New Duke Nukem Forever Footage Released

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

I believe St. John is back as Duke.

That said, I'll still only believe this thing exists when I can purchase a copy at retail/digital delivery.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Mmm... hopefully it will span 12 DVD's and keep FPS gamers occupied in single player mode for 3 months straight without stopping to pee. After all, they've had enough time to render an entire planet in maps right?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Looks good. I hope it has external areas and not just internal run and gun. Loved Duke Nukem' 3D for that. Fly around outside and inside.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
i'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, but i'm all out of gum!

the older trailer they had for years looked pretty fun. i'll probably obtain this game when it comes out.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
That video player is retarded, I can't get it to work. Does anyone have a link to a non-shitty version of the video?

FerraraZ

Feb 10, 2008
The game doesn't impress me that much. I mean 12 years and we get a game that doesn't break any boundries. I'm sure I'd get flamed by fanboys but this Duke is no different and that engine is going to show its age.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: FerraraZ
The game doesn't impress me that much. I mean 12 years and we get a game that doesn't break any boundries. I'm sure I'd get flamed by fanboys but this Duke is no different and that engine is going to show its age.

Its all about gameplay. If it has decent gameplay, it doesnt need cutting edge graphics. Crysis needs cutting edge graphics because of subpar and been there done that gameplay/storyline.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

Okay Shania.

You saw 30 seconds of footage. The engine seemed solid, and pretty damn detailed too. Remember Duke's genre... cartoony GI Joe type of atmosphere. I think it does pretty damn good for what we saw. It's claim to fame though - and the footage sort of appeared to allude to it... Duke Nukem is all about 100% non-stop insane action. THAT is what remains to be seen. If there's huge maps where you have to run for 5 minutes navigating doors and puzzles, well then it'll suck and that's not Duke. If you get thrown into the game surrounded by 400 aliens and nothing but a squirt gun to defend yourself while tightrope walking across a flaming rope spanning a pit of lava swimming with lava-proof sharks with freaking lazers on their heads... then THAT is Duke, and it will rock no matter how old the engine is.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: SunnyD

Okay Shania.

You saw 30 seconds of footage. The engine seemed solid, and pretty damn detailed too. Remember Duke's genre... cartoony GI Joe type of atmosphere. I think it does pretty damn good for what we saw. It's claim to fame though - and the footage sort of appeared to allude to it... Duke Nukem is all about 100% non-stop insane action. THAT is what remains to be seen. If there's huge maps where you have to run for 5 minutes navigating doors and puzzles, well then it'll suck and that's not Duke. If you get thrown into the game surrounded by 400 aliens and nothing but a squirt gun to defend yourself while tightrope walking across a flaming rope spanning a pit of lava swimming with lava-proof sharks with freaking lazers on their heads... then THAT is Duke, and it will rock no matter how old the engine is.

Serious Sam 2 was that, and it was great. Man that game is so under appreciated...

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Not much of a footage with what, 20 seconds of gameplay, but at least it shows minimizer and three-barreled machine gun.

Looks like Duke may finally be coming out. However, the video really bugged me. Original Duke was fun, fast paced game in a mostly urban setting, none of that hide behind the corner or turn up your brightness all the way up just to see past your nose stuff. Which is why the video was so disappointing, it looks like a Doom3 engine (not surprising given Prey also uses it) and it only showed closed space gameplay in a dark environment, just like Doom 3. I fear it may become a huge disappointment for this sole reason after waiting all these years.