New Geforce classes confirmed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
It isn't any better to buy a new card more often. You simply lose less money more frequently (and ends up adding to more of a loss actually) rather than lose a lot every other year. The only thing that makes any real sense is to admit defeat and embrace the console revolution. Seems like the GPU industry is trying to "encourage" PC gamers to move toward consoles in order for their profitability to really increase. They do this by over charging for mid range products and discouraging purchases of GPU's by releasing the same card for $100.00 less like they did with the 670. In another few months they will hammer us again with the 685. They want us to grow tired if this and embrace the new console revolution coming with the new console generation.
They create a problem for us, and then offer us the solution in the form of a console.

Don't be ridiculous. Not only you lose less money if you upgrade and sell frequently, but you also get the perk of always using the best technology has to offer. If you want to keep your 570s, go ahead. One 670 would perform just as well (and better in VRAM limited scenarios) and would probably net $100 in your pocket at the end of the year just in power savings. You would actually EARN money from switching to a 670 right now until the end of the year.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
It isn't any better to buy a new card more often. You simply lose less money more frequently (and ends up adding to more of a loss actually) rather than lose a lot every other year. The only thing that makes any real sense is to admit defeat and embrace the console revolution. Seems like the GPU industry is trying to "encourage" PC gamers to move toward consoles in order for their profitability to really increase. They do this by over charging for mid range products and discouraging purchases of GPU's by releasing the same card for $100.00 less like they did with the 670. In another few months they will hammer us again with the 685. They want us to grow tired of this and embrace the new console revolution coming with the new console generation.
They create a problem for us, and then offer us the solution in the form of a console.

Stop trying to think. You're not very good at it.

Ieat

Jan 18, 2012
Don't be ridiculous. Not only you lose less money if you upgrade and sell frequently, but you also get the perk of always using the best technology has to offer. If you want to keep your 570s, go ahead. One 670 would perform just as well (and better in VRAM limited scenarios) and would probably net $100 in your pocket at the end of the year just in power savings. You would actually EARN money from switching to a 670 right now until the end of the year.

That's very similar to what I did. I sold my gtx 560 448s for $390 and bought a gtx 670. Performance is in the same ball park unless I max overclocked the gtx 448s that would create a maybe a 15% to 20% gap but the noise was unbearable at those clocks and power consumption would have been a ton more.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Stop trying to think. You're not very good at it.

The poster creates multiple threads asserting his beliefs and opinions as facts. Spreads misinformation as fact (did he even read the release information or just the title?) and trash talks people who spent money on top end GPU's.. on a hardware forum.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
. If you want to keep your 570s, go ahead. One 670 would perform just as well (and better in VRAM limited scenarios) and would probably net $100 in your pocket at the end of the year just in power savings. You would actually EARN money from switching to a 670 right now until the end of the year.

Doubt it.

This compares 580 sli vs a 680.. but the 570sli vs a 670 will not be very different.

In Crysis it is about a 33% hit to switch to a single card @1080 and almost 48% @1600. 24% In Metro even in eyefinity..

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/584?vs=555

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
It isn't any better to buy a new card more often. You simply lose less money more frequently (and ends up adding to more of a loss actually) rather than lose a lot every other year. The only thing that makes any real sense is to admit defeat and embrace the console revolution. Seems like the GPU industry is trying to "encourage" PC gamers to move toward consoles in order for their profitability to really increase. They do this by over charging for mid range products and discouraging purchases of GPU's by releasing the same card for $100.00 less like they did with the 670. In another few months they will hammer us again with the 685. They want us to grow tired of this and embrace the new console revolution coming with the new console generation.

Damn bro, I have two 680's. I guess I should sell them for what little I can get and buy a 3DS?

Yea, you should probably stop trying to analyze stuff, it doesn't fit you :thumbsup:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Further evidence that we are nothing more than half evolved primates who will jump off a cliff in an effort to get their hands on that new shiny thing.

And yet you are complaining that you don't have the money to get your hands on that shiny new thing.

At least you included yourself in the group of primates.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Damn bro, I have two 680's. I guess I should sell them for what little I can get and buy a 3DS?

Yea, you should probably stop trying to analyze stuff, it doesn't fit you :thumbsup:

Don't worry bro when they release the 685 R+ 4gb version you are going to sell everything you own and max your credit cards out.. because moonboy said so.

And everyone must fit into the budgeting world of moonboy too.. there is no way that someone makes considerably more money than he does and can afford to buy their shiny toys, because he can't justify it we are all idiots.

Don't worry moonboy we will sell you our shiny hardware when the next thing comes out and when race to get the newest shiny.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
If you think prices are too high, you can thank AMD for setting the standard with the 7 series, and all those idiots who went out and bought it.

That's a load of garbage on many levels. How long was the GTX 580 priced at $500 again? That's not counting the GTX 580 3GB models that cost more than the 7970 did at launch.

You are also ignoring when Nvidia was pricing their top tier single GPU cards @ $600+. AMD was the one that forced Nvidia to stop selling so high.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
That's a load of garbage on many levels. How long was the GTX 580 priced at $500 again? That's not counting the GTX 580 3GB models that cost more than the 7970 did at launch.

You are also ignoring when Nvidia was pricing their top tier single GPU cards @ $600+. AMD was the one that forced Nvidia to stop selling so high.

Lol okay.

There is no excuse for a company for selling their product at a 40% markup across the board from their previous gen. If "tomorrow" AMD released an 8970 that is 40% faster than the 7970, are they entitled to another 40% markup? Supposed it falls between 680 and 690 performance. What should be the price, $750?

The history of AMD price drops over the last few months proves you wrong, what am I talking for.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Lol okay.

There is no excuse for a company for selling their product at a 40% markup across the board from their previous gen. If "tomorrow" AMD released an 8970 that is 40% faster than the 7970, are they entitled to another 40% markup? Supposed it falls between 680 and 690 performance. What should be the price, $750?

The history of AMD price drops over the last few months proves you wrong, what am I talking for.

This argument has been beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten again. 5 times. I thought we were past this? lol. They sold it for what they could get because they were the only new product to the market. Simple. Done.

Let's go back to ridiculing the OP, thanks.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
You are to me as a puppet is to a puppet master.

Your dual GTX 680's are to Nvidia as a punch line is to a joke.

I'm crying now, is this what you wanted? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? :colbert:

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Seems like the GPU industry is trying to "encourage" PC gamers to move toward consoles in order for their profitability to really increase.

Historically the amount of $ that NV and AMD have made from consoles isn't that signifcant. NV's revenues are about $600 million dollars from discrete GPU business a quarter. You think they care to make $100 million dollars on PS4 / Wii U to lose $ in their core business segment?

They do this by over charging for mid range products and discouraging purchases of GPU's by releasing the same card for $100.00 less like they did with the 670.

GTX670 provides HD7970 level of performance while that card came out for $550. $150 is at least some progress. I realize the price/performance in this generation is not great but that just means you can skip this generation, especially with 2x GTX570s!

In another few months they will hammer us again with the 685. They want us to grow tired of this and embrace the new console revolution coming with the new console generation.

There is no evidence for that though. GK110 isn't launching until Q4 2012 in the Tesla market. NV would rather sell those chips for $3,000+ to professionals. Thus, I don't think NV is in a rush to sell GTX685 to the consumer market, when they can easily release it in 2013 to combat HD8000 series.

I am pretty sure GTX570 SLI provides better graphics than any console today. In that case, just wait until faster/cheaper cards are out and keep your 570s. There are people who'd agree with you and say that upgrading from 570s in SLI to 680s in SLI isn't worth $1,000. Others might make $1,000 a day. This generation is expensive not only because of AMD and NV but 28nm node shrink has proven to be way more expensive than before. AMD and NV are passing on some of those higher wafer costs to us, the consumers.

Once you consider the cost of console games vs. PC games, console gaming isn't really cheaper. Sure, consoles have their advantages, but because the games for them cost so much more $, the cheaper PC games quickly help to offset the expensive hardware cost. (I am not even going to get into any other console vs. PC factors).

8800GTX, GTX280 and 6800 Ultra generation had even higher prices. I remember GTX280 launched for $650 and 12 months later I got HD4890 for $175 that offered 90% of that card's performance. The latest and greatest hardware always costs a lot of $. Over time it gets cheaper. You just have to time your upgrades or make more $ so that $1,000 is pocket change ;).

I think it's just a matter of income levels and priorities. Some people might save up a long time to buy $1,000 worth of GPUs. Others won't buy a GPU if its price exceeds 1 day of their income. Some of my friends won't buy a car if it costs more than 3 months of their annual income, while others buy a $17,000 car and pay it off over 5 years.

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004

Rubbish, 480,580 and 680 have all launched at same price!

d3fu5i0n

Feb 15, 2011
I love my GTX 670. Money well spent.

I can second that. I was sceptical at first; and to be honest, I still feel a little sick at the thought of the internal naming and what the card really is [I personally think of the 680 as the 660Ti's successor and the 670 (due to the small increase) as the 560 [non-Ti]'s replacement].
But overall, the performance is great; and so are the acoustics.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I can second that. I was sceptical at first; and to be honest, I still feel a little sick at the thought of the internal naming and what the card really is [I personally think of the 680 as the 660Ti's successor and the 670 (due to the small increase) as the 560 [non-Ti]'s replacement].
But overall, the performance is great; and so are the acoustics.

This is it right here. I know you are out there, a lot of you actually. Noone wants to be honest about it. Noone wants to admit that we are getting robbed but will take delight in it as it happens. Hell, I will probably end up giving in and grabbing a couple 670's myself. Doesn't mean i'll like it!

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
This is it right here. I know you are out there, a lot of you actually. Noone wants to be honest about it. Noone wants to admit that we are getting robbed but will take delight in it as it happens. Hell, I will probably end up giving in and grabbing a couple 670's myself. Doesn't mean i'll like it!

Value is determined by what people wish to pay and the volume to support it. Gold and diamonds are basicly worthless. Yet its still got a very high value.

People pay 400$ for a GTX 670 because they say thats what its worth.

I would also like a brand new BMW M5 for 50$. Just a shame it wont happen. Because everyone else decides its worth alot more.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

Ya, many people were dissatisfied with the generational leap of this generation; and yet they still upgraded. Looks like you will follow that path which is why NV and AMD also have no reason to drop prices. As long as there is demand, they'll keep selling $400-500 GPUs. Even GTX690 went up to $1000 from $700 that GTX590 cost. Look at the 690 - it's sold out everywhere.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Lol okay.

Tell us more about your great business sense and qualifications.

BTW yes AMD can charge whatever they want for their next graphics card.. they could sell them for a huge loss, or a huge profit, but they'll probably settle for somewhere between the two extremes.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009

I hope you do get some 670s so you will stop posting about how abused you are. FORCED to upgrade your lowly 570s. Entitled consumer child is entitled.

What kind of idiot buys something that is completely unnecessary that they know they will not like and feel buyers remorse immediately for? I honestly think that you should talk to a shrink about this. You either do not have enough to worry about in your life.. or you are at some kind of breaking point and have lost perspective.