New DoF and Motion Blur Technology

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pw38

Apr 21, 2010
It's just a neat little graphical effect. I don't see what the problem is. Most games give you the option to turn blur and DoF off anyway so what's the big deal? Why limit my choices because you don't like it?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I want my own eye generating that effect. I don't want some damned stupid checkbox in settings making my shit look ugly, muddy, and blurry.

Thats what I think about AA in games. To me i don't see "jaggies" because my brain makes it look perfect.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The problem isn't the technologies like motion blur, it is the implementation. My main pet peeve is bloom effects. It has to be one of the most over used effects ever invented and I wish I could travel back in time and slap the head of the person that decided to implement it in gaming.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
The problem isn't the technologies like motion blur, it is the implementation. My main pet peeve is bloom effects. It has to be one of the most over used effects ever invented and I wish I could travel back in time and slap the head of the person that decided to implement it in gaming.
This
i want second slap:p

Last edited:

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
can i buy your brain:p?
Was gonna post the same thing...LOL

We had the same issue with lens flare being overdone/overused just a few yrs back, but it has finally calmed down, so here is to hoping bloom and motion blur does also.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

Sometimes it is used well. Like in the BF3 videos people bitching about everything being so bright. Ever been to the Middle East, or shit even outside on a sunny day? Bright as fuck.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Maybe. I'm not saying it can't be done; just that it hasn't yet been done, when it will be done can't be predicted, and no one knows exactly what the hardware requirements will be (cameras are cheap, but surely a specific configuration will be ideal), so it will follow the black line.

I'd say its a pretty safe bet it will be done within the next twenty years and quite possibly within the next ten. This isn't rocket science, a cure for aids, or cold fusion we're talking about. Occasionally the smaller advances take longer then expected, but that's the exception to the rule.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Bullshit. I see both effects in the real world.

Whatever. I'm not going to argue semantics with you people.

You miss the main point. Monitors, much less computers, simply can't reproduce the real world. You would need a monitor with an outrageous resolution running at least 300 fps. Even if it could be done, it wouldn't be cost effective for at least another 50 years. Video games are cartoons for a reason.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
can i buy your brain:p?

Most people see the same as me. Like most things you don't really notice if it you don't use it. Did you really say to yourself "Man this game Doom is crap looking!" when playing it for the first time?

Most people dreamed in black and white before color TV became prevalent.

Last edited:

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Most people see the same as me. Like most things you don't really notice if it you don't use it. Did you really say to yourself "Man this game Doom is crap looking!" when playing it for the first time?

No they dont,they see jagged lines.As i said how much you selling your brain for?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
You miss the main point. Monitors, much less computers, simply can't reproduce the real world. You would need a monitor with an outrageous resolution running at least 300 fps. Even if it could be done, it wouldn't be cost effective for at least another 50 years. Video games are cartoons for a reason.

No, you missed the point. I want whatever's on my screen to move normally and any motion blur to be caused by my own eye's lack of tracking ability (or no motion blur if I'm good enough to spot it in time and track :p). It happens in games, don't even deny it.

DoF is just stupid any way you cut it.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net

Why in God's name would most people have dreamed in black and white before color TV's arrived? When black and white was the TV standard not that many households had TV's, and anyway, you know, the world has always been in color.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Why in God's name would most people have dreamed in black and white before color TV's arrived? When black and white was the TV standard not that many households had TV's, and anyway, you know, the world has always been in color.
hahahah,aye. he sig worthy
but he not serious i think,damn im slow today:S

Last edited:

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
No, you missed the point. I want whatever's on my screen to move normally and any motion blur to be caused by my own eye's lack of tracking ability (or no motion blur if I'm good enough to spot it in time and track :p). It happens in games, don't even deny it.

DoF is just stupid any way you cut it.

Then just turn them off if you don't like them. Next you'll be complaining you have too many choices.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
I'm convinced motionblur and most of these shitty post processing effects are the result of the lack of AA in games. There's no other reason why any developer (who, on the technical level should know crap like this is cinematic but not immersive) would add them into a game.

And holy shit, depth of field? Who's geniusly-retarded idea was that? Aim down the naked sights of a gun and all of a sudden it looks like you're looking through a narrow angle lens? Utter bullshit.

Cut back on level geometry or even texture fidelity if you have to and add AA to games! The only thing keeping most modern video games from looking absolutely pre-rendered is the barrage of jagged edges everywhere.