New Cars Increasingly Out of Reach for Many Americans

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
2-28-2013

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cars-increasingly-reach-many-americans-145957880.html

New Cars Increasingly Out of Reach for Many Americans

The typical new vehicle is now more expensive than ever, averaging $30,500 in 2012, according to TrueCar.com data, and heading up again as makers curb the incentives that helped make their products more affordable during the recession when they were desperate for sales.

Sep 7, 2009
Blame your dear leader for this one.

Increased government regulation and taxes, WTF is the point of buying a new car? He wants us all on the community buses anyway.

Hell, his constituents aren't buying new cars so tax everyone else.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Blame your dear leader for this one.

Increased government regulation and taxes, WTF is the point of buying a new car? He wants us all on the community buses anyway.

Hell, his constituents aren't buying new cars so tax everyone else.

Yes every single problem with the world is Obama's fault. :rolleyes:

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
There are plenty of excellent new cars available for $20k or less these days, it's not manufacturers problem that everyone thinks that their minimum wage job entitles them to a new luxury suv.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Total miles driven annually has been on the decline since 2007. Weighted against population growth and the change is even more dramatic. It stands to reason that people with money or decent credit can still afford to drive and buy new cars so the average price would rise since they can afford more expensive cars.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
There are plenty of excellent new cars available for $20k or less these days, it's not manufacturers problem that everyone thinks that their minimum wage job entitles them to a new luxury suv.

This.

You can buy awesome cars for 15k nowadays with great gas milage

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Just because people are spending 30k on cars does not mean that is what they cost. You can easily get a Nissan Versa for WELL under 15k. The average price is just what people are willing spending...which is always too much because they are financially unwise and spend past their means.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
the eco-KOOKS don't want you to drive or use energy. They want society to retrograde back to candle lit rooms and out houses. Elections have consequences.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005

Just because people are spending 30k on cars does not mean that is what they cost. You can easily get a Nissan Versa for WELL under 15k. The average price is just what people are willing spending...which is always too much because they are financially unwise and spend past their means.

This, the OP unfortunately says more about an issue in our culture than anything else.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i'd imagine driving the increase moreso than luxury cars is high end trucks. F150 crew cabs start at $31,000 and go up from there. if only a tenth of F150s sold have luxury features, that's still outselling practically every luxury car out there.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
This.

You can buy awesome cars for 15k nowadays with great gas milage
But I need the V6 to haul my 300 pound ass and my 300 pound wife and both of my 200 pound kids.

I would love to put that much weight in my Impreza and see how it handles. It's probably really fun and scary at the same time.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
A "typical" car today?
What does that mean and how are they comparing it to any other time period.

If I want a Minivan I can either pay 20K for minivan or I can pay 50K for Minivan.
the 20K Minivan has more features in it than a loaded 30K minivan did 10 years ago.

If I want a full size family sedan, I can pay low 20's or I can pay high 40's.
Once again, that "low" end car might have more features and even power than a loaded mid 30's model did 10 years ago.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
i'd imagine driving the increase moreso than luxury cars is high end trucks. F150 crew cabs start at $31,000 and go up from there. if only a tenth of F150s sold have luxury features, that's still outselling practically every luxury car out there.

This is very true. So many people I know will drive an unbelievably expensive truck, spending all kinds if money on gas and then have the gall to criticize a "yuppy" for driving around in their BMW that cost the same or less with significantly better fuel efficiency and more passenger room.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

I can go buy a Family sedan (Altima\Camry\Accord\Fusion) for low 20's
I can buy new Dodge minivan for a little over 19K
You can pick up a Sentra for under 15K

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Dave, just wait until gas hits $6 to $8 a gallon, right, right???

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
This is very true. So many people I know will drive an unbelievably expensive truck, spending all kinds if money on gas and then have the gall to criticize a "yuppy" for driving around in their BMW that cost the same or less with significantly better fuel efficiency and more passenger room.
Don't automatically hate on people who own a truck. It's possible they actually use that truck as a truck every once in a while. My retired mom drives an SUV, and it's used all the time because my brother and I both own cars. If we have stuff to move around, we borrow her SUV. It's also used to take her boat to the lake. It's also an awesome winter vehicle because she can park where nobody else can - in 2 feet of snow.

None of that applies to BMWs. From what I've seen, most BMW drivers have small penis syndrome. They didn't get it for the rear wheel drive or the tight handling; they drive 10 under the speed limit just like every other retard on the road, but they want to look flashy while doing it.