Question New build. Need component advice. $2K-$2400 budget.

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
Would like to keep budget to $2000 but can stretch to $2400

Here is what I will need my computer to do:

* Play the latest FPS games at max settings. Far Cry

* Solidworks (CAD / CAM ) . Likely won't be building assemblies involving more than 3 dozen parts

* Some video editing for YouTube content creation

* Surfing the net, watching movies

1) I am leaning strongly towards the Core I9-10900K

2) What Mobo should I get. Budget is $200 - $300 . Need a stable MoBo brand. Any opinions on the Asus Prime Z490 A and the Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra ?

3) I am leaning towards the GeForce RTX 2060 Super. Is that enough ?

4) 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo plus PCIe nvme M.2 Should I go Raid 1, because I have always had issues with storage device crashing and me losing content

5) Seasonic 750 Watt power supply. Is it enough or should I got 850 watt)

6) NZXT or Corsair liquid cooling ? Thinking 280mm or 360mm radiator . Which is better NZXT Kraken X73 or Corsair H150I pro ?

7) G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 gig DDR4-3600Mhz (2x 16 gig)

8) Case is NZXT H710 atx Mid Tower

9) What sound card ?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
3) I am leaning towards the GeForce RTX 2060 Super. Is that enough ?
It's likely to work, but I don't think we can answer this question until you tell us what monitor resolution you want. There are several questions like that that would be helpful.

1) I am leaning strongly towards the Core I9-10900K
Are you sure? AMD is quite competitive in Solidworks. It depends on what operations you will do most frequently.

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 gig DDR4-3600Mhz
Not a bad choice, but you could get better, cheaper RAM (lower CAS) even if you insist on the G.Skill brand. I assume you want this RAM for its looks?

4) 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo plus PCIe nvme M.2 Should I go Raid 1, because I have always had issues with storage device crashing and me losing content
RAID is not a backup!!! It probably won't help with your speed either on a consumer-level system.

I recommend a 2TB spinner, a backup schedule (incremental at night, maybe at lunch, and weekly full backup), and weekly full backup to an external drive.

8) Case is NZXT H710 atx Mid Tower
$300+ for a case? o_O

What sound card ?
Normally, these days, one uses the sound built in to the motherboard. Non-audiophiles use whatever they get. Mid-range audiophiles may pick a motherboard for its sound chip. High-end audiophiles use digital audio out and plug that into their external sound system.

In Intel land, once you've decided on a Z chipset, you pick a motherboard for its ports, its voltage regulators for the CPU, and its audio chip. VRM matters a little more if you overclock; I don't recommend doing so if you're doing important stuff.

Any opinions on the Asus Prime Z490 A and the Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra ?
As a non-audiophile, that ASUS looks really nice! The only thing the Gigabyte has better is the audio chip.

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
It's likely to work, but I don't think we can answer this question until you tell us what monitor resolution you want. There are several questions like that that would be helpful.

Are you sure? AMD is quite competitive in Solidworks. It depends on what operations you will do most frequently.

Not a bad choice, but you could get better, cheaper RAM (lower CAS) even if you insist on the G.Skill brand. I assume you want this RAM for its looks?

RAID is not a backup!!! It probably won't help with your speed either on a consumer-level system.

I recommend a 2TB spinner, a backup schedule (incremental at night, maybe at lunch, and weekly full backup), and weekly full backup to an external drive.

$300+ for a case? o_O

Normally, these days, one uses the sound built in to the motherboard. Non-audiophiles use whatever they get. Mid-range audiophiles may pick a motherboard for its sound chip. High-end audiophiles use digital audio out and plug that into their external sound system.

In Intel land, once you've decided on a Z chipset, you pick a motherboard for its ports, its voltage regulators for the CPU, and its audio chip. VRM matters a little more if you overclock; I don't recommend doing so if you're doing important stuff.

As a non-audiophile, that ASUS looks really nice! The only thing the Gigabyte has better is the audio chip.

Since making the thread I have changed my mind on CPU choice. I am now waiting for the Ryzen 9 3900XT to come out , which is supposed to be very soon.

CPU cooler: Not sure whether to go with NZXT Kraken x73 360MM AIO or the Noctua NH-D15

Mobo : Gigabyte Aorus Pro wifi X570 ATX (is this a good mobo or are there better ones for under $300 ?)

Still going with G-Skill Trident Z cause it appears to be a good ram , judging by online reviews and YouTube videos. Don't care about looks or RGB, only care about performance and stability.

Storage: Going with 1tb PCIe 4 Sabrent Rocket 3200mhz CAS 16 unless there is something better for around $200 or less.

GPU: think I am going to wait till Nvidia RTX 3080 cards are released, not sure right now.

PSU: Seasonic 850W gold

Case: NZHT H510, which is around $70

Secondary storage: Just bought a 2tb Seagate SSD external drive