New Documents Reveal US Contingency Planning to Seize Middle East Oil in 1973

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Genesys
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
The war in Iraq wasn't about oil (well, unless you were from France, in which case it was, "Please don't help the Iraqi's get out from under Saddam, we're making a killing off their suffering!) and those who think it was are too simple minded and unethical to care that millions suffered and died under a brutal dictator for more than 20 years.

Sickening.

Jason

and now those Iraqi's want us to leave now so they can control their own future and not have it appointed or dictated by U.S. corp's or Bush and he's friends in the white house. We got Saddam and Bush's daddy has been avenge let's move on out and bring out troops home. Remember there are no WMD's so there is no reason to stay.
actually, my military buddies that are currently stationed in Iraq say the people there love them [especially the kids, because the troops share snickers candy bars with the kids]. quite a few of my friends that have already come back tell me stories about how the Iraqis thanked them profusely for their efforts and never expressed any anger, resesntment, or bitterness towords the soldiers or the administration.
The same bastards that were dancing in the streets after 9/11.

i dont seem to remember an iraqis dancing in the streets a fter 911. i do however remember palestineans, saudis, and iranians dancing in the streets after 911.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize
Nice little slip of an editorial comment by the unbiased news source

The episode shows how the security of oil supplies is always at the forefront of governments' planning.

anyone that was alive during 1973 and remember care to comment on how fvcked up we were at the time? Thankfully we've diversified some since then...

It is made clear that the invasion would probably only be contemplated if the situation in the region deteriorated to such an extent that the oil embargo went on for a long time, threatening western economies. This is called "the dark scenario."
If we went say a year or so without oil, even Jimmy Carter would have been calling for an invasion. Plenty of wars started over economics.

I hate to see statements like that. Tells me you have no core principles and see others that way.

gaga38

Apr 15, 2003
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
The war in Iraq wasn't about oil (well, unless you were from France, in which case it was, "Please don't help the Iraqi's get out from under Saddam, we're making a killing off their suffering!) and those who think it was are too simple minded and unethical to care that millions suffered and died under a brutal dictator for more than 20 years.

Sickening.

Jason

no of course and there are many countries whose leaders are dictators who have been slaugtering their own ppl
but the us choose irak first because of the wmd oups..... well no because there are none
i think it was a good thing to remove saddam but the reasons given by bush are all false
and this country as you seems to say will become a democratic country it will be a religious one (remember iran)
so i dont think the us will allow this to happen