Question New Computer on Home Network

Art_P

Sep 15, 2019
After adding a new Windows 10 computer to my home network and completing all settings to make it discoverable and shared, it does not list other Windows 10 computers for file sharing and is not allowed access to files on a listed Windows 7 computer. All computers are listed for media sharing and it is not a problem. All the other computers on the network have full access to the new computer's files as well as each other. The new computer also cannot access a USB drive plugged into the router and all the other computers can. Can anyone help me integrate this computer into the network?

Also, why does each computer on the same network show as connected to different network names? Network 2, Network 5, etc.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Did it take an ip address? Can you ping the router (gateway) from this computer? Make sure the tcp/ip setting is correct for it. Enable file sharing also.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
If machine A cannot access content of machine B, then I would look at the config of machine B.
why does each computer on the same network show as connected to different network names? Network 2, Network 5, etc.
Name of connection is something that Windows auto-generates. Unrelated to the network.
It is just a "human-readable" name that has no connection to names in other machines.
Perhaps you can edit the name to be meaningful to you?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I've noticed similar behavior. On my gaming PC other computers on the network do not always show up in the network section of file explorer. But I can type in the address bar the name of the computer (\\computer name) and the shared folder will then appear.

Reactions: Art_P

Art_P

Sep 15, 2019
Did it take an ip address? Can you ping the router (gateway) from this computer? Make sure the tcp/ip setting is correct for it. Enable file sharing also.
Thanks for the reply. The new computer has an IP address that matches in the computer's network properties and on the router's list of connections. No problems with ping to router and other computers, 4 sent, 4 received, 0 lost. I can't find "tcp/ip setting" but IPv4 address is correct. All settings on the Windows 10 computers are identical. Files are completely shared on all of the computers and the router USB and easily accessed except from the new computer.

Art_P

Sep 15, 2019
I've noticed similar behavior. On my gaming PC other computers on the network do not always show up in the network section of file explorer. But I can type in the address bar the name of the computer (\\computer name) and the shared folder will then appear.
Thanks for that. My problem computer is also used for online gaming. Typing in the name of the computer on the address bar works for me to access the other Windows 10 computer, but not the router USB. The Windows 7 computer is already visible but has a permissions problem (associated with homegroup?). Again, I can't associate the problem with accessing the Windows 7 computer files with settings on it since the other Windows 10 computer accesses it fine.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Thanks for that. My problem computer is also used for online gaming. Typing in the name of the computer on the address bar works for me to access the other Windows 10 computer, but not the router USB. The Windows 7 computer is already visible but has a permissions problem (associated with homegroup?). Again, I can't associate the problem with accessing the Windows 7 computer files with settings on it since the other Windows 10 computer accesses it fine.
You're using the credentials for the windows 7 computer, correct?

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks. If machine A cannot access machines B and C but machines B and C can access machines A, B and C, shouldn't the problem be with machine A?
Well, maybe. Client != server. Server shares content. Client accesses content.

Client A fails to to access server B. One or both have an issue. At the same time client B might access server A just fine.

If you have an existing server, it might be set to share to to only some clients, rather than everyone*.
Windows 7 and 10 servers and clients are not identical either.

*Pure speculation. I don't do Windows sharing.

Art_P

Sep 15, 2019
You're using the credentials for the windows 7 computer, correct?
No. I'm credentials challenged. I got instructions online to learn how to access through user accounts. The windows credentials on the new computer only lists the other Windows 10 computer with what appeared to be an incorrect user name (admin). I edited the user name and password (using a 4 digit pin for user sign-in), but it still does not appear in windows explorer. I also added the router's USB with the router user name and password. It also does not appear. I don't know what to do regarding the Windows 7 computer. It is listed on the other Windows 10 computer's credential manager with username\HomeGroupUser$, and I have no idea what the password would be since it is not used to log on to that computer.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
No. I'm credentials challenged. I got instructions online to learn how to access through user accounts. The windows credentials on the new computer only lists the other Windows 10 computer with what appeared to be an incorrect user name (admin). I edited the user name and password (using a 4 digit pin for user sign-in), but it still does not appear in windows explorer. I also added the router's USB with the router user name and password. It also does not appear. I don't know what to do regarding the Windows 7 computer. It is listed on the other Windows 10 computer's credential manager with username\HomeGroupUser$, and I have no idea what the password would be since it is not used to log on to that computer.
By credentials I was referring to Windows user accounts. You mentioned using the 4 digit PIN for the password. Does the computer have a password as well or just the pin? If it has a password use that instead of the pin. If no password is configured try leaving it blank. Do you get a pop up window for the username and password when trying to connect to the other computers in file explorer? Any errors?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999

Art_P

Sep 15, 2019
By credentials I was referring to Windows user accounts. You mentioned using the 4 digit PIN for the password. Does the computer have a password as well or just the pin? If it has a password use that instead of the pin. If no password is configured try leaving it blank. Do you get a pop up window for the username and password when trying to connect to the other computers in file explorer? Any errors?
Thanks for sticking with me on this. I see that credentials is all about user accounts. When installing Windows 10, you have the option to use a 4 digit pin instead of a password, and that is our sign-in method. I don't remember ever specifying a password except for my Microsoft account. The Windows 7 computer probably has a blank password as I don't have to sign-in. I don't get any pop-up window to enter a password, just a pop-up saying I need permission (attached). This does not appear when accessing from the other Windows 10 computer. I tried entering the same credentials in the new computer that are on the other Windows 10 computer for the Windows 7 computer with a blank password with no result.

Attachments

• NetworkError.JPG
    NetworkError.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 4

Art_P

Sep 15, 2019
Both of the Windows 10 computers seem to show both IP versions 4 and 6 enabled. All the advanced settings are identical but sharing in one direction is okay but not in the other direction.

Everything is set in accordance with the dummies instructions, except password protected sharing is turned off.

To recap the problem(s):

I have one new Windows 10 computer that (1) does not see another Windows 10 computer for file sharing but does see it as a media device and allows media sharing with media player , (2) sees a Windows 7 computer both as a computer and a media device but displays a network error message when trying to access files and allows media sharing with media player, (3) does not see USB storage on router as a computer but does see it as a media device.

Both the other Windows 10 and the Windows 7 computers have full access to files and media on each other, on the new computer and on the router USB storage.

The networking of these devices is totally ethernet, no Wi-Fi.

It's interesting that the problem computer is the only one used for online gaming, same as In2Photos comment, and the other Windows 10 computer files can be accessed by typing the computer name in the address bar of Windows Explorer. Does not work with the other devices however.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
It's interesting that the problem computer is the only one used for online gaming, same as In2Photos comment, and the other Windows 10 computer files can be accessed by typing the computer name in the address bar of Windows Explorer. Does not work with the other devices however.
Could be firewall config.

AFAIK, Windows broadcasts to subnet: "I am XX and I share YY". Anyone hearing the broadcast can then show that "neighbour".
A firewall can block incoming broadcasts, so you never learn about neighbours.
Or perhaps firewall allows those broadcast, but service that would listen to them is not running.
However, you can still access XX, if you know it's name. That is outgoing connection; different firewall rule, different process.

Similarly, file and media sharing are two different protocols, covered by separate firewall rules.