Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
For a minuter there i thought it was a DC project all about me :p

I'll give it a read later, thanks Soggy

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Now, I really like tech savy DC projects, and I don't mind participating in new ides like Stardust@Home - with active user participation - as well. But that project looks like you'd almost have to study astrophysics to be able to help them reach their goals. Wow, I mean, yes, that's still a DC project, but I wonder how many people are able to do what they want. :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Spacehead
For a minuter there i thought it was a DC project all about me :p

I'll give it a read later, thanks Soggy

LMAO :D

Sounds interesting

What is Systemic?
greg posted in Uncategorized on January 2nd, 2006
The goal of the systemic research collaboration is to improve our statistical understanding of the galactic planetary census. This will be accomplished through a large-scale simulation in which the public is invited to participate.

At the core of the systemic simulation, we have generated a realistic catalog that contains 100,000 stars, and we have created planetary systems in orbit around some of these stars. As the collaboration unfolds, the systemic catalog of stars will be ?observed? using a realistic model of the radial velocity technique, and a radial velocity data set for each star will be made available. Participants will use the systemic console (written in Java by Aaron Wolf) to discover and characterize planets within the data sets. Advanced users can also use their own software if they choose.

The measured orbital properties and distributions of the planets that are uncovered in the systemic data sets will eventually be compared with the known properties of the planets that were placed into orbit around the systemic catalog stars.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BlackMountainCow
Now, I really like tech savy DC projects, and I don't mind participating in new ides like Stardust@Home - with active user participation - as well. But that project looks like you'd almost have to study astrophysics to be able to help them reach their goals. Wow, I mean, yes, that's still a DC project, but I wonder how many people are able to do what they want. :)
I did science fair projects with computer programs simulating orbits back in junior high and high school, so I might give it a try. I wonder how hard it would be to automate the trial process?