New Cryengine 3 Crysis 3 tech trailer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Nice pretty rasterized graphics. Frog is great looking, but hopping motions are easy to do. They'll have to focus on something other than more pretty pictures like more complicated physics or whatever or just concede there is nowhere else to go but down.

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
Yeah :) OpenCL accelerated Physics for Crysis 3 engine :D

Fantastic news, definitely the direction things should be going IMO.

Judging by some of the posts here, some people din't see the Crysis 3 Official Single Player Interactive Demo actual gameplay demo, so it might as well be linked to here too.
Watch it in HD of course.

And b4 someone comments on the onscreen xbox 360 controls and think this is the xbox 360 version, my understanding is the gameplay in the video is from the pc version using an xbox 360 controller.

My only gripe is that speed is still useless like it was in Crysis 2, it's also why you can take bullets like a tank - a controller doesn't allow you to dodge fire. I miss the days of dodging bullets in Crysis, running enemies over and then picking them off. I just wish they would speed up the suit for the PC version, the "speed" mode in Crysis 2 was nothing but a glorified sprint.

Interesting to see that psycho has made a return though! Pity it isn't the same voice actor as before.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Looks good indeed. I can't wait to see the A.I. getting stuck on stairs and spinning on their own axis not knowing what to do though. With such great lightning and shadows at least we'll still be able to appreciate the models and the textures.

The day I see a new "A.I. tech demo" demonstrating actual improvement to A.I. for 3D games especially in FPS games with a single-player mode or with A.I. bots for multi-player then I'll be happy. But, yeah anyway, it does look good... reminds me I have yet to finish Crysis 2.

Has AI even improved at all since Half Life?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Blurry textures, insane HDR, low fps, and probably requires $1500 of gpu just to get playable frame rates.

I am disappoint.

Those textures look like shit.
wtf are you guys talking about when it comes to blurry textures in that video? are you watching it full screen at 480 res or something? if anything they look darn good but please tell me at which points you think they look bad. and while you are at, please show me a game with better textures as even the textures in the first Crysis looks like complete ass compared to what I am seeing in this video.

Black Mesa

Banned
Aug 11, 2012
wtf are you guys talking about when it comes to blurry textures in that video? are you watching it full screen at 480 res or something? if anything they look darn good but please tell me at which points you think they look bad. and while you are at, please show me a game with better textures as even the textures in the first Crysis looks like complete ass compared to what I am seeing in this video.
You Tube defiantly fails to do justice as always.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010

Hahahaha Im right there with you, was thinking the same thing when I read the replies about textures ect.

This game looks amasing, and from what I saw in that video more impressive than crysis1 or 2.
My guess? butthurt crysis2 or nuthuggers crysis1 fans.

It looks like they played alot with lights, like Battlefield 3 did.
I like that, more games need to play more with light/shadows because it ends up looking sick.

It's pretty sad that graphics can sell a mediocre game now in days.

I kinda agree, but with a first person shooter.... meh most people probably arnt looking for fantastic storylines ect anyways.
Gone are the days of Halflife 1....

Also graphics selling is just for shooters, cuz one is so much like another, that its usually what makes them stand out against one another. Same formula doesnt work for MMO-RPGs or RPGs, RTS, even platform games ect.

Last edited:

Black Mesa

Banned
Aug 11, 2012
Hahahaha Im right there with you, was thinking the same thing when I read the replies about textures ect.

This game looks amasing, and from what I saw in that video more impressive than crysis1 or 2.
My guess? butthurt crysis2 or nuthuggers crysis1 fans.

It looks like they played alot with lights, like Battlefield 3 did.
I like that, more games need to play more with light/shadows because it ends up looking sick.

I kinda agree, but with a first person shooter.... meh most people probably arnt looking for fantastic storylines ect anyways.

Also graphics selling is just for shooters, cuz one is so much like another, that its usually what makes them stand out against one another. Same formula doesnt work for MMO-RPGs or RPGs, RTS, even platform games ect.
Well in response I must say that IMHO you are not really correct in fact Max Payne 3 is all about story line and it is a highly graphical shooter game at it's core and there are many people that enjoy a great story line MP3 proves that. Also all you here people talk about is how great the graphics are in the RPG Skyrim etc. It's a sad fact that graphics sell games now in day's not the game play which should be top notch before even thinking of putting polish onto the way the game looks.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am skeptical. Crysis 2 also looked amazing from the videos etc before launch. Then it launched and it looked like garbage and still does. I am expecting no AA, blurry textures etc. Its crysis 2 with some tweaks. Consolization destroyed crysis, period. Its gone.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
gfSje.gif

My only worry about the game is this 'vegetation tessellation' Lots of vegetation and excessive tessellation may = frame rate crawl.

And the vegetation is dynamic also (helicopter blowing them around).

I bet that super secret toad tech is pixel accurate displacement that they showed earlier on the tree roots... having that on moving models with animations would be incredible. Probably too incredible now that I think about it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I am skeptical. Crysis 2 also looked amazing from the videos etc before launch. Then it launched and it looked like garbage and still does. I am expecting no AA, blurry textures etc. Its crysis 2 with some tweaks. Consolization destroyed crysis, period. Its gone.

Crysis 2 with MaldoHD looks better than Crysis in every conceivable way, IMO - - especially the interior lighting. Yeah, Maldo is a mod, but at least Crytek does give gamers the option of some extremely powerful modding tools.

That said, I prefer the shooting and movement mechanics, as well as the combat approach in the original.....by FAR. I agree with you there....consolization of the movement interface completely sucked the life out of it.

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

I'm looking for a fantastic story in an FPS....and always have been. I think you have to differentiate here between FPS that focus on the single-player experience compared to the MP games, which have crappy stories, and who cares if they do. SP focused FPS games have no excuse for not having superb stories and characters.

Games like Metro 2033, STALKER, F.E.A.R, all have very interesting stories and characters that drive the purpose and enhance the experience of the game.

There's absolutely no reason why FPS shouldn't have the BEST stories, the BEST voice acting, and great character development. If a developer would really step up to the plate and offer a game with those attributes, I would buy the hell out of it for whatever price they wanted.