New computer BSODS/crashes

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
My custom built computer(in sig) crashes randomly, and I cannot pinpoint the problem because all windows log says is "loss of power unexpectedly"

I am going nuts trying to understand what this is, because there is no pattern to it. It is very random and happens once in a great while, but often enough to be extremely annoying.

Yes, my system is overclocked (i5-6600k@4.1GHz) currently. But I ran a stress test overnight and it was fine. No crashes. Sometimes it works for weeks, without a hiccup and then boom... another crash.

After a crash the system will not boot to windows. It keeps automatically going to BIOS screen, and no amount of restarts will get windows to load. But the funny thing, is if I kill the power, and let it sit like this for a good 20min it will turn on and boot into windows just fine. Every time, this "symptom" is exactly the same.

Please, please don't tell me it's the PSU. That would require me to disassemble the whole thing. A nightmare...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Crucial SSD? It might need a firmware update. (5000 hours patch issue, maybe, if it's a slightly-older model Crucial SSD?)

Edit: I think that might have been the M4 model, which pre-dates the M500, which pre-dates the M550 and M600 (Micron-only), which makes it fairly ancient in computer time.

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I'll mention another off-the-top consideration and that is,
a short circuit between the board and case, which might explain why:
if I kill the power, and let it sit like this for a good 20min it will turn on and boot into windows just fine. Every time, this "symptom" is exactly the same.

My thought is that the electricity drains away eventually so the system can restart.But at some point the contact resumes and the short breaks up the power which terminates the OS.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'll mention another off-the-top consideration and that is,
a short circuit between the board and case, which might explain why:
if I kill the power, and let it sit like this for a good 20min it will turn on and boot into windows just fine. Every time, this "symptom" is exactly the same.

My thought is that the electricity drains away eventually so the system can restart.But at some point the contact resumes and the short breaks up the power which terminates the OS.

That's also a common symptom when a PSU is going bad. I have seen a ton of users over the years who had to unplug their PSU from the wall for a bit to allow the computer to work again. Many replaced the PSU at some point, and reported back that was the problem.

You can always pull the components out and breadbox them to rule out a short circuit. From my experience, when there is a short like you mentioned, the symptoms were much more repeatable.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
It looks like when my computer crashes, no dump file is created. Blue screen viewer comes up blank.

When I check windows logs for the event, all I get is this:

LRHMpUg.png

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
In that case, I would personally borrow or buy another PSU, and try that first. You don't even have to remove your old one. You can just disconnect its connectors and use the new one outside of the case (on a non-conductive surface just to be safe of course). It's likely to come down to your PSU or motherboard as the issue.

Have you tried turning off the Asus anti-surge feature in your BIOS? Sometimes it can be finicky with power (I'm assuming this board is the Asus ROG Z170 motherboard in your signature).

BTW, what model PSU do you have now (and its age)? What video card? If so, have you removed it and tried your PC without it to see if it the cause of your issues?

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
It's definitely not the video card, because I went through several cards in recent months and the problem existed all this time.

The PSU in question is an OCZ StealthXStream 700w. It is very very old. At least 6 years old, but possibly much more. I lost count.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's definitely not the video card, because I went through several cards in recent months and the problem existed all this time.

The PSU in question is an OCZ StealthXStream 700w. It is very very old. At least 6 years old, but possibly much more. I lost count.

Well that PSU was reviewed by JonnyGuru in 2006, so that would be where I started my troubleshooting at. Capacitors lose their full capability and swell with age and heat.

Also, upon digging further, that unit only came with a 3 year warranty, so you likely for your money's worth out of it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/OCZ/GameXStream700W/

Last edited:

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I also ran OCCT and it failed after 17 minutes. I guess my overclock is no longer stable for whatever reason. Guess I have to throttle back and see how it goes.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I also ran OCCT and it failed after 17 minutes. I guess my overclock is no longer stable for whatever reason. Guess I have to throttle back and see how it goes.

I agree. I even mentioned that in post #2. A PSU that is beginning to die will cause all sorts of issues because the power put out is not steady/stable.

Just pick up a Seasonic on sale at Newegg for around $35 after MIR, and you will most likely solve your issues.

Reactions: VirtualLarry