New build

webbaja

Jan 23, 2009
Good day, everyone!
It's been a while since I built a computer. As a matter of fact, my current computer is the last one I built, and it's been almost 8-9 years ago. So, time to build a new one.

My basic needs are: Youtube TV, music listening, internet, some business applications, but nothing heavy. So, main things for me are video and audio that are capable of HD quality. The budget is around $500, no preference on brands. The parts will be bought in the USA. Ready to build once everything is sorted out.

Thank you!

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
If you can just wait until February 12th, i'd go with an AMD Ryzen 2200G processor for $99.99. A fast Quad-Core cpu with Vega graphics built-in. Throw in a cheap B350 motherboard, 8GB DDR4, a 250GB SSD and you'll have a blazing little machine for around your budget.

webbaja

Jan 23, 2009
Could someone assemble a list for me using pcpartpicker or something similar?
Thank you!

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
You need to wait 2 more weeks before the new AMD Ryzen APU's hit the market. The one i recommended is the AMD 2200G ($99) that will be coming out then.

Once they are released we can do a pcpartpicker for you. :)

webbaja

Jan 23, 2009
You need to wait 2 more weeks before the new AMD Ryzen APU's hit the market. The one i recommended is the AMD 2200G ($99) that will be coming out then.

Once they are released we can do a pcpartpicker for you. :)
Thank you!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, the wait for these APUs... is gonna be hard. I picked up an Asus Prime B350-E (I think it was the -E), and put in a placeholder A8-9600 quad-core Bristol Ridge APU. (Ok, a $70 place-holder, ouch.)

Even overclocked to 3.9Ghz, the performance A8-9600 was underwhelming. Of course, I put it with a Hybrid Drive, a 2.5" 5400RPM Seagate FireCuda. (It was on sale for $60. The 3.5" FireCuda drives are 7200RPM, and would have been a better choice overall for desktop performance, but they weren't on sale, and were $20 more or so.)

Debating on leaving that rig as-is, or dropping in a 2200G for $100, and moving the A8-9600 to my A320 Biostar board that I picked up for $30 on sale. (half price!).

Either way, definitely looking forward to the 2200G and 2400G APUs! Intend to hook up several friends with one of them.

Too bad 16GB of RAM is going to cost upwards of $150 for the cheaper, slower stuff, and nearly $200 or more for the faster 2933 / 3000 / 3200 RAM that is Ryzen-compatible.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Yeah, the wait for these APUs... is gonna be hard. I picked up an Asus Prime B350-E (I think it was the -E), and put in a placeholder A8-9600 quad-core Bristol Ridge APU. (Ok, a $70 place-holder, ouch.)

Even overclocked to 3.9Ghz, the performance A8-9600 was underwhelming. Of course, I put it with a Hybrid Drive, a 2.5" 5400RPM Seagate FireCuda. (It was on sale for $60. The 3.5" FireCuda drives are 7200RPM, and would have been a better choice overall for desktop performance, but they weren't on sale, and were $20 more or so.)

Debating on leaving that rig as-is, or dropping in a 2200G for $100, and moving the A8-9600 to my A320 Biostar board that I picked up for $30 on sale. (half price!).

Either way, definitely looking forward to the 2200G and 2400G APUs! Intend to hook up several friends with one of them.

Too bad 16GB of RAM is going to cost upwards of $150 for the cheaper, slower stuff, and nearly $200 or more for the faster 2933 / 3000 / 3200 RAM that is Ryzen-compatible.
What I would do is get 8GB for the 2200G and 16Gb for the 2400G.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
My basic needs are: Youtube TV, music listening, internet, some business applications, but nothing heavy. So, main things for me are video and audio that are capable of HD quality. The budget is around $500,

have you considered a prebuilt at that price?

something like this HP Pavillion thats refurbished would fit your niche.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...7509&cm_re=hp_pavilion-_-83-287-509-_-Product

the problem with getting a PC right now is the cost on just the DDR4 would eat a considerable amount of your budget.

And for what your asking for, which is nothing heavy, a quad core i5-7400 is more then enough HP.

Its very difficult to piece out a system for 500 dollars without it being bottom line parts...
And since you didnt mention any gaming AAA titles in wants, again, that cpu would be more then enough.

If you can just wait until February 12th, i'd go with an AMD Ryzen 2200G processor for $99.99. A fast Quad-Core cpu with Vega graphics built-in. Throw in a cheap B350 motherboard, 8GB DDR4, a 250GB SSD and you'll have a blazing little machine for around your budget.

i dont see how he would make that budget.

assuming you can even getr the apu for 99.99.... remember there is always markup at launch...
then we factor in another board still run around 70-100 dollars....
Then factor in another 8gb of DDR4 ~ 100...
thats about 300 just on the core...

Then we need to add a HDD or a SSD, but if we look at that prebuilt it has 1TB HDD which is another 50 dollars...

Now factor in a decient psu 50
and then a case.. 50...
we already almost broke his budget and this is without tax / shipping / Operating System.

you see... im starting to think a prebuilt is probably better for that budget range...

Last edited:

webbaja

Jan 23, 2009
have you considered a prebuilt at that price?

something like this HP Pavillion thats refurbished would fit your niche.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...7509&cm_re=hp_pavilion-_-83-287-509-_-Product

the problem with getting a PC right now is the cost on just the DDR4 would eat a considerable amount of your budget.

And for what your asking for, which is nothing heavy, a quad core i5-7400 is more then enough HP.

Its very difficult to piece out a system for 500 dollars without it being bottom line parts...
And since you didnt mention any gaming AAA titles in wants, again, that cpu would be more then enough.

i dont see how he would make that budget.

assuming you can even getr the apu for 99.99.... remember there is always markup at launch...
then we factor in another board still run around 70-100 dollars....
Then factor in another 8gb of DDR4 ~ 100...
thats about 300 just on the core...

Then we need to add a HDD or a SSD, but if we look at that prebuilt it has 1TB HDD which is another 50 dollars...

Now factor in a decient psu 50
and then a case.. 50...
we already almost broke his budget and this is without tax / shipping / Operating System.

you see... im starting to think a prebuilt is probably better for that budget range...
I just have a desire to build it myself. I know, it will probably be more than $500, but I already have a psu, 1TB hdd from the old rig. I will wait when the new cpu get released, and will go from there. Thank you for suggestion though!

webbaja

Jan 23, 2009
Looks like I will be able to spend a little more on a pc.

So, without counting case, psu, and win 10 software, based on what I described in the initial post, with a budget of $600-700 on the rest, what are the options?
Also, could you suggest something else besides AMD ryzen with graphics built in? If so, what is a decent video card?

I have in mind this case. Could anyone tell me if it is a good one. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA66Z6JY5497

And, for a monitor, I am looking at 27 inch screen with 2K resolution. Any advantage of a curved monitor? Any recommendations?

Thank you!

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
My basic needs are: Youtube TV, music listening, internet, some business applications. So, main things for me are video and audio that are capable of HD quality.

There's no need for a proper full fledged desktop computer. A mini PC or a laptop would be ideal IMO.

So, without counting case, psu, and win 10 software, based on what I described in the initial post, with a budget of $600-700 on the rest, what are the options?

Not sure if using an old PSU is a good idea. What is the make/model and how old is it?

Options:
a) custom built mini-ITX or microATX PC
b) mini barebone PC (plus whatever you need to add to complete the package), e.g. Intel NUC
c) a laptop? Lenovo IdeaPad 320 with i5-7500U (2 cores / 4 threads), 12GB RAM and a 256GB SSD on sale for $630. The beauty of a laptop is you don't need external peripherals to use it - but of course the downside is shorter lifespan due to being a little lower quality, more prone to overheating and practically cannot be upgraded.

I have in mind this case. Could anyone tell me if it is a good one. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA66Z6JY5497

Looks like a gaming case to me. Also, really expensive. You can easily get by with a cheap case since you don't need much airflow or room to expand:

Silverstone SG13B-Q mini-ITX $40
Fractal Design Core 1100 microATX $40

Also, could you suggest something else besides AMD ryzen with graphics built in? If so, what is a decent video card?

You don't need a graphics card - your graphics needs would be fulfilled by an entry level smart phone class integrated GPU.

I second the AMD Ryzen with integrated GPU. Though Coffee Lake i3-8100 isn't bad either - it just costs a little more and requires a 300 series board, like Asrock Z370M ITX-ac $127 after rebate and shipping.

Alternatively, Intel NUC such as NUC7i5BNH with a 250-500GB SSD and 8GB of DDR4 (SODIMM). Next gen Coffee Lake NUCs with more cores are coming in Q2, so a couple more months. But the current 2C/4T NUCs are still perfectly fine for basic needs.

And, for a monitor, I am looking at 27 inch screen with 2K resolution. Any advantage of a curved monitor? Any recommendations?

By "2K" do you mean QHD, as in 1440p, as in 2560 x 1440 pixels?

Curved monitors are for gaming, basically. I recommend prioritizing panel quality - a good IPS or VA should do it. For example: BenQ GW2765HT $299

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
ATX case still not needed for a build that doesn't even benefit from a graphics card. Your motherboard is microATX anyway so you could just go with a microATX case.

But, if you really want a massive case with lots of empty space inside, that Phanteks Eclipse is a fine choice. I have a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M myself and it's excellent.

Here's the CPU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3480&cm_re=ryzen_2400g-_-19-113-480-_-Product
The Asrock A320 board you picked requires a BIOS update to version 4.50: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12426/am4-motherboard-apu-bios-updates
Download here: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

It won't have that version factory-installed (at least not yet), and you can't update the BIOS without a compatible CPU installed first. Options:
(a) Buy a cheap A10-9700 that works on all BIOS versions on that board, update BIOS using it, sell it, then install
(b) Buy the motherboard from a vendor that will update the BIOS for you in exchange for a small sum like $10-15
(c) Avoid having to update the BIOS by just sticking with the A10-9700. Upgrade when you feel like the PC needs more oomph.
(d) Wait for new boards to be released that work with Ryzen 2400G out of the box, or wait until current boards come out of the factory with Raven Ridge compatible BIOS versions (no idea when)
(e) Go with Intel i3-8100

Are you sure you need a 2TB hard disk? Doesn't seem necessary for "Youtube TV, music listening, internet, some business applications". The first three are all online use cases so no massive amounts of local storage required, and the space required to install "business applications" is probably somewhere in the range of 1 - 10 gigabytes.

Here's an intel option in ITX form factor:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone - Sugo SG13B-Q Mini ITX Tower Case ($48.43 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.24 @ OutletPC)
Total: $623.42

+ https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...8024&cm_re=sfx_atx-_-9SIA8HV5NU8024-_-Product $7

Can add external USB3.0 storage as needed. Can add a midrange graphics card, upgrade CPU up to a hexacore Intel i7, upgrade memory up to 2x16GB. WLAN is integrated to motherboard.

webbaja

Jan 23, 2009
Finally decided to go with ryzen 2400g, video cards prices just crazy.
what would be the best and ready motherboard? Up to $100?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Finally decided to go with ryzen 2400g, video cards prices just crazy.

I just want to point out that Intel i3 also has integrated graphics that would be perfectly fine for your needs. Video cards being expensive aren't a reason to go with AMD unless you're specifically building an entry level gaming PC or HTPC. (Disclaimer: I'm not defending Intel.)

hwat would be the best and ready motherboard? Up to $100?
Officially, any motherboard with "Ryzen Desktop 2000 Ready" on the box will be compatible without a BIOS update, but I couldn't find any with a quick search. Anyone else know of any or know when these might become available?

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I just want to point out that Intel i3 also has integrated graphics that would be perfectly fine for your needs. Video cards being expensive aren't a reason to go with AMD unless you're specifically building an entry level gaming PC or HTPC. (Disclaimer: I'm not defending Intel.)

Officially, any motherboard with "Ryzen Desktop 2000 Ready" on the box will be compatible without a BIOS update, but I couldn't find any with a quick search. Anyone else know of any or know when these might become available?
MSI B350 Mortar at Hardware Unboxed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntY5rYR4cE

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
What is with Motherboards not coming with both HDMII AND DP ports? I really think they should be standard features by now. I was looking at this board due to having both of them instead of the ASRock.
Because DP is not free to implement (requires a license and a royalty payment). It's also fairly unnecessary for the vast majority of integrated graphics setups - people who setup their monitors with DP probably tend to also use dedicated graphics.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think that you meant HDMI? HDMI is patented and licensed, my understanding was that DP was royalty-free for licensing for devices, which is why most video cards include one HDMI, one DVI, and several DP or mini-DP.

webbaja

Jan 23, 2009
I am at a point that I cannot select a motherboard. With all this BIOS updates, I don't want to buy another cheaper CPU just to update the board. Is there an alternative?