New Domain Controller - Server Install

SpurtSpanker

Feb 19, 2006
First things first, I do this for a living but the way I do it is different than the way I would like to do it now.. here it goes..

Got a small office network that consists of the following..

1 PDC - Nothing fancy. Just hosts all the files and databases. Does not run exchange or anything like that. DHCP is not used.

4 Workstations - All log on to the domain and all have mappings/connections back to the server.

Here are my questions..

I am installing a new server. I usually install servers as a secondary DC so the they can "cook" and transfer/clone all the data and blah blah for windows (accounts, ad etc etc). However, the server was hacked a year ago and it took me a week to clean it up. I don't want to transfer over garbage and want to start clean. What I want to do is this..

1 - Setup new server. Different ip, different name.
2 - Transfer all files and data from old server to new.
3 - Share out all folder shares exactly as they were on the old server.
4 - DCPROMO it to be the PDC.
5 - Setup WINS/DNS
6 - Make sure all is working.

Here is the tricky part and my main concearn!

The workstations will need to be added to the domain. This will in turn create new security credentials for the machine account. ***If I remove a workstation from the old server (same domain as the new server) and add it back into the domain (new server same domain), will the user profiles on the workstations still be the same? I have a feeling they will not. Maybe I am wrong? Will there be any issues for this? Anything I need to know to make it go smoother?

Thanks all!

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
I'm assuming this is an NT 4 domain.

That said this sounds like an ideal time to migrate to Server 2003 and Active directory; if you do not have experience doing this (which sounds like may be the case) than I suggest hiring a professional to come in and take over with the migration.
will the user profiles on the workstations still be the same? I have a feeling they will not.
If you go and create a new domain than you're right; it means new (user) accounts, the SIDs wont match up. Easiest way to deal with this problem in this small of a deployment would probably be to just use the file and settings tranfer wizard so that the users' settings come along; you can also look in to the user state migration tool (USMT) if you're interested in migrating their settings en mass.

Good luck

EDIT: And I've got to ask, is this your network or something you're working on for a client?

Rapidskies

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
For the workstations:
With 4 workstations just make sure you have an account with LOCAL admin rights. Go into profiles and copy olddomain.local profile to a placeholder profile on each workstation before you unjoin the olddomain. Once you have your profiles backed unjoin the olddomain to workgroup then join the newdomain. Login once to the new domain with the user then copy the placeholder profile to the user.newdomain profile.

For the server:
Just configure a new server and copy data over from old server to new server, install apps etc. Turn off old server then do DCPromo to create your new domain (can be named same as old domain)

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
Realized that you have to be talking about 2000/2003 because you wouldnt do an NT 4 domain with dcpromo. This means you're making your life much harder than it needs to be.

No offense but I hope you dont "do this for a living" you dont even have your terminology right.

Your process should be:
1. Build new server
2. Promote to be a new domain controller in the existing domain
3. Transfer FSMO roles to the new server
4. Demote old server
5. Remove old server from the network

You dont need to make any changes on the clients.

SpurtSpanker

Feb 19, 2006
Originally posted by: spyordie007
Realized that you have to be talking about 2000/2003 because you wouldnt do an NT 4 domain with dcpromo. This means you're making your life much harder than it needs to be.

No offense but I hope you dont "do this for a living" you dont even have your terminology right.

Your process should be:
1. Build new server
2. Promote to be a new domain controller in the existing domain
3. Transfer FSMO roles to the new server
4. Demote old server
5. Remove old server from the network

You dont need to make any changes on the clients.

I do this for a living, yes. Not many, but I do it. My terminology was not right because .. well - I am tired.

I know what the process "should" be. I've done it before :) It's simple. However, like I said earlier, the older 2K DC was hacked a couple of years ago. It was fixed, however some items still exist and god only knows what things could be transfered over to the new system. That was my main thing about going the longer route.

No offense to you.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
No offense meant or taken. I just cringe when I hear admins using incorrect terminology.

Here on AT if you use incorrect terminology you're going to get called on it, we all do.

Anyway if the old domain was comprimised and you're looking to create a new domain see my above post about using either the USMT or File and Settings transfer wizard so you can bring user data over to their "new" profiles.

Regards,
Erik