new here. i got questions.

Deb016

Sep 2, 2011
hello iam new obviously :D
but i had a question about getting a graphics card put in my laptop. my goal is to be able to run Arma 2 and emptier Total war.

i currently have a Dell Studio i geuss its a 2010 version, iam not very computer savy, i have a core i3 processor and the intel HD graphics chip/card.

what is the possiblity of me getting a better card insatled on my laptop? how much would it run me for instal? wich card should i get?

thank you.
Deb016

pugh

Sep 8, 2000
I'm thinking from the start over priced to begin with even if you could get one installed by Dell. Have you headed over to their support page and asked a csr about your model and the possibility of sending back to have one installed?

I tried checking and it looked as it was a more value priced unit back then.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I'm sorry, but it's not possible to upgrade the graphics card on a laptop. At least, not unless you have a really expensive one that already has a decent graphics card -- which is not your laptop.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Dell Studios are pretty good laptops, but with them as with anything else mass-produced upgrading the GPU is a complete non-starter. Most laptops aren't designed for gaming.

Last edited:

pugh

Sep 8, 2000
I'm sorry, but it's not possible to upgrade the graphics card on a laptop. At least, not unless you have a really expensive one that already has a decent graphics card -- which is not your laptop.

Pretty much what I was thinking too. The one that is mentioned is no where near the upgradable type. Been a long time since I even seen payed attention to gaming laptops too.

Maybe think about sellling it and going with dedicated gaming gpu in it. Or purchase a desktop system which would net you more for the cash you spend.

Last edited:

trollolo

Aug 30, 2011
OP i'm in the same boat as you. as far as day to day computing, my core i5 450m is great, but them integrated graphics don't do much more than play LoL and audiosurf. save up for a desktop, best advice i can give you. (you can build an AMD APU rig for 430$)

Deb016

Sep 2, 2011
ok well is there any way to maximize the performance of my integrated graphics?

trollolo

Aug 30, 2011
can't think of any. you're really not going to play any games that were made past 2006. go play half life 2, FEAR, and counter strike. then do like i am and save up your monies for a desktop

Deb016

Sep 2, 2011
ok well do you think i would be able to run Arma:combat operations (the first one) well?

trollolo

Aug 30, 2011
ok well do you think i would be able to run Arma:combat operations (the first one) well?

i looked up a video of it on youtube. it doesn't look much better than CSS, so i'd say yes you can play it.