New central heat and air system is freaking expensive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
If the person isn't running a Manual J to calculate your load then look elsewhere.

We have the correct answer, anything other than this is a guess. And before you even start thinking about unit size, think about tightening up your house. Stop as much air infiltration as possible, make sure it's properly insulated.

Everything affects the proper sizing of HVAC. Square footage is the starting point, you also look at insulation, windows, orientation, how tight the building is, and of course the climate zone. Then you calc the loads room by room.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why does he want to replace the duct work?

Every single house I've ever worked on with ducting that was over 15 years old leaked badly. They used to seal duct work with duct tape, which seems to make sense, but it has a 100% failure rate. It always fails, it always allows major leakage, that's why no one uses it anymore. Maximum allowed duct leakage around here is 4%, and we have to pressure test it.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I was going to seal my ducts but actually the leakage helps keep the basement a little warmer during the winter so I ain't even mad anymore :p

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
They are finally done. Cost quite a bit more than expected.
And took 5 days instead of 1. Asshats.