New Geforce classes confirmed

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I F-ing knew it. Guru3d has new drivers up, and sure enough there is a new class of geforce cards called GT 600 series. These are likely under the GTX class of cards of course, and this is all but confirmation that yet another class is coming for the real Kepler cards. I want two 670's but I just know I will be crying a river after realizing I BLEW $900.00 on two overpriced mid range cards, especially when the real deal comes around and 670 resale value drops like a rock. Anyone who can run games now should wait for sure. 670/680 are not the high end in any way.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I want two 670's but I just know I will be crying a river after realizing I BLEW $900.00 on two overpriced mid range cards, especially when the real deal comes around and 670 resale value drops like a rock.

Even if GTX670/680 were high-end cards, they would be made mid-range in 12 months anyway since HD8000 and GTX770/780 series will ensure that they are. Look what happened to GTX480 when GTX570/580 launched. Even refreshes can result in large drops in resale value. This is because GPUs are not an investment and you can't really future proof. Just upgrade when the games you run no longer play to your satisfaction if you want to save $ or upgrade more frequently so that the GPU doesn't drop too much in value.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I F-ing knew it. Guru3d has new drivers up, and sure enough there is a new class of geforce cards called GT 600 series. These are likely under the GTX class of cards of course, and this is all but confirmation that yet another class is coming for the real Kepler cards. I want two 670's but I just know I will be crying a river after realizing I BLEW $900.00 on two overpriced mid range cards, especially when the real deal comes around and 670 resale value drops like a rock. Anyone who can run games now should wait for sure. 670/680 are not the high end in any way.

WHUT? Do you not read front pages of tech sites? The 600 GT lineup is based off of last year's (and the year before) Fermi architecture. The gtx680 is as high end as it's going to get for a single GPU-card from Nvidia for the remainder of this year.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5845/...ased-geforce-gt-610-gt-620-gt-630-into-retail
http://www.techpowerup.com/166141/MSI-Launches-its-GeForce-GT-600-Series-Graphics-Cards.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/166139/L...of-Winfast-GeForce-GT-600-Graphics-Cards.html

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The main thing that bothers me is that traditionally they release the true high end card from a new architecture first, followed by cut down versions and the mid range variants. The way they are doing it now ensures that if you want the best from this architecture, you have to either wait a really long time, or buy twice. This sucks. You know GK110 is coming. If I spend high end money I want the best from the architecture, not parts intended for mid range. Thats all i'm saying.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009

I want to strangle baby kittens..

Please, please.. stop making threads lamenting the fact that you cannot buy a 670 or 680. Just stop. I don't even think you read most of the replies in your other thread about the same thing (except minus the FUD which made it better.)

/banging head into wall

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
moonbogg, what video card are you running in your gaming rig? Mine are posted in my sig below.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
2X GTX 570 SLI. I can buy two 670's now with real money. I don't use credit for anything. I'm not rich though, and when you part with actual money, all at once, it makes you think twice about what you buy when nearly $1,000.00 cash leaves your hands in an instant. For that money I want the real deal. Things run fine now, but I am always on BF3 @ 1080p and I need to turn textures to high (everything else ultra with 4xAA) due to Vram limit. I get about 50-100fps. I have the Asus 27" 3D monitor for 120hz gaming, so the upgrade is warranted, but again, i'm not interested in buying mid range cards for inflated high end prices, and you shouldn't be either.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
At this point I dont expect more powerful 600 series cards. I think the big chip kepler refresh will bring with it a 700 series designation. And I dont expect it until 2013. Probably next Spring.

mdlam

Oct 8, 2008
There are a newly released gt 600 series. However its 40nm Fermi arch and its for business graphics...and its a low end product. Review on anandtech

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I get ur point but if u are really unhappy about the new Kepler shoot a mail to NV complaining about it ():)
This is directed to OP

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
real kepler won't be a 700 designation at all. You are fooling yourself into thinking your new 670 was a good purchase. It will either be GTX 685 or a new designation like a GTR 600 or something like that. it will either be released too close to the 700 series to make it worth it, or it will push the 700 series back even further, which would be fine. Either way, buying the GTX 600 series is a bad idea unless you are hurting for an upgrade, OR are using credit and don't care since you have no issue with making payments and the cards end up costing $750.00 each with interest.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
real kepler won't be a 700 designation at all. You are fooling yourself into thinking your new 670 was a good purchase. It will either be GTX 685 or a new designation like a GTR 600 or something like that. it will either be released too close to the 700 series to make it worth it, or it will push the 700 series back even further, which would be fine. Either way, buying the GTX 600 series is a bad idea unless you are hurting for an upgrade, OR are using credit and don't care since you have no issue with making payments and the cards end up costing $750.00 each with interest.

Show us some proof or stop spamming misinformation. You are either a troll or an obsessed child.

There is nothing wrong with his 670 purchase. Purchasing a graphics card is not an investment. It is like purchasing any technology. More than half of your 14 posts so far are either ragging on people for their purchase, talking about how you magically know nvidia's business strategy is to fool everyone into thinking they're getting high end cards, or posting misinformation as fact.

Stop flooding the boards with your nonsense. We get it. You do not think it is smart to buy a 670 or 680 right now. Message received.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
haha, paying interest is a good idea then?

I am willing to bet that everyone reading this could buy a 670 or a freaking 690 if they made it a priority in their life. Just because you haven't doesn't mean that the 670 is a bad deal.

The utility of it just doesn't meet your requirements at it's current price. You might as well pretend it doesn't exist, then, rather than complain about it.

I am willing to bet that some folks here have a second car payment that costs more than the one time costs of these cards. If they decide to buy one, what's it to you?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
How would Intel be viewed if they released the 2600K for $500.00 and then 3 weeks later launched a 2600K "reduced version" at 100mhz less stock frequency for $400.00 only to release 6 months after that a 2600K extreme with 6 cores for $550.00? Firstly, everyone would take notice that the prices were all too high to begin with, then people would feel ripped off due to the releases after the initial product. People wouldn't tolerate that. The GPU industry thrives on impulse buying morons who will buy and then sell and buy again as little as ONE MONTH after their initial purchase! People are doing that with their 680's to buy the 670. These same geniuses will sell off their whole GPU setup to get two real Kepler cards when they hit at the end of this year.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
How would Intel be viewed if they released the 2600K for $500.00 and then 3 weeks later launched a 2600K "reduced version" at 100mhz less stock frequency for $400.00 only to release 6 months after that a 2600K extreme with 6 cores for $550.00? Firstly, everyone would take notice that the prices were all too high to begin with, then people would feel ripped off due to the releases after the initial product. People wouldn't tolerate that. The GPU industry thrives on impulse buying morons who will buy and then sell and buy again as little as ONE MONTH after their initial purchase! People are doing that with their 680's to buy the 670. These same geniuses will sell off their whole GPU setup to get two real Kepler cards when they hit at the end of this year.

So what's it to you? This is a hobby you know. It costs less to keep a card for a few months and replace it than to keep a card for years to a point where it completely devalues.

If you think prices are too high, you can thank AMD for setting the standard with the 7 series, and all those idiots who went out and bought it.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So what's it to you? This is a hobby you know. It costs less to keep a card for a few months and replace it than to keep a card for years to a point where it completely devalues. If you think prices are too high, you can thank AMD for setting the standard with the 7 series, and all those idiots who went out and bought it.

Yes, and I do thank them. Further evidence that we are nothing more than half evolved primates who will jump off a cliff in an effort to get their hands on that new shiny thing.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
So, this all boils down to Moonbogg is mad that he can't buy a new card cuz it would use up his savings?

May 13, 2009
I honestly don't regret my purchase of the 670. I know it wasn't the greatest value known to man but it sure is a kick butt card. Sometimes it isn't all about buying the cheapest thing you can find and most bang for your buck. If that was the case I'd kept my old card. Sometimes its fun to just say screw it I want a new toy.

I do agree with the credit part. If you're having to make payments then its a very bad idea. Stuff like this definitely falls under the want and not need category.

Ieat

Jan 18, 2012
So what happens to the value of your cards if in the course of your waiting game nvidia releases a gtx 660 at $299. That would drop of the value of a gtx 580 to low $200's and your cards probably into the $175 range. Bottom line is its all a gamble anyway.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Yes, and I do thank them. Further evidence that we are nothing more than half evolved primates who will jump off a cliff in an effort to get their hands on that new shiny thing.

Once again, gaming is a hobby and a passion, you don't profit from it.

If you don't want something, don't buy it, don't come crying about it on the forums.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So what happens to the value of your cards if in the course of your waiting game nvidia releases a gtx 660 at $299. That would drop of the value of a gtx 580 to low $200's and your cards probably into the $175 range. Bottom line is its all a gamble anyway.

It isn't any better to buy a new card more often. You simply lose less money more frequently (and ends up adding to more of a loss actually) rather than lose a lot every other year. The only thing that makes any real sense is to admit defeat and embrace the console revolution. Seems like the GPU industry is trying to "encourage" PC gamers to move toward consoles in order for their profitability to really increase. They do this by over charging for mid range products and discouraging purchases of GPU's by releasing the same card for $100.00 less like they did with the 670. In another few months they will hammer us again with the 685. They want us to grow tired of this and embrace the new console revolution coming with the new console generation.
They create a problem for us, and then offer us the solution in the form of a console.