New Exhaust System on the 'stang today

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
With the added bonus, you get to hear my voice narrating too :D
Text

They are essentially Borla's but branded as Ford Racing - which is good because they cost a lot less than Borla.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Borla's are nice. I was going to get a Borla exhaust for my car but ended up going with Jackson Racing instead.

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: deadlyapp
300 horsies right? Any other modifications done?

Got a strut tower brace to install and a Cold Air Intake on back order. Hopefully the next thing will be a computer flash re-tune to unleash another 20+ horsies :D

The difference is very minimal. Disappointing.
Usually thoes borla exhausts make a huge difference.
Mabey need to hear it live or something.

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: SampSon
The difference is very minimal. Disappointing.
Usually thoes borla exhausts make a huge difference.

I'm not dissappointed. As long as they sound better than stock, then I'm happy. Plus they are less restricting than stock, since the FRPP/Borla's are nearly straight pipe and look way better than the cheap sawed off looking pipes that came standard. I think my video didn't do it justice - I probably didn't have the camera near enough and I kind of babied the throttle...only took it to 4000 RPMs. Next time I'll take out of the garage and bounce that sucka off the rev-limiter :D

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: MasterAndCommander
Originally posted by: Fmr12B
Shoulda bought a GTO

I like Borla!

No thanks, I didn't want everyone thinking I was driving a Cavalier.
That Cavalier would hand your ass to you, but anyway

Sounds better, but not great IMO. Was it a full cat back or just the mufflers? That might explain it; doing mufflers only is kinda pointless to me, but to each his own ;)

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
Shoulda bought a GTO

I like Borla!

Sounds better, but not great IMO. Was it a full cat back or just the mufflers? That might explain it; doing mufflers only is kinda pointless to me, but to each his own ;)

I'd love to race one of those GTO's/Cavaliers, but I never see one because no ones buying them around here. It was just mufflers...the factory pipes are 2.5" mandrel-bent, stainless steel - it wouldn't do much better to change them, Muscular Mustangs and Fast Fords did a test and got very little HP gain...seems like the factory did a good job already. I changed them mainly cause the tail pipes looked so cheap and too small for the bumper openings..plus Horsepower TV added some Flowmasters to an '05 and got about 6HP...these are even more free flowing than that, so I'm sure I got a few more horsies.

Theguynextdoor

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2004
Shoulda bought a GTO

I like Borla!

I'd love to race one of those GTO's/Cavaliers, but I never see one because no ones buying them around here. It was just mufflers...the factory pipes are 2.5" mandrel-bent, stainless steel - it wouldn't do much better to change them, Muscular Mustangs and Fast Fords did a test and got very little HP gain...seems like the factory did a good job already. I changed them mainly cause the tail pipes looked so cheap and too small for the bumper openings..plus Horsepower TV added some Flowmasters to an '05 and got about 6HP...these are even more free flowing than that, so I'm sure I got a few more horsies.

What kind of setup did Fast Ford use for the piping? Also, headers is where is at. Any other stuff you plan on doing to it? BTW I noticed your garage was a tight fit. Where are you located?

Yeah the 05 GTO's are pretty badass. However their weight is what kills them really. I love the newer more aggressive design of the 05's. BTW with a few more decent mods (a new cam, intake, valvetrain) will put you pretty close to the an 04 GTO. But except the intake most will void your warranty.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Theguynextdoor
Yeah the 05 GTO's are pretty badass. However their weight is what kills them really. I love the newer more aggressive design of the 05's. BTW with a few more decent mods (a new cam, intake, valvetrain) will put you pretty close to the an 04 GTO. But except the intake most will void your warranty.
I've never been a huge fan of the styling, but I don't think its horrible. The weight is pretty high, but with 400HP and a lot more on tap with mods I wouldn't complain :D But then again I'd pick a Camaro over a 'stang too. I drove a stock 02 (?) GT and then a 00(?) Z28 right after it. Wowsers. However I do recognize that Mustangs are better balanced than Camaro's, its just too bad the stock suspension (at least pre-05) sucked :p

Theguynextdoor

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2004
I've never been a huge fan of the styling, but I don't think its horrible. The weight is pretty high, but with 400HP and a lot more on tap with mods I wouldn't complain :D But then again I'd pick a Camaro over a 'stang too. I drove a stock 02 (?) GT and then a 00(?) Z28 right after it. Wowsers. However I do recognize that Mustangs are better balanced than Camaro's, its just too bad the stock suspension (at least pre-05) sucked :p

I have yet to drive a 05 GT, but the 03-04 Cobra suspensions are the best Mustang suspensions that I've tested to date. However, the Cobra R is supposed to be the best ever.

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004

What kind of setup did Fast Ford use for the piping? Also, headers is where is at. Any other stuff you plan on doing to it? BTW I noticed your garage was a tight fit. Where are you located?

Bassani and Magnaflow x-pipes, both with high flow cats. Also tested the Mac Prochamber. Dynoed all compared to a stock midpipe. All were using the Bassani axleback.
Gains compared to stock were only 1-2 rwhp and 2-3 rwtorque!!

I think my money is better spend for an computer flash octane tune and some 4.10's...then maybe the supercharger down the road...but I'll have to upgrade the suspension and of course some 18x10 shoes too...

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: atiyeh
Shoulda bought a GTO

I like Borla!

Ya a RWD cavalier with 400 hp....:roll:

yeah and a SRT Neon is still a Neon...what's your point? At work, a new black GTO and a yellow Honda S2000 parked next to me...guess which car was drawing crowds around it? I'll give you a hint...it wasn't a the black or yellow one.

In all fairness, I do like the new GTO/Monaro.