New Grass

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
According to Scotts Representative's reply on HomeDepot website:

ScottsCustomerCare

March 14, 2018
Thank you for inquiring about Turf Builder EZSeed Sun and Shade Mix. This seed will grow fine in a clay soil, although we recommend a thin layer of topsoil to reduce water retention. The seed types available in this mix are:

1% Green Star Kentucky Bluegrass,
0.5% Avalanche Kentucky Bluegrass,
2% Silver Dollar Perenial Ryegrass,
0.5% Majesty II Perenial Ryegrass,
2% Wendy Jean Creeping Red Fescue,
1% Shademaster III Creeping Red Fescue.

So only 7% are seeds.

Creeping red fescue can grow pretty long.

h
creeping-red-3-1.jpg

My Sun and Shade mix / Perennial Rygrass can grow up to 9" when healthy.

Damn why can't I get that that in a darker shade and transplanted to my head?!?!

Here'e my front lawn redone last year, the envy of the neighborhood, uncut, unmanaged, wild. We had several weeks of hot no rain weather.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l8-d71QoCH6kQLdP2zuQS1Q0YC40QzBo/view?usp=sharing

view

Last edited:

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
The weeds are taking over because you need to get rid of the weed seed and allow the grass to mature. You can use a product like Tenacity or Tupersan that won't harm new seedlings. Then once it matures, you can apply pre and post emergent herbicides.

As for fertilizer, nitrogen is what gets seeds germinated. Starters have a large amount of phosphorus which isn't going to do much unless your soil in low in phosphorous. Any good slow release fertilizer at seeding is fine.

Feb 4, 2009
The weeds are taking over because you need to get rid of the weed seed and allow the grass to mature. You can use a product like Tenacity or Tupersan that won't harm new seedlings. Then once it matures, you can apply pre and post emergent herbicides.

As for fertilizer, nitrogen is what gets seeds germinated. Starters have a large amount of phosphorus which isn't going to do much unless your soil in low in phosphorous. Any good slow release fertilizer at seeding is fine.

Wow that’s huge, I thought all pre emergents made it hard to germinate anything. Thank you.

*looks like some of it has sprouted but it looks weak it’s a very light green more yellow looking color. I used Scott’s starter when I put the seed down. Think I should hit it with some more starter?

Edit:
I can get this stuff today, think it’s what I need?

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-Start...MI94nem8rO3QIVARgMCh3FegjKEAQYAiABEgJCZ_D_BwE

Feb 4, 2009
That's not good enough man. Even after grass seed germinates it needs constant water for several weeks after and since you're doing this in the late summer/fall it might even need supplemental watering in the spring before the roots get fully established.
As far as starter fertilizer goes apply it once when the directions on the bag say it is the proper time. No need for a second or even third application. Honestly I think starter fertilizer is a gimmick but some guys swear by it.
Also stop buying Scotts products they are complete crap especially their grass seed. Scotts is the bottom of the barrel shoved out to the consumer by the box stores like Lowes and Home Depot who only care about the bottom line. Find a local place that sells a quality product. In my area it's a store called http://kellyseedco.com/ I'm sure you have a similar store in your area.

Just out of curiosity what type of site conditions do you have? Full sun(8+ hours of direct sunlight), part sun(4-6 hours of direct sunlight), or shade(filtered light-4 hours of direct sunlight)?
What is your soil composition like? Is it clay, black top soil, or sandy loam ect.?

This area gets nearly constant sun. I tried some other brands and had no luck, that’s why I went back to Scott’s. Not sure if there are any local specialty shops left in my area.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
To grow grass from seeds is hard. I believe Scotts is fine if you do it correctly.

You have to rake the seeds into the soil or cover it with topsoil / peat moss.

And you have to water the area at least 3 times a day for a month.

If not, it takes a lot longer to germinate or the seeds will even die.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Wow that’s huge, I thought all pre emergents made it hard to germinate anything. Thank you.

*looks like some of it has sprouted but it looks weak it’s a very light green more yellow looking color. I used Scott’s starter when I put the seed down. Think I should hit it with some more starter?

Edit:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-Start...MI94nem8rO3QIVARgMCh3FegjKEAQYAiABEgJCZ_D_BwE

Like I said no green thumb here, but as far as I know too much fertilizer will just burn what you're trying to grow. That's why they tell you not to fertilize plants until they are established.

Pretty sure 'Turf Builder' is meant for established lawns. Not from seed.

Reactions: mxnerd

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
Like I said no green thumb here, but as far as I know too much fertilizer will just burn what you're trying to grow. That's why they tell you not to fertilize plants until they are established.

It's ideal for many plants to be fertilized at planting. Applying excess fertilizer at any time is bad. Nitrogen is the most limiting nutrient for plant growth as it does not stay in the soil and makes up proteins... I always apply slow release at planting unless the plant is going into dormancy for fall planting or still in dormancy for spring planting.

Edit:

Pretty sure 'Turf Builder' is meant for established lawns. Not from seed.[/QUOTE]

You should wait at least a month for another to make another application. I'm assuming you applied 1lb/N per 1000/sq ft? I actually will try that product because a granular form does not exist in the professional market (at least from my suppliers)! Tenacity will turn most weeds white which can really help you find your problem areas. The thing is, it takes a lot of applications to really kill mature weeds with it. I use it for starting grass because it can prevent and kill small things that pop up as the seeds germinate. Spraying herbicide takes forever!

Do you have a picture of your grass? It generally will have a lighter color when it first germinates. If you have a good Turf-type tall fescue, it will turn dark green in a few months.

Reactions: paperfist
Feb 4, 2009
Update:

It’s coming along, rye grass is reasonably established, first batch of fescue & bluegrass may be sprouting.
Going to add more fescue and bluegrass mix today plus a little peatmoss which I hope discourages the Turkeys from eating the seed.
Going to be high 60s to mid 70s this week.
Picture looks more full than it really is

*for clarification I put down Scott’s starter fertilizer for new grass*

VEgDvsh.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Probably last update. Filled in well but I see very little Fescue & Bluegrass hopefully more will sprout but if not I can plant some in the spring. I may try to pre-germinate then.
I need to mow it today

*the two different colors irritate me

FFEy3q6.jpg

LE2WyMn.jpg

Feb 4, 2009
Yay! Looks like the bluegrass/fescue mix is sprouting

Hard to see in the picture but new grass is in there and it’s a darker shade. My day of bad news finally had some good news.

GxRezs5.jpg