New car for about 30k, any ideas?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
S2000 for a pure sports car... you also get a nice convertible =D.
Acura TL or CL Type-S for a more refined semi sporty car.
S4, M3 if you care to spend more money. Refined as the Acura's, maybe more, with just as much sportiness as the S2000.
Impreza WRX or (STi) for a cheap but very fun car to throw around.

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
The new T-bird looks very sweet. "Under the hood is a 3.9-liter V8 with 32 valves, sequential electronic fuel injection and dual overhead cams."

I need to go test drive one............ :D

Still mad at myself for selling my 65' T-bird. Wasn't much for cornering. But you have to love that continuous g up to 110-120 where it started to float. And it would easily put you through the front windshield with 4 wheel disk brakes (almost did a friend of mine who was riding with my wife who was for the first time driving it.....:().

Feb 10, 2000
These suggestions are hilarious (no offense to the posters intended) because they are just all over the map! Many involve cars that cost MUCH more than $30K, or cars that have been out of production for years.

GagBag

Jul 1, 2001
Get a Mustang Bullit, $27,000, only like 1000 left out of 15,000(?) being made

oh the 2001 Eclipse GT Coupe is pretty cool, i think thats around $30,000

frizzlefry

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Subaru Impreza WRX. Less than $30K. fast as hell. AWD. Or get some other Subaru. Solid build and is a great car.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Sports cars:
Ford Mustang
Chevy Camaro
Honda Prelude
Acura Integra
Porsche Boxster
BMW M Series
Audi TT
Chrysler Prowler
Lexus SC430
Mazda Miata
Mercury Cougar
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Saab 9-3
Toyota Celica
Chevy corvette
Honda S2000

They vary from the high 10's to the high 50's
As to which is dependent on your dad's needs, and wants.

Almost forgot. http://www.edmunds.com/new/type/car.html

SinNisTeR

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
it depends when you wanna get the car...the car i recommend is the Subaru WRX STi. i dont care what ppl say..this IS the best car! 0-60 = 4.7 . this wont be available till next year. sweet sweet subaru....DROOL!!! if you want it now and you want it sporty...get the honda prelude..if you want it sportier..get the honda s2000. my 1 & 1/2 cents;)

frizzlefry

Golden Member
May 14, 2001

<< it depends when you wanna get the car...the car i recommend is the Subaru WRX STi. i dont care what ppl say..this IS the best car! 0-60 = 4.7 . this wont be available till next year. sweet sweet subaru....DROOL!!! if you want it now and you want it sporty...get the honda prelude..if you want it sportier..get the honda s2000. my 1 &amp; 1/2 cents;) >>

Oh yeah!!! Gonna wait for this one! :D This car rocks! And think about it. Boost the turbo and you'll be even quicker. muahahaha!!!

But the S2000 is such a girly car these days. I live in OC and see more chicks in it than men. I was all into it before when my cousin got one a couple years back. Drove and and fell in love. Then one year later mostly chicks drive it and I'm like ugh! Ruined it for me.

Or if you can wait. Get the Mistu Evo IIV This is gonna be some stiff competition for Subaru. But seems like you gotta pick one up right away. Anyways, let us know what you decide on.

-edit-

Just saw a post on the S4 being around $30K? Are you out of your f-in mind? Maybe closer to $40K. That's a big difference IMO

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000

<< But the S2000 is such a girly car these days. I live in OC and see more chicks in it than men. I was all into it before when my cousin got one a couple years back. Drove and and fell in love. Then one year later mostly chicks drive it and I'm like ugh! Ruined it for me. >>

Not for me! Chicks who drive sticks rule!

Linh

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
s2000
acura TL Type S, RSX
passat

nothing domestic comes to mind

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
For 30k I would either get a :

Bone Stock Saleen 281 hardtop $29,000

Mustang Cobra $28,000

Mustang GT slightly Used 95-00 and Modify the bag out of it $15-19,000 + Add Ons

Or I would wait a year and See if the Mach 1 concept car becomes reality (inbetween price of GT and Cobra and is really nice looking)

Personally I drive a 2000 SVT contour, 200hp V6 24v-pretty nice car for the 19 grand I got it for with extended warranty, but I have a feeling your looking for something a litle faster.

I have heard from many who have test driven the WRX that it is a sitting duck until the turbo spools up and that even when the boost kicks in it really doesnt seem all that fast. Also the interior is really supposed to be cheap, and with only a few options the price jumps drastically.

I personally am not a fan of any ricers with the exceptions of the Supra and NSX, but both are not something I would buy.

arcain

Oct 9, 1999
Audi TT 180hp FWD Coupe. You should be able to get that very very close to $30k. In Los Angeles it seems many dealers have lots of 180 coupes, but few 225 coupes (if all goes well, I should be driving one this weekend), so they should be willing to deal. If you live on the East Coast it is even better, as they've been dealing on the TTs for much longer.

There are many cars that are cheaper and faster. There are also many cars that are more expensive and don't look as good. I wouldn't call the TT a 'pure' sports car primarily due to mediocre power, and it's rather weighty in the Quattro versions, but I think it has acceptable performance and damn good looks.

It will drive faster, and handle considerably better than the family station wagon, and that may be sporty enough for your dad.

Oh yeah, it only comes in a manual transmission.

Ultima200

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2000
Do you guys know how to read??? He said $30 grand!!!! You guys are posting cars like BMWs and porches and Audis!!. THe only Audis that are that much are A4s.

arcain

Oct 9, 1999
That is the beauty of the TT.. the average person does not realize it can be gotten for around $30 grand. Invoice on an 180 FWD coupe is under $30 grand. A few options, high inventory, and low demand should yield you a price just above $30 grand.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Be a man and pick up an SVT Lightning for 32k. Talk about balls to the wall and torque on demand. EEEK!

Damn nice cabin too.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
S2000's are in the 30k range, but dealer markups when they were first released were pushing them up twords 35k+

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000

<< Also arent S2000s close to 40 grand? >>

Yes, they are. Which is why I suggest checking out the Prelude as well.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I think that maybe the best car and flashiest car for around 30G is the Nissan Maxima. The new models are all that. One of the best cars in the world for a long time.