New gigabit fiber internet, new router, slow wifi download but fast upload?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The Wireless Hardware capacity is based on Chipset and the additional components that are in the Wireless Router Box.

There is only 6 manufacturer that make Chipset and all the Wireless Router Box maker use one or the other.

So one might ask why Product A is better than B if they use the same Chipset?

That is because the manufacturers need to make money on the product and they invest very little in further research and production of good components that are needed past the chipset.

The best example is the Antennae, look here and you will see a collection of Antennae are for processional use (you want them inside your "Beautiful" home).

https://www.data-alliance.net/antennas/

By calling something a fancy name (like AiMesh) and changing the software of the firmware you do not do Much to solve real problems of Wireless propagation.

The Physical enviroment, the needs of End user, the perception of their family about "Decore", and the "Deepness" of their pocket are much more crucial than the make believe technology of the Hardware provider "Verbal Games".

In other words, many people are Doomed if they can Not (or would Not) run wires and all the Drama Queening over the Internet would Not solve it.o_O

:cool:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
For some reason I had to rename the router to the same name I had before the factory reset for wireless, for it to pick up wireless signal again.

I'm getting these speeds on my desktop which is hard wired.
b9de93470618fb92e840325dd7ea43b6.jpg

Wireless is slower: before factory reset wireless was 200-300mb not sure what happened.

8b03397217b09df9120e266772f52edd.jpg

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
For some reason I had to rename the router to the same name I had before the factory reset for wireless, for it to pick up wireless signal again.

I'm getting these speeds on my desktop which is hard wired.

Wireless is slower: before factory reset wireless was 200-300mb not sure what happened.

It kinda looks like you have my problem now... ?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I got the new router that supported DFS channels so I could get off the crowded regulated 5 GHz channels.

It didn't do anything to help. I got the same speeds as I did on my Airport Extreme with the DFS channels enabled, 200ish down and 400-600 up.

I returned it after I realized netgear didn't support most DDNS providers and it didn't have good VPN server settings.

I am convinced it's a problem with Speedtest and not a real networking issue. I reliably see 400+ Mbit/s down when I test via MeasurementLabs speed test, and I ran some long-term download tests via wireless to my phone and laptop and saw sustained transfer rates of 400-600 Mbit/s down.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So I'm not gonna go back and read all the posts, bit have you considered booting linux up and testing with that?

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
37383803.png

I don't pay for gigabit plan but I have the full meal deal with Comcast. Just got a new Xfi gateway router. Here are the results.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't pay for gigabit plan but I have the full meal deal with Comcast. Just got a new Xfi gateway router. Here are the results.
Well, you're obviously on their Gigabit DOCSIS plan. Don't forget, they gave tier upgrades to people lately, that were on triple-play or better.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Well, you're obviously on their Gigabit DOCSIS plan. Don't forget, they gave tier upgrades to people lately, that were on triple-play or better.
I just got a new modem in the mail today. I think it's DOCSIS 3.1 Has the telephone feature and only two ethernet ports instead of 4 ethernet ports like the modem before. I use my Netgear 6400 router as the daisy chain router and gigabit ports for a total of 6 gigabit ports. On my previous modem my download speeds were 480mbps down and 6mbps up. Before they changed the plan my upload speed was 12mbps up but my download speed was around 240mbps with that upload speed.

So nothing has changed other than the new Xfi modem that I installed today. Now my upload speeds are really good. Just remember with cable internet they have impressive speed test results but real world download results are in the 20MB-50MB range typically. Nothing close to gigabit for sustained downloads. I will do my dead of the night tests to see if I can get 100MB down sustained on a game download.

I also want to point out that cable internet uses a lot of channel bonding technology which starts out slow and ramps up like a bodybuilder on steroids. It's like they throw in a speedball for good measure to kick it up a notch. Think uppers, downers and a few antidepressants mixed in. That is what cable internet is like. You can be flying high with 70mb's plus and then brought back down to 10MB's only to see it kick up to 35MB and hold steady. Right now my test download of BF4 on Origin is doing 41MB.

I was doing a speedtest earlier and was kicked with the server saying my download speed exceeded 1gigabit download speed. That is cable modem technology for you. Not streamlined and consistent like a fiber connection.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
To add to the OP's main topic. I have yet to see a wifi setup that can stream beyond 500mbps up or down. That would be a wireless AC connection. For example the fastest powerline (real world) download speed over internet is 160-165mbps be it an AV1200 or AV2000 powerline kit. I would like to see real world internet transfer speeds over a gigabit connection of files 2 or 3 gigabytes to see how many mb's they can move per second. Real world you should be moving 120-123MB's (megabytes) per second on a gigabit connection that tests in the 980mbps down range.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I can push 113MB/sec to/from my NAS on Gigabit LAN.

Was just looking at 10GBase-T QNAP NAS units ($650), and 10GBase-T 8-port switches (around the same price).

Looks like it would be a sweet setup, 1000MB/sec. That's faster than a SATA6G internal SSD! You would need Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe SSDs to even keep up!

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Upload is faster for me too on wifi as well.
Macbook Pro with 3x3 Ubiquiti UAP-XG-US AP about 5 meters away.

bUIjz4p.png

Reactions: Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Upload is faster for me too on wifi as well.
Macbook Pro with 3x3 Ubiquiti UAP-XG-US AP about 5 meters away.

bUIjz4p.png

I don't know what is more impressive, your down/up speeds or the $800 price tag for your access point.

Reactions: Fir

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I don't know what is more impressive, your down/up speeds or the $800 price tag for your access point.
It can be accomplished with the Ubiquiti AC HD pro ($275-300) as well.

I've seen some tests with 3x3 Macbook pro and the UAP-AC HD Pro at 1-2 meters hitting 880mbps+ down and up.

pic related
12NFG92.jpg

Reactions: Hans Gruber and Fir

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
The closest I can get is about 5 meters away. These are mounted where they belong, on the ceiling!

Wait until the Ruckus 730 comes out! That's breaking into the 100Gbps barrier and will handle thousands of high speed clients. It will be expensive but then again anything that's enterprise worthy usually is. ;)

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
The closest I can get is about 5 meters away. These are mounted where they belong, on the ceiling!

Wait until the Ruckus 730 comes out! That's breaking into the 100Gbps barrier and will handle thousands of high speed clients. It will be expensive but then again anything that's enterprise worthy usually is. ;)
Pretty sure the one I posted was also ceiling or wall mounted, just happened to be in an apartment in NYC, so they were able to get fairly close to the access point for testing.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
It can be accomplished with the Ubiquiti AC HD pro ($275-300) as well.

I've seen some tests with 3x3 Macbook pro and the UAP-AC HD Pro at 1-2 meters hitting 880mbps+ down and up.

pic related
12NFG92.jpg
I am going to bring up an interesting suggestion. Has anybody actually done a download of a large file from a server that can be monitored for peak and sustained download speed as well as upload speed? I say this because even though I can post impressive comcast/xfinity download speeds using speedtest. I did several tests using Origin and Steam and my max download speed was high 50's.

I know people can sling files from server to server to test download and upload speeds. I am just curious to see if all you fiber guys are getting advertised speeds in real world tests not just speed test benchmarks like speedtest.net or dslreports

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I haven't measured, not directly at least, but I was using the MS Media Creation Tool to download various Windows 10 1803 ISOs, and making flash drives and DVD-Rs, and it downloads the ISO every time you use it, and it was counting on the progress screen by like five percent each time, rather than 1-2 percent. It only took maybe less than 10 minutes to grab each of the ISOs. (Gigabit FIOS is niiiice for downloading ISOs from Microsoft, and games from Steam.)

You know that you can get a fairly instantaneous graph of ethernet upload / download, using Task Manager in Windows 10.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I am going to bring up an interesting suggestion. Has anybody actually done a download of a large file from a server that can be monitored for peak and sustained download speed as well as upload speed? I say this because even though I can post impressive comcast/xfinity download speeds using speedtest. I did several tests using Origin and Steam and my max download speed was high 50's.

I know people can sling files from server to server to test download and upload speeds. I am just curious to see if all you fiber guys are getting advertised speeds in real world tests not just speed test benchmarks like speedtest.net or dslreports

I can do steam downloads and star citizen download at 80MB/s+
Microsoft ISOs at 110MB/s+
QSaRLvv.jpg

Reactions: Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I can do steam downloads and star citizen download at 80MB/s+
Microsoft ISOs at 110MB/s+
QSaRLvv.jpg
mnewsham,
Who is your ISP and is that a fiber connection you have? Very impressive. It would be interesting to see if any Comcast gigabit customer gets anywhere near your speed. I don't have the gigabit plan but a plan that is up to a gigabit if that makes any sense. They basically figured out a way to cheat the speedtest sites but you don't get anywhere near a gigabit in real world downloads. I will keep testing my connection. I am happy with my new upload speed of 40mbps.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
mnewsham,
Who is your ISP and is that a fiber connection you have? Very impressive. It would be interesting to see if any Comcast gigabit customer gets anywhere near your speed. I don't have the gigabit plan but a plan that is up to a gigabit if that makes any sense. They basically figured out a way to cheat the speedtest sites but you don't get anywhere near a gigabit in real world downloads. I will keep testing my connection. I am happy with my new upload speed of 40mbps.
Verizon FiOS 1gbps, so yeah, full fiber.

Also depends on the time of day, peak hours on steam hits between 400-600mbps, late night almost always can hit 750mbps+

Comcast here offers 1gbps DOCSIS or 2gbps FTTH fiber, but they charge $10 more than Verizon for 1gbps while offering only 30-40mbps upload compared to Verizon's 1gbps upload.
Their 2gbps service is great, but expensive and useless for most people without upgrading their router, switches, and NICs to support 10GbE, or SFP+.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I usually have no issues downloading stuff either. Gigabit fios here using a nighthawk dts router.

Hellblade and prey downloaded within 10 minutes on steam and suprisingly even the PS4 pro on wireless downloaded the Hitman game and a few others which were 6-19gb of data within 15-20 minutes.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
I do large transfers to backblaze, glacier and others. 10-40TB monthly. No issues with speeds.
The speed test is just that, to find out quickly if you have an issue with your connection that needs looking into.