New computer beeps (somtimes!) at startup (randomly!)

fd9

Nov 26, 2007
I've tried looking up the beep codes in my motherboard manual, but it almost never matches up. This computer is practically brand new, with all new components:

- DS3L mobo
- 8800GT
- 450VX PSU
- 2GB ram

Now here's the thing - the beeps seem to be random! And it keeps beeping until I login into windows. Then it shuts up. When I restart, everything works fine (only 1 beep, ie, boots successfully). If I shut it down, wait a minute, and then boot it up it works fine (only 1 beep). However, it always beeps more than once when I turn it on in the morning (?). I've had this problem for the last couple of weeks and that's the pattern I've noticed - when the computer is off for a long period of time (many hours), it beeps more than once. After that, I can reboot it a dozen times and each time it boots successfully.

I know it sounds crazy and stupid, but that's the problem. My only question is why isn't it consistent? Why does it always boot successfully when I restart it, or do a cold boot after it's been turned off for a short time, but not when I turn it on in the morning? And why are the beeps always different, that don't match up with my motherboard manual??

Tenet

Nov 27, 2007
Hi fd9,

It doesn't sound crazy or stupid. And you're being a little hard on yourself with that poll, too but I guess that's your good sense of humor kicking in.

If the problem happens when the system is cold, and goes away when it warms up, it seems like something is making intermittent contact. The fact that the beeps are different each time lean toward a mobo problem. There's a chance it could be the psu.

But first, reseat all your connections to the mobo: memory, video card, power connections, everything.

If it still happens, try isolating your components - try each stick of RAM by itself, swap video card if possible, disconnect non-essential components.

If it still happens, get Gigabyte tech support on the line. If they can't help you, return the mobo. You won't have to reload windows if you exchange for the same model.