New Gmail Design sucks.....

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Gmail making design changes again and it's really bad. To big and bold and feels really laggy.

Any solutions.?
Brilliant design decision, Google! Make your e-mail so image intensive it bogs down your own creation, Chromebooks!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Gmail making design changes again and it's really bad. To big and bold and feels really laggy.

Any solutions.?

works fine for me, no performance problems and i like the new look

The performance issues seem to be hit and miss but there has been a lot of feedback out there that it is much slower for a lot of people. You can revert to the old style by clicking the gear icon

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I hate it too. Even the "compact" display density clutters the screen too much. I really don't know what these companies are thinking when they make UI changes like this... "Hey, let's add a bunch of white space and make everything bigger!"

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Yea, click settings, then click "Go back to classic style".... but then you won't have anything to bitch and whine about.... your call

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I haven't been able to load gmail since new loading screen. My computer starts smoking.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Yea, click settings, then click "Go back to classic style".... but then you won't have anything to bitch and whine about.... your call
I wasn't so much bitching and whining as I was dumbfounded that Google would issue a revision of it's premier software product that can cripple it's own burgeoning hardware product, Chromebooks.

But, anyway, thanks for reminding me that they almost always give you the option to revert to the last version. I clicked once on the "load basic HTML" option "helpfully" offered at the bottom of the page and THAT was fugly beyond belief.

It hurt my eyes and nearly turned me into a newt.*

*I got better.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
You guys that still have the "Go back to classic style" option/button are lucky. :(

Outlook.com's new design sucks as well.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This seems to be the new thing everywhere. Lagged, bloated, non-intuitive interfaces with a ton of wasted space.My company is in the process of replacing all of our internal websites with this type of design. Things that I used to be able to do in seconds, now take 5+ minutes, which can really add up over the coarse of a day. And it isn't just a "learning curve," it is the stupid interface and the fact every time you click anything it reloads and takes 30 seconds every time.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i don't mind the design so much as i do the ridiculous reduction in loading speed.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
This seems to be the new thing everywhere. Lagged, bloated, non-intuitive interfaces with a ton of wasted space.My company is in the process of replacing all of our internal websites with this type of design. Things that I used to be able to do in seconds, now take 5+ minutes, which can really add up over the coarse of a day. And it isn't just a "learning curve," it is the stupid interface and the fact every time you click anything it reloads and takes 30 seconds every time.

It's just bizarre that a company would make that decision.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
You guys that still have the "Go back to classic style" option/button are lucky. :(

Outlook.com's new design sucks as well.

Yes. Both suck now. I may disable JavaScript just to get some speed back.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It's just bizarre that a company would make that decision.
What's really sad is it is a product that all of our customers use on a daily basis, so not just pissing off internal people. I always wonder where they get the testers from, how do they not notice things take so much long to load/do? Or do they just not care?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

classic style is limited. I did that soon enough, but my "classic style" has now expired and I no longer see that option anywhere after the latest enforced roll out phase. If you are still able to access it, I assume that your time is likewise limited.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I can understand a redesign if you have unanimous feedback that you have design flaws...especially if you've added features and your original framework never had a place for new options that have been added... I can understand a redesign if you're switching from one language to another, or having to recode something because security updates made things stop working.

What bothers me is when they try to make web clients more full-featured without an app. The whole point of stateless connections is that they load quick and are lightweight. When you start bogging it down, you're missing the point. I remember when I used to use yahoo mail often....they tried to add features to compete and lost me. I still mostly use gmail in an app, but often login via the web. I hope they continue to work on performance instead of chalking it up to the latest gen of processors or a 10meg connection to the internet being too slow for standard web traffic. (millenials must be running that place)

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
Set it up as an IMAP account in Thunderbird?

Yep, IMAP in your preferred e-mail client. i tend to use outlook simply because i have it. clients on my phone and tablet work well too.

I felt i had to do this some years ago. things are easier and a whole lot less of wasted space and crap.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yea, new interface is meh ...
I think I have to set up and use a real email client again ...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Initial loading speed stinks. I know 5 seconds in perspective isn't a lot, but I've been used to it insta-loading for years. Don't take stuff away from me, dangit! :D

I literally just had a message fail to send because of network speed. Sitting on business cable here, don't give me that BS lol.