boring. Sandbox games in general kind of get dull to me after awhile. It's not like i go back and play the same game over and over and over anyway, so why not give me a strong compelling story that will leave me wanting more.

I understand if your preferences do not meld with mine, but sandbox shooters are always kind of dull to me. I haven't played Modern warfare 2, but i played the first one and really enjoyed it (single player, mainly)... Honestly i found Bioshock (the first one, haven't got around to the second one yet) to be one of the best games FPS's i had played in recent memory.

Again, i am kind of an rpg apologist, so perhaps that is the influence, but strong stories are always a lot more interesting to me than anything else. I just wish they could mix good story lines with good graphics. Oh, and compelling characters. If i don't really care about the character, why am i playing again? There are plenty of games where i can just go out and shoot things!

Speaking of which, i have ME2 waiting in the wings, but i won't play it until i finish DA:O, which is a pain in the ass in some (most) parts.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I'd love to hear examples of FPS's with better gameplay than Crysis from the people who think it sucks.

Call of Duty? Nope, on rails kill millions of respawning enemies. Boring.

Half Life? More varied than Call of Duty, not as fun to play as Crysis. Better story and overall better game than Crysis, sure, but the shooting part of Crysis is superior.

STALKER? The combat isn't very good at all (I'm actually being nice here because I love STALKER :eek:). Great game, and probably better than Crysis, but if you're evaluating it on how fun it is to shoot things it sucks.

From a pure "how fun it is to shoot stuff" perspective, Crysis is the best FPS that has ever been made.

Last I checked, one of the major complaints about Crysis was its shooting mechanics with how enemies could absorb so many bullets from such powerful weapons without a nanosuit of their own.

Crysis isn't a game where its just fun to just shoot stuff unless you turn cheats on and give yourself the uber weapons and infinite ammo immediately, but that's not how it is, they make it very hard to kill targets and very little ammo, making you scour for weapons as well as purposefully try and keep you from shooting everything you see, emphasizing stealth and avoiding conflict.

Granted, that kind of gameplay can be fun in its own right, but you can't sit here and try and tell us this game is more fun than other FPS games because of its superior shooting aspect, an aspect that hardly exists...

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Last I checked, one of the major complaints about Crysis was its shooting mechanics with how enemies could absorb so many bullets from such powerful weapons without a nanosuit of their own.

Crysis isn't a game where its just fun to just shoot stuff unless you turn cheats on and give yourself the uber weapons and infinite ammo immediately, but that's not how it is, they make it very hard to kill targets and very little ammo, making you scour for weapons as well as purposefully try and keep you from shooting everything you see, emphasizing stealth and avoiding conflict.

Granted, that kind of gameplay can be fun in its own right, but you can't sit here and try and tell us this game is more fun than other FPS games because of its superior shooting aspect, an aspect that hardly exists...

Depends on the difficulty. What I've noticed though, is that Crytek, through interviews and such, seems to have acknowledged that "they broke the mold with the graphics, but dropped the ball with some of the finer elements of gameplay. Such as bad ai with the aliens, the game being too open with not enough focus on the story, etc."

One thing I read, which I really liked, is that they applied some constraints on the sandbox elements. In crysis, each level had just a few major goals, and you had the whole island to try and achive them. In Crysis 2, your path is going to be more focused, with many more goals in a certain area, making use of teh sandbox to apply microstrategies, instead of just one big strategy.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I never really thought of Crysis as even a game. Just a fancy benchmark.

I never thought of 3Dmark as a benchmark, more like a fancy game...jut have to figure out the plot.

See what I did there?

Subjective opinions are not facts...and Crysis is a game.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

I never understood this, even on delta I had no problem dropping guys if I aimed well. The only times I ever had trouble in Crysis was when fighting a bunch of guys at once.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Ehh Crysis wasn't that good at all. Graphics were great but that's about it. I only finished it to see the graphics and how they were. I got bored of it fairly quickly.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The screens look like something out of FMV from tiberium sun. It has that fog of war gloss crap that is used on xbox 360 games.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I must have missed the version of Crysis that a lot of other people got to play. My version was a very pedestrian sandbox FPS with good weapons, lousy AI, and very limited self-mobility that made open world firefights feel like rail shooters. And when you weren't in a firefight, you were trying to avoid one more often than not. Decent game due to the graphics and story, but I don't relate very well to people who thought it had great gameplay.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
You could also say that about 90% of FPSs in the last few years. In fact, I can't think of any singleplayer FPS since then that was clearly better than it.

Crysis was a solid and fun game, and it had more open-ended gameplay and variety in level design than what you typically see in FPSs. These things have been done before in other FPSs but are still rare in general, especially in modern times.
Exactly. It's pretty laughable if people really think it's a tech demo. I'd like to know what games they play instead.

Crysis has amazing graphics and decent to good gameplay. I love the feel of the weapons and the addons and nanosuit add to it. This coupled with the open-ended gameplay just makes it fun to play. I love going at things different ways: going totally stealthy, or making as much explosions as possible.

I haven't followed Crysis 2 much, but it sounds like they're taking the best parts of Crysis (graphics, open-ended gameplay) and improving areas that are weaker.

Sounds freakin' awesome.

And it's not that demanding. I can play it on 1680x1050 mid-high details with a far from top of the line computer. Stalker Clear Sky is much more demanding, for one.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I never understood this, even on delta I had no problem dropping guys if I aimed well. The only times I ever had trouble in Crysis was when fighting a bunch of guys at once.
I do. It's such a common but ridiculous complaint.

Just about every time, these people have the FY71 with suppressor attached, pinging them from a good distance.

Yes, the normal dudes take like 8 hits then.

They had to balance by making long range hits significantly weaker. They had to balance by having some downside to a suppressor, as well as a downside to the FY71 compared to SCAR (among other things, SCAR drops off much slower in dmg IIRC).

I don't play on Delta but I always drop guys in a couple of hits, because I use the SCAR mostly (aim well and it has plenty of ammo) and only use the suppressor when up close or unless I can make a long range headshot (strength, prone, sniper scope).

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I do. It's such a common but ridiculous complaint.

Just about every time, these people have the FY71 with suppressor attached, pinging them from a good distance.

Yes, the normal dudes take like 8 hits then.

They had to balance by making long range hits significantly weaker. They had to balance by having some downside to a suppressor, as well as a downside to the FY71 compared to SCAR (among other things, SCAR drops off much slower in dmg IIRC).

I don't play on Delta but I always drop guys in a couple of hits, because I use the SCAR mostly (aim well and it has plenty of ammo) and only use the suppressor when up close or unless I can make a long range headshot (strength, prone, sniper scope).

Oh yea! You have to take the suppressor off. It takes off like 70% of the damage. When I play Crysis Wars, I HATE it when I spawn with the suppressor on. I have myself setup to naturally take it off immediately. Then, you maul people.

The suppressor is good for sneaking up quietly, and then getting a head shot. You miss that shot, you take suppressor off and get ready for a gun fight.

It's like people saying the guns don't do enough damage don't know how to play the game.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
It seems like Crysis 2 will be easier on pc's then previous versions...

I like the Crysis and Crysis Warhead, both had fun campaign with added joy of the Nanosuit.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Crysis, like Far Cry, completely falls apart once it stops being straightforward grunts. Aliens, mutants, or Korean Cyborgs - all the same. It starts out pretty good, and goes to hell in a hand basket.

MW1 wasn't a first class game, but given a choice between annoying spawn waves or ceasing to be fun halfway through, I'll take the spawn waves every time.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
I played Crysis with my AMD64 3200+, 1GB RAM, and X1950Pro 512MB AGP pretty well.

My only hope for this game is that they dont dumb it down gameplay wise and size wise to compensate for the consoles. Companies developing the console version then PC porting to me is the worst mistake in PC gaming...thinking along the lines of Bad Company 2, Bioshock 2, etc...good games but would have been 10x better if PC exclusives...personal opinion of course.

Crysis and Crysis Warhead are fabulous games...I actually just beat Warhead again just a few days ago...people who think they are bad games otherwise either:

A. Dont have computers that can play it, so there for they never have played it

B. Are total tools and just go by what other people think

C. Cant play a challenging game that requires some thought and well planned out actions.

Simple as that...and yes I am bashing those that think Crysis is a bad game or "tech demo" because they simply don't know a good game. Period.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Wow, those faked Crysis 2 screens look even better than the faked Crysis 1 screens! -_-