New Crysis video from E3 2007

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Doesn't look very impressive to me. Obviously the resolution of that video sucks so the real game will look considerably better, but still, certain things are not looking so hot. The water doesn't look that incredible to me, and the foliage does not look that great. As MadHatter said, the character doesn't seem to have much effect on the foliage. I'm hoping Crysis will look better than this when it comes out (which should be in two months).

I'm wondering when we'll see a beta or demo of Crysis. It's supposed to be out in September... it's possible it could be delayed, but I think EA is really pressing them to get the game out on schedule.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I hope it doesn't turn out like Oblivion where they got rid of a bunch of features in the retail game.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: thilan29
I hope it doesn't turn out like Oblivion where they got rid of a bunch of features in the retail game.

I have the feeling we'll see something at least similar happen.

You guys saw that recent video with the narrator explaining what some guy playing the game was doing (or rather what he had to do by gently telling him) ? You know that video with the chicken, the crabs in the water, the fish packs, then the little birds on the beach and at the end when the main character grabs one of those soldiers and throws him in the nearby water ?

Well, most, if not all of what happens in that video looked entirely scripted to me. Right at the beginning ... "what a coincidence ! the player zooms at the beach and you see one of the soldiers pissing on the deck at the water", and then when the guy moves around, the narrator tells him "move to your right, check the animals, I forgot their name but they're really cute", then the player acts like he's searching around, then the narrator says "to your right again", then oh ... coincidence, the birds are there. Then, the best part, what looked like to be reinforcements coming at the player's way, the narrator says "those soldiers investigate the area because they know something is going on" ... no, I don't think so, you guys made them appear via mere triggers and scripted events to make the sequence look like it was dynamic and that those soldiers really were investigating the area ...

It is exactly since Half-Life 2's E3 presentations and also Oblivion, that I have developed some sense to smell that kind of stuff from light years away. Until I see it before my eyes, until I look around within the official modding tools if any , then I won't believe that anything that has been shown so far in terms of game-play footage was entirely dynamic according to the situation and that it wasn't completely scripted for gimmick's sake and for hype build ups. Bethesda and Valve both know how to make things "look like they aren't scripted from A to Z", but when in fact you play a game that turns out to be like a movie, everything happens the same way each and every single time you play it, and that's exactly why most first-person-shooter around depend on multi-player to have a minimum amount of replayability value after a few weeks. I think that the Half-Life series is the best example we can get for a game "that's always the same after the first time through". Its production quality is quite remarkable, the technologies behind it were also impressive for its time (mostly the physics), no one can deny that, but I myself never found a reason to play it more than two times just to try and get all the information I could from the story (or rather the mystery, cause really no one understand what's REALLY going on in those games).

oscar6

Dec 23, 2004
Some negative things I noticed in the other videos that seemed to detract from the hype:
1. Shadow when swimming was upright even though the player was likely swimming horizontally.
2. The movements of the shadow when player was swimming did not match up with the players movements.
3. When sniping below the foilage, the fronds "jumped" like they had been shot through.
4. The walls of the building being knocked down with one physical strike per wall. Lame. Nuff said.
5. The dynamics and distance the barrels and enemies were tossed. Lame.
6. The "wavy/distorted" look of the underwater while the patient was underwater. Above water would be appropriate. Below the water... not so much.
7. Ultra fast running. Lame.

The above mentioned items really detracted from the hype. Other than that, it looked relatively fun.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: oscar6
4. The walls of the building being knocked down with one physical strike per wall. Lame. Nuff said.

The above mentioned items really detracted from the hype. Other than that, it looked relatively fun.

Those things are supposed to be due to the nansuit or whatever they're calling it. Although I agree with you and don't know why they did that.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: oscar6

Those things are supposed to be due to the nansuit or whatever they're calling it. Although I agree with you and don't know why they did that.

4 + 5 = strength mode

7 = speed mode

you realize that by enabling one mode or another, you gain certain advantages and sacrifice that for weaknesses in other areas, correct?

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
The high-res version of this looks quite a bit better.
but,

I will be livid if it turns out the way Oblivion and HL2 did.

Let's not bullshit either. When game companies pull this they are engaging in deceptive and false practices in order to dupe their customers.

There is no sugar-coating it.

It's sleazery, and the gaming press ought to start holding these companies accountable. I'm sure an individual company might claim "well we have to do it because other companies do" -

Well, this can only happen if the gaming press doesn't do its job.

sadffffff

Jan 6, 2006
definately less impressive looking now. the shadow the boat casts when he zooms on it lags. the plants, the graphics and performance in general looks dumbed way down. the game doesnt look very next gen at all.. though it still looks fun

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
AFAIK this is the jungle walkthrough trailer, it's been posted on here like 2 weeks ago, and just now they dibbed it the "E3 Trailer".

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
AFAIK this is the jungle walkthrough trailer, it's been posted on here like 2 weeks ago, and just now they dibbed it the "E3 Trailer".

Yes, I had already seen it, albeit not at HD.

To be sure: the game still looks great, but not as impressive as it did in those first videos or pictures we were shown 1 year or 14 months ago (those 'real life vs. Crysis shots). Perhaps Crytek was aiming too high and they have to lower our expectations now.

I think this is the way the game is going to look with current high end hardware, and what this video shows is a near-final build that reflects real-world performance.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
As long as the higher end graphical options that make it look as it did in other videos are still available I'm mostly happy. The dev team did say that some options won't be usable for a few years

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
MARKED!

Perhaps the version you guys are watching is running on mid-rage hardware? That would explain some of the less impressive yet still good looking qualities.

I have to watch this at home though, work PCs are inferior and have no sound.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Originally posted by: manowar821

Perhaps the version you guys are watching is running on mid-rage hardware? .

According to this interview, the E3 demos were running on a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM and a 8800 (probably GTX? He doesn't say). That's hardly midrange. I assume on Vista 64-bit since they were running 4GB of RAM. Supposedly the game was at 'very high settings', but not the highest.

They don't specify whether the game was running on DX9 or DX10.