New Garmin Nuvi - 680 model

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Homepage

Amazon

Review

The 660 has been on my wishlist for some time, now they come out with this. I'll never win :p Priced at a hefty $999, available in March. It's basically a 660 plus the MSN Direct thing, which is neat because I was wondering why there weren't any GPS devices that let you see local gas prices. The first 12 months of MSN Direct is free, after that it's $50 a year or $130 for a lifetime subscription, not too bad. Provides traffic, gas prices, weather, and movie times, pretty dang handy. Uses the FM network for downloading data; see the review above for more info on it or the MSN Direct site.

Special features:
-GPS (high sensitivity, WAAS-enabled) with voice street announcements
-3D maps
-4.3" widescreen touch panel (LCD TFT) @ 480x272
-Bluetooth speakerphone for your cell phone
-Alarm clock
-MP3 Music & JPEG Photo player
-Free MSN Direct with Weather, Traffic, and Gas Prices

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: JoPh
i love my nuvi 350. its great.

Yeah I was originally going to get that, then the 360, then the 660. The 680 is finally exactly what I want - gas prices plus a nice big touchscreen. Just gotta wait for the price to get more reasonable :p

How do you like it btw?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: MazerRackham
I bought a Garmin c530 a while ago and it's been just awesome. The 680 does indeed look nice...

Yeah I'd love to have that MSN Direct feature...$130 for a lifetime subscription is pretty decent. The gas price thing is really nice, I usually have to fill up at least twice a week, and the traffic data would be great since I drive through Hartford to get home...traffic jams can tack on another hour of driving :p

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
you know what'd be hot?

A GPS that piggybacks off off your phone's DUN via Bluetooth and get's all the information without the extra cost.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
you know what'd be hot?

A GPS that piggybacks off off your phone's DUN via Bluetooth and get's all the information without the extra cost.

Good point. The Nuvi models already have Bluetooth connections to your cell phone... Why can't they piggyback onto the EV-DO network connection?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
you know what'd be hot?

Good point. The Nuvi models already have Bluetooth connections to your cell phone... Why can't they piggyback onto the EV-DO network connection?

Yeah, but then again with the MSN Direct service it's over FM, so that's one less thing to worry about. Of course you have to pay, but you'd have to pay for EVDO too...

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaido
you know what'd be hot?

Yeah, but then again with the MSN Direct service it's over FM, so that's one less thing to worry about. Of course you have to pay, but you'd have to pay for EVDO too...

That said, if I already pay for EV-DO, so MSN Direct is one MORE thing worry about for ME,

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Kaido
you know what'd be hot?

That said, if I already pay for EV-DO, so MSN Direct is one MORE thing worry about for ME,

but you aren't actually going to buy one anyway, are you?

So stop worrying. ;)