Question New build problem with flashing bios

Nooowhyyughh

Dec 18, 2018
Motherboard is Crosshair VI Hero ( not the WiFi version)

Basically I just need to make a decision if weather I’m going to buy another or same motherboard or if there is any hope to fix the bios in this one. What would you guys do?

All started Last night when I was looking at the motherboards manual before proceeding to update under “Bios update utility” Reason why I decided to try and update is because I’ve been having a stutter when surfing the internet. Sometimes it’s more noticeable than other times but other than that the pc has been running fine since until I decided to update my bios using a flash drive last night for the First time to see if it will fix the stutter. The first time I tried to update it I Accidentally used the wrong bios because There are two versions of my motherboard, one is (WiFi) and I have the one without the WiFi.

Basically this is what I did, downloaded the WiFi bios version from Asus website, extracted/unzipped it to the root of the flash using windows unzip, renamed the file C6H.CAP as instructed in the motherboards manual, turned off the pc and power, inserted the flash drive in the bios usb, held down the flashback button for three seconds and didn’t do anything so I turned on the pc then noticed I had downloaded the wrong version so I replaced it with the one my board “supports” (the one without WiFi) then repeated the same procedure exactly and this time I noticed a big difference in the way that light flashed and how long it took to turn off...unaware yet I was hoping...after the pc showed the Asus logo screen I tried entering bios and only some logo/name appeared at the top saying “American” and I forget the other word underneath. Tried to restart several time to see if I could enter bios but noticed the same Q code on the motherboard show up “0d” manual says it’s “Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes”

also tried using the motherboards dvd to see if it will enter bios when I restart the pc but then it started giving me Q code F9 “recovery capsule not found” presuming the dvd that comes with the Mobo is the same as the Asus CrashFree Bios 3 utility/motherboard support dvd that the manual speaks about. (I also tried restarting using all three dvd drives to make sure)

Also tried enabling the LN2 Mode jumper after I turned off the pc with no luck.(assuming I did it correctly)

1) turned off pc
2)moved the jumper pin to enabled
3 restarted pc
4) get the same code

This morning I was on the phone with them and the guy handling my case number said to clear the cmos which is the only thing I didn’t do before and after flashing the bios with the update. Unfortunately nothing new happened and still get the same codes.

I am now waiting to hear back from their experts to get further support.

(Was just reading today too that it’s important to disconnect all drives from mother board, disconnecting any usb flash drives and connecting the keyboard to a usb 2.0 before doing the bios update for any of you who are thinking about updating their bios... not sure if it affected the process but I had a dvd in one of the 3 drives when I did the update, live and learn right. Lol)

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
OS Storage: SSD PNY 480 GB
Mother board: ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO
CPU COOLER: Thermaltake water 3.0 Triple Riing
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200 (Cas 14)
GPU: RTX 2080
PSU: 1000 Watt coolermaster
Also have a few other regular sata drives I use as storage.

Btw I also ran into this info about adding a special text file with the bios file to retry updating the bios, what do you guys think? or is there something else you can think of?

Scroll down and check under Intact Bios boot block:
https://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-update-error.htm

If there’s someone out there that can save me from an rma or taking that pc to see if I can save the board I don’t have any problem rewarding you well.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 905540DA-907A-4B18-BACB-9F7F9F5FC173.jpeg
    905540DA-907A-4B18-BACB-9F7F9F5FC173.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
(Was just reading today too that it’s important to disconnect all drives from mother board, disconnecting any usb flash drives and connecting the keyboard to a usb 2.0 before doing the bios update for any of you who are thinking about updating their bios... not sure if it affected the process but I had a dvd in one of the 3 drives when I did the update, live and learn right. Lol)

Nonsense, never heard of that or done it over 20 years!

Have you followed the instructions On This Page?

Nooowhyyughh

Dec 18, 2018
Hey guys So I’m getting the same model motherboard today and just need some confirmation and have some questions about swapping out the motherboard BEFORE I do.

1) Should I expect any problems running the original Drive where I was running my OS?
Because I am really not looking forward to reinstalling everything the way I had it.

2) If answer is yes, I should have no problem accessing the files on it so I can transferr them when I do a new OS correct?

3) Would you recommend I use Linux? I will be using different software like photoshop, and video editing software. Will also be gaming quite a bit.

4) Has anyone used a spi programmer to unBrick their motherboard?

Thanks

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
can you pop out the old cmos chip? i had to do that on a DFI board long ago. I tried to look at the photos on asus site and they only give a far away view of the board (strange). The OS will work fine with out reinstall tho. good luck.

Nooowhyyughh

Dec 18, 2018
I’ve decided I’m going to swap the motherboard with the same model board I got yesterday and will be installing Linux and win 10 on two m.2 nvme ssds today.

Not sure if I will be partitioning one or installing the two OS separately, what do you guys recommend?

Before I do I have a few questions.

1) stupid questions but do you remove the plastic on both sides of the heat pad before you use it on the m.2? I’m assuming you do lol

2) motherboard only has one m.2 slot so I will be using a m.2 pcie adapter, is there any difference in performance between these two? (See Pics)

if there is a difference suppose it would make sense to partition the m.2 connected directly to mobo for windows and Linux.

Attachments

• E00AB740-452A-4A3D-938F-C8CB80BBFE8C.jpeg
    E00AB740-452A-4A3D-938F-C8CB80BBFE8C.jpeg
    751.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DC465EBB-B335-49A4-924C-AE02F5FFEEE2.jpeg
    DC465EBB-B335-49A4-924C-AE02F5FFEEE2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2