New "gaming" laptop 600$? Need more than IGP

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Ive been browsing around for a laptop, something like the Asus UL line is nice because it combines battery life as well...but theyre kinda expensive (and the GPU is a little weak). Im wondering if I can find just a basic cheap laptop but with a dedicated GPU thats a tad better. I dont really know how to look up stuff like this, you cant really search for gaming laptops...those all cost thousands. I saw the review on the Acer laptop here, its nice with the i5 and modern GPU, but still a bit expensive at 750$. Something a little older and slower would still be fine, I purchased a C2D with a 9600m laptop for someone else about 2 years ago, its performance is still acceptable for the games and stuff Im looking at...does anyone know of any models that would have performance like that? I think the 46xx/51xx or gt 130/220 are the "modern" equivalent to the 9600m.

Battery life wouldnt be a big concern if I can get the price close to or under 600$, performance is the primary concern. I think Id only spend more if I could get something like the Asus UL line but updated with a better GPU (and possibly an i series CPU), as it is they arent quite good enough and nobody else seems to have Optimus.

Since I cant quite get what Im loooking for in the higher budget range Im thinking maybe I can find something in the lower budget range that still has the performance Id like (while making some compromises, like battery life). I have seen some refurbs with good GPUs and such, but I wont risk it in a laptop. I want something that has a good reliable warrenty (I dont trust 3rd party waranties...). If you can get a cheap 2GHz dual core 3+GB RAM ect for 400$ (or less) and a nicer i5 and 5xxx GPU for 750$ Im hoping you guys know which laptops fit in the middle.

So yeah, any suggestions/model numbers? Or is there a good site that actually has a large sortable list of all the laptops? I tried looking at newegg and while their search function is nice, they just dont have the selection.

bunit

Apr 25, 2010
folks over at notebookreview.com forums will be able to help you.
Unfortunately I can't think of much that comes to mind around $600.
I feel like the UL line is a great option with the thinness+batterylife+decent graphics card.
You're probably not gonna get better than a GT310m or whatever in a $600 package, but yeah.
xoticpc.com and gentechpc are both good options in terms of resellers, but just browsing the site I'm not sure you'll be able to find a non-refurbished laptop that has a better GPU than the UL line and is also $200 cheaper. In laptops, ASUS = VALUE for sure.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-u30jca1-back-order-p-2763.html
thats an updated UL with a 310m and an i3, but its thicker I believe.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/alienware-m11x?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
alienware m11x. alienware is generally a ripoff in terms of cost (though I'm sure some people will praise their cooling/construction to no end) but the m11x isn't priced too bad. upgrades will cost ya though. Unfortunately, starts at $800 as well.
It does however, pack a GT 335m. And it actually looks decent with edge to edge glass and its not overly garish like most/all alienware products. Still a lot of lights though but its not overly overdone, backlit keyboards are quite nice. C2D (necessary) upgrade will cost you $100 though. 4gigs memory another $50. And if you want a 7200 rpm hdd another $50. Laptops are really overpriced...

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Well like I was saying Im willing to give up the small, thin, light, and battery life for a price drop and at least one bump up in GPU. Seems like a huge price gap, 3-400$ and then 750$+. I cant seem to find anything worthwhile in the 4-700$ range, just terribly overpriced 400$ laptops.