New Havok Demo's From GDC

Will Phys-x be short lived now that Havoks newest software is coming out?

• Yes, Phys-x will be going the way of the dodo

• Yes, unless Phys-x truly opens the platform / hardware neutral

• No, Phys-x is better and will rull all

Results are only viewable after voting.

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
I just saw these videos: http://gaming.icrontic.com/news/havok-tells-physx-to-kiss-off/

I know that link is a little provocative (not my wording). If this can be done on mutli-core cpu w/o the need for an add in discrete card, Phys-x may be short lived? The positive thing about the Havok implementation is that it is hardware agnostic and should be more widely implemented in the developer community! Looks very interesting!

Last edited:

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
I just saw these videos: http://gaming.icrontic.com/news/havok-tells-physx-to-kiss-off/

I know that link is a little provocative (not my wording). If this can be done on mutli-core cpu w/o the need for an add in discrete card, Phys-x may be short lived? The positive thing about the Havok implementation is that it is hardware agnostic and should be more widely implemented in the developer community! Looks very interesting!

Poll should say rule all not rull... don't know how to correct it :)

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Do you see how the clay pot has break points? Isn't the whole point of PhysX is that it's dynamic and does not need break points?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Do you see how the clay pot has break points? Isn't the whole point of PhysX is that it's dynamic and does not need break points?

Didn't even have to look at your sig to know you are a Nvidia fanboy.

I watched the videos and was impressed by some of them. The clay pots scene could have been better done. So it had break points does it really matter anyways?

It seems to me that for PhysX to be praised and be the standard that nvidia needs to just open it up to all comers.

But I guess with fermi getting ready to flop or is it sizzle they need all the edge they can keep.

Yes I have an ATI card in my sig as I'm a bang for buck kinda guy. I don't like to pay over inflated prices just for the name.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Didn't even have to look at your sig to know you are a Nvidia fanboy.

I watched the videos and was impressed by some of them. The clay pots scene could have been better done. So it had break points does it really matter anyways?

It seems to me that for PhysX to be praised and be the standard that nvidia needs to just open it up to all comers.

But I guess with fermi getting ready to flop or is it sizzle they need all the edge they can keep.

Yes I have an ATI card in my sig as I'm a bang for buck kinda guy. I don't like to pay over inflated prices just for the name.

You must be an ATI fanboy for defending Havoc and owning an ATI card.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I'm curious as to how expensive a calculation this is. The whole effect that gets the best results with the least system load will be the winner imo. The cloth demo looks like more eye candy, but the destruction looks like it will be a game changer if implemented properly.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/28309

One major advantage Havok has over physx is that it can be used as a complete package. AI, destruction, cloth, behavior and it all integrates together seamlessly. I don't have to use one package for physics, another to do AI and another to do behavior.

The cloth demo needs some weight added to it. The destruction tools are very very good. Been using them now for about a month and they are not hard on the system at all since the meshes are all pre-calculated into the engine on where they break ahead of time.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/28308
That AI video is to me more impressive than any of them. AI can make or break a game and the old method was to lay out paths in the level and the entities will follow this. The new AI methods allow the path to be computed in real time.

Last edited:

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Phys-x either needs dozens of titles that see major enhancements from it (pissing off ATI card uses), or it needs to open up it's platform and go vendor neutral.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Those vidoes are really cool, this looks like a powerful middleware package. I cant wait to see it in use in games.

On another note just to clear this up:
PhysX doesnt NEED a gpu, it can be run on the CPU too. It just has the option of using a GPU as well.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You must be an ATI fanboy for defending Havoc and owning an ATI card.

Guess I was kinda harsh on you. Just seemed like a pro nvidia statement to me at the time.

I hope I didn't twist your nipples to hard :)

For the record I'm a best bang for buck fanboy!