New headphones

Hidden Hippo

Aug 2, 2006
I've been looking at getting some better sound for my PC, but don't really want to spend £150 on some surround speakers and another £75 on some decent headphones. Therefore, I've decided that the best option would be to get a nice set of headphones. However, I'm not much of an audiophile, and as such need some advice on which set of headphones I should get.

These will be used mostly for gaming (FPSs and RPGs mainly) and as such need some decent positional audio. I know that I would like some closed headphones, purely to get rid of annoying background noise. I'd also quite like some surround sound headphones so they're compatible with my 360/PS3. The audio on my PC will be coming from an X-Fi Xtreme Music. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which headphones owuld be recommended for this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Trippytiger

Mar 3, 2005
What kind of budget do you have? That's going to be the important thing here.

Off the top of my head, though, I'd suggest taking a look at any of the Audio-Technica ATH-A500/A700/A900 headphones. They're closed, easy to drive, and have a reputation having excellent positioning and hence being great for gaming. Check them out at AudioCubes .

Hidden Hippo

Aug 2, 2006
Sorry, forgot to mention the budget entirely. I'm looking at spending around £120, but could stretch a little if completely necessary.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I'd recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-A900. They are sealed but a very 'light' fit, so extended wearing is quite easy. Great gaming headphones in my opinion.

jondl

Aug 16, 2005
the HD555/595 are open so scratch those. AT900 can be driven ampless very easily. Another closed headphone would be the Beyerdynamics DT770. Although, the DT770 would need an amp at higher volumes but with my X-fi, it got pretty good volume ampless.