Question new gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
It is indeed a weird timing to buy an inferior CPU right now, but if you want to go intel route then the best bang for buck is 10600K with a solid Z490 board. You can even upgrade to 8 core Rocketlake next year as it should provide noticeably better performance across the board than 10600K.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
Around here, we don't ask what your current setup is, budget, gaming resolution, and games you're playing. We just make random recommendations!
i want to play on 4k @60hz i am upgrading only cpu ram and motherboard my current specs are:
gtx 1660ti 6gb
seasonic x650 gold psu
corsair carbide spec 03
which z490 motherboard will you recommend and ram?

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
i want to play on 4k @60hz i am upgrading only cpu ram and motherboard my current specs are:
gtx 1660ti 6gb
seasonic x650 gold psu
corsair carbide spec 03
which z490 motherboard will you recommend and ram?

If you want to stay with Intel, a 10600K is a great choice
MSI MEG Z490 Ace its a strong board with solid VRM's
Sell you graphics card if you want to play @ 4K. Start saving for a RTX 3070 or (similar) upcoming Radeon 6000 series

P.S. I know you're considering Intel only but if you want the best for you buck, keep your options open and consider the best performance/price parts for your budget. Saying "Intel only" greatly limits your choices, specially now that Ryzen 5000 series is about to be launched

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
ryzen 5000 will be of same price as intel? and i will play at 1080p till i get gpu thats not prblem and can you tell tell in ram timing is important or frequency does 3600mhz really help?
or go with 3000?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
ryzen 5000 will be of same price as intel? and i will play at 1080p till i get gpu thats not prblem and can you tell tell in ram timing is important or frequency does 3600mhz really help?
or go with 3000?
If you go with the 10600K as Gikaseixas recommended, it looks like reviews are recommending 3200 - 3600mhz. That will allow you room to overclock. You ideally want something CL16 (timing) or less.

You can get a 10600K for around $270. That's a 6 core / 12 thread CPU with speeds between 4.1ghz - 4.8ghz. Looks like the cheapest Ryzen 5000 is the 5600X. It is 6 core / 12 thread with speeds between 3.7ghz - 4.6ghz. It cost $299 MSRP but right now we do not have independent benchmark performance, availability or street pricing until it's released Nov 5th. If you can wait until then, you will be able to make a better decision on which way you want to go.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
or go with 3000?
Its hard to say until release day. Most likely you can get an AMD that is faster than the 10600k for the same price. We need the reviews (out in the next 2 weeks??), but if you are a hardcore gamer and want to play at 4k eventually, the 5000 series Ryzen is most like what you need. As for the memory, again, we need reviews, but most likely 3600 cl16 or better is the way to go.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The thing is, even NVidia GPUs have PCI-E 4.0 now (with Ampere line-up). And only AMD offers a consumer platform with PCI-E 4.0 support. So if you want to play @ 4K60, then you're going to want something with PCI-E 4.0, IMHO, alongside an Ampere (or Big Navi) card. Intel won't have PCI-E 4.0 on a consumer platform until Rocket Lake, which likely won't be until 2021. Plus, I heard in a HardwareUnboxed video, or maybe it was GamersNexus, that many of those so-called "PCI-E 4.0 Ready" Z490 boards on the market right now, may not, in fact, turn out to be fully PCI-E 4.0 "ready" (*) for Rocket Lake, and that a new generation ("Z590?") chipset will be announced corresponding with Rocket Lake release, which will be fully "PCI-E 4.0 Certified" on Intel platform. But again, you'll have to wait until some time in 2021, most likely, for that to happen.

(*) Remember many years ago, when many consumer PCs were sold with Windows 98se/ME/2000, as "Vista Ready". And yet, they weren't. Yeah, that.

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Hi OP...... Look at your needs, then your wallet and then compare the longevity of each decision. Or...you could just blindly follow the advice given.

The difference between the Intel and AMD CPU/MOBO (framewise) is small at the middle-high to high-end bracket. If you ONLY care about games, and your budget is large, just look at what games that you play and see which CPU/chipset is more stable (yep! STABLE) with your game and go with it. No amount of framerate in the world can make up for bugs, glitches and frustration of losing a thirty minute match because you bugged out. Same story with video cards.

Also, don't hobble any option with slow RAM. Go for the fastest (Data-rate/Frequency) and largest capacity that your board and budget can handle. I get 3-5 FPS higher absolute minimum with faster RAM, and about 2 -3 avg. FPS with 32GB RAM compared to 16 GB setup. That's the almost as good as the difference you may/may-not get with CPU choices. Unless you're running a blazing GPU, CPU speed above mid-range isn't all that different between AMD/Intel anyways.

Just my .02 cents worth......

Mal

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That will be quite a while. He looks like he is open to Ryzen now, asking about it.

It'll be . . . yeah, whenever Intel gets around to launching these things. March latest, I would assume. For Intel's sake, let's hope Rocket Lake isn't as late as Comet Lake-S. That would be embarrassing. Regardless, I can't recommend an Intel platform to anyone right now unless they're going to buy Z490 today to upgrade to Rocket Lake later. So if you're going to go Intel, at least see what Rocket Lake-S brings to the table.

If he wants AMD then so be it, but I'm not going to try to nudge him in that direction per se. AMD can make their case on their own (which is something they're doing quite well lately).

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
DrMrLordX is spot on with the Intel assessment.

Intel is currently not that motivated to do much. They locked down the gaming market (raw performance-wise), and are doing very well in the business arena (roughly 70 percent market share). Intel's laziness seems to be a good position for AMD, and AMD are now gaining market shares compared to Intel. We (consumers) all win when the gap narrows, so I'm looking forward to see what happens!!

Mal

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
DrMrLordX is spot on with the Intel assessment.

Intel is currently not that motivated to do much. They locked down the gaming market (raw performance-wise), and are doing very well in the business arena (roughly 70 percent market share). Intel's laziness seems to be a good position for AMD, and AMD are now gaining market shares compared to Intel. We (consumers) all win when the gap narrows, so I'm looking forward to see what happens!!

Mal
They locked down the gaming market, but will most likely loose that in the next 2 weeks to Ryzen 5000 series.

kallisX

Sep 29, 2016
intel consumer revenue is "only" a quarter of their business and their profits have gone up in the past 3-4years i believe. they dont really care that much. not about being lazy.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Well, then you won't do as well at the heavy games that you want, good luck with that.

May I ask what games qualify as "heavy" by you? I haven't owned AMD in a long time, but when I did it was without problems. This being true, and not being a fanboy of any kind, I can't bash AMD. What I can say is that I've been VERY satisfied with my current rig: 9900k, 2080 super, 32G corsair vengeance and a Corsair ax1200i DSP PSU. For the past 8-months this rig has played everything I've tossed at it with room to spare for maxed out graphic settings and a muscular load of win10 overhead.

Conteporary games I own are Doom Eternal and Borderlands 3 which run superbly. Include a few simulators like Train sim 2021 and A10 Warthog. Not a hitch or slowdown to be seen. What I'm wondering is, are there games that can get me back into the upgrade mindset or learning how to overclock my current game-critical FRU's?

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
If you look at scaling benchmarks and you're only interested in gaming, you are really wasting your cash at 1440p and higher (at high settings) with anything more than a Ryzen 3600. The 5600x at 1440p in the best case scenario only beats the 3600 by 3%. At 4K the CPU is almost irrelevant in most games. Here's an older scaling benchmark as new ones aren't out yet, but it paints the picture:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1968-ryzen-3600-vs-2600-gaming-scaling/

Building new I'd go for the 5600X if you can get it. I'd still wait for the 5600 if that is going to be a thing however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97
Status
Not open for further replies.