New Complex HTPC advice needed...multiple tv's

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
My dad wants me to build him a HTPC and rip all his blu-rays and dvd's to MKV format. That's easy to do. No issues there. However, He wants the PC located in a utility room and have it be capable of streaming his movie collection to any tv in his house, using his laptop or iPad to access the HTPC. Every tv in his house has Apple TV. I know XBMC can connect to Apple TV if you jail break the device. I've also considered using wireless HDMI devices instead of Apple Tv. There is Cat 5e cable to every TV and his whole house has wireless coverage as well.

Last question. Is XBMC capable out streaming different movies to different locations at the same time? Example, kids want to watch Shrek downstairs and adults want to watch Terminator upstairs at the same time.

Here's a quick pic of what I'm trying to do. Now, What's the best way to do it?

HTPC.jpg

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Heh....so....I already know you'll hate this idea, but 3 Roku 3's with Plex on a server = easy solution for what you want and very flexible.

We currently have it on 3 TV's, and also streams to every other device (including Nooks, phones, tablets).

Personally, I think these are much better than Apple TV's, granted I realize you already have them so you will want to lean that way. Also, Plex is much less fuss than setting up a dedicated XBMC server (while I understand it is great, it's just not for everyone). I do not know if Plex is available on Apple TV or not?

The only real cost is the Rokus which are $70-80 each, and of course the cost of whatever the set up is you're putting all your movies on.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
Nah, I don't hate it. He won't mind paying for it either. He's the kinda guy who likes the best of the best, and doesn't want to deal with issues.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Plex can be installed on ATVs, but ideally with Jailbreaking as well. You can select which device to stream files to, I just don't know if one device can tell the HTPC with Plex server (which would be doing the transcoding and streaming) which TV each stream will go to.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Oh, I think Plex is much easier to install on Rokus, though. I just got an email from them that seemed to imply you would need their premium account for new users to get it on Rokus. Just a heads up.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Plex can be installed on ATVs, but ideally with Jailbreaking as well. You can select which device to stream files to, I just don't know if one device can tell the HTPC with Plex server (which would be doing the transcoding and streaming) which TV each stream will go to.

It can. If you are trying to control it from something like a tablet/laptop it has a web interface that you can direct whatever you want to play to whichever device you want. I'm assuming this would be ideal if you want to control what your kids are watching (thus not giving them a controller).

As for the premium thing? Was that from Roku or Plex? I know that Plex has an upcoming premium version, however it's mostly fluff.

Last edited:

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
I'm a little confused now. I thought Roku was the device and Plex was the app??

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
I just installed Plex on my HTPC hoping to be able to stream recorded OTA TV shows to a Roku3... it doesn't work.

I think the problem is with the DVR-MS format that Vista Media Center creates, but my other working theory is the metadata or possibly even the closed captioning stream within the file. I can convert the file to MPG and back to DVR-MS and it will stream via Plex, but then the file is stripped of anything telling me what it is. Media Center will only display the name of the show with no episode name or even air date.

Edit: Talking this out has given me another idea. Convert to .wtv (the format for 7MC and above) and then back to .dvrms. That may correct whatever problem is in the original file that Plex doesn't like while preserving the metadata.

Last edited:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Plex server is installed on a computer and it streams videos to the Roku through a special "channel" on the Roku. You can also do this with Media Browser now. With how cheap and simple Roku's are now, this is the first thing I'd try to see if he likes it.

Rip some movies to MKV
Buy a Roku 3
Install plex and Media Browser servers on your server computer
Try Plex and Media Browser on the Roku and see which one you like better

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
here's what I got so far....
htpc2.jpg

I still can't find though if Plex is capable of streaming different media to multiple tv's at the same time. Been quickly reading through Plex forums. Here's a cut/paste from my original post.

Example, kids want to watch Shrek downstairs and adults want to watch Terminator upstairs at the same time.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
[QUO
I still can't find though if Plex is capable of streaming different media to multiple tv's at the same time. Been quickly reading through Plex forums. Here's a cut/paste from my original post.

Example, kids want to watch Shrek downstairs and adults want to watch Terminator upstairs at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Yes..however how well will depend on your PC, network and bitrate you are streaming at and if you are transcoding. If you are trying to stream 3 blu-ray quality MKV/MP4 at 1080p at the same time off a duo core with 1 or 2 disks, you probably will have problems with it keeping up if you don't have the disk and network throughput to deal with it, but you will have to keep that in mind no matter what solution you go with.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
Yes, you are correct. Just found an article with a guy streaming to 12 devices at once.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I guess I should also mention that they are getting ready to release Plex for Chromecast, but I've not used one so can't comment beyond that.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
I guess I should also mention that they are getting ready to release Plex for Chromecast, but I've not used one so can't comment beyond that.

I looked into it. It's available right now to premium subscribers but not the free users. Can't find if you can stream to multiple chromecast dongles though.

haikuginger

Dec 29, 2013
I'd go ahead and do an SQL backend server to hold the library, and then have an XBMC setup at each TV. As long as you've got the network bandwidth, you shouldn't have any trouble streaming multiple movies at a time. Especially if you want to stream full-quality BDs; the AppleTV just can't handle plain rips, and doesn't support VC-1, TrueHD, or any variety of DTS.

I'd still keep the AppleTVs there, though; they're fantastic for Netflix.

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
I only have limited experience trying to setup appleTV with plex for a friend, and although it would play the files it transcoded everything.

Now if the apple TV has the capability to "direct play" your media this will not be a problem and your only limitation will be your network speed, but if transcoding is going to be required you can quickly become CPU bound on the server with only a couple of TV's being fed multimedia.