Question New build issues with GPU causing Win11 to be corrupted

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Okay. But it's not like the memory couldn't be used elsewhere....or returned if not the issue.
I started to get into another reason which is where we live. If I go early Sunday morning I can get MC in just over an hour. It took me over 2 hours in traffic to get home last Sunday afternoon. Also, I've returned enough tech stuff to Amazon. And I just don't have the need for any DDR5 memory.

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
I started to get into another reason which is where we live. If I go early Sunday morning I can get MC in just over an hour. It took me over 2 hours in traffic to get home last Sunday afternoon. Also, I've returned enough tech stuff to Amazon. And I just don't have the need for any DDR5 memory.
Cool. Sounds like you've convinced yourself. Intel/AMD, I'm ambivalent and have a nice one from both camps. No prejudice here. I just hate for someone to get so close and not determine the real issue.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Cool. Sounds like you've convinced yourself. Intel/AMD, I'm ambivalent and have a nice one from both camps. No prejudice here. I just hate for someone to get so close and not determine the real issue.
Well, I might have gotten it figured out. I changed the new M.2 2TB SSD for a 2.5 year old one. I put the RX 6900 XT back in the system and loaded some stuff wit a fresh install of Windows 10 Home. I tried a few of the things that were making it crash and then really went all out for maximum stress. I ran both Valley and Heaven at the same time with very high settings on each, plus I ran stress test on CPU-Z. It has yet to choke.

I'll give a it a few days before declaring victory.

John

Attachments

• BIG Test on Different M.2 SSD.png
    BIG Test on Different M.2 SSD.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
Jul 27, 2020
With data corruption on SSD and only 1080p Extreme benchmark failing, the culprit might be the physical mobo PCIe lanes or the CPU IOD is bad.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
With data corruption on SSD and only 1080p Extreme benchmark failing, the culprit might be the physical mobo PCIe lanes or the CPU IOD is bad.
Both Valley and Heaven have made it crash. I did wonder if the PCIe lanes where the 980 Pro was install were a problem. The 970 Evo+ is in a different M.2 slot.
Test with a real game too, that has streaming textures.
Right now I've got to get Steam running and that is my plan. Cyberpunk sounds like a great option for testing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I knew it seemed too good to be true. I had just added Cinebench R23.2 and Ryzen Master. I ran a 10-min session and all was well. I exited and a minute later I got a screen that I've seen many times before, but was never fast enough to capture until now. It is a BSOD, but in a weird format and it has always been like this.

Does this give anyone a clue?

Attachments

• 20230718_220132.jpg
    20230718_220132.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 15

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
How many sticks of RAM are you using? Pull out half and see what happens.

Jul 27, 2020
Also, to weed out a windows problem test with Linux to see if it's an actual hw issue.
Yeah. I second that. I tried Clear Linux boot from USB. It was nice. Intel's own distro so should be rock stable.

Installing and running benchmarks may not be straightforward to someone used to Windows but you can figure it out if you feel like learning.

Another option is Pop OS! You can install Quake RTX on it and it should run right away, with almost no tinkering.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
It's just the video refresh distorting it. Scan the qr and see where it leads.
I did and it says to look up BSOD Troubleshooting Guide. Nothing specific.
Also, to weed out a windows problem test with Linux to see if it's an actual hw issue.
I did start with Linux Mint, but their kernel did not support Radeon Graphics and I did have crashing tabs while watching YouTube videos with Firefox.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
How many sticks of RAM are you using? Pull out half and see what happens.
I took out one stick and left one in A2. Booted, ran CPU-Z benchmark, then Superposition 1080p Extreme and the benchmark crashed immediately. I swapped RAM sticks and same thing happened.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
@igor_kavinski
@Tech Junky
@bba-tcg
@VirtualLarry

I thought I'd let you guys know what the final outcome is. I took the 7900x combo back to MC on Thursday and picked up the MB and cooler that are in the new section of sig below. I had ordered a cpu from Amazon and their truck was driving away as I pulled up at the house. I set it up and tested it outside the case, all was well. So I had it in the case by bed time. Yesterday I did a good bit of testing and installed a bunch of stuff. Last night 3 of our grandkids came to visit for a few nights as their parents had an event to attend nearby. Hunter, the young man about to turn 12, spent at least 8 hours gaming so far. There were no issues.

He is pictured here with his 14 year old sister playing Fortnite. She is on a Dell Precission T3620 that I got for her that is an early Christmas and birthday present. The T3620 has a Xeon E3-1245 V6 CPU and a Quadro M4000 GPU. They actually are really good at Fortnite and won a few battle royals.

NEW BYUID: Win 11 Pro | i7-12700K | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX D4 | Deepcool AK620 Dark CPU Cooler | XFX Speedster MERC319 Radeon RX 6900 XT Black Gaming | Cosair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 | Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB | WD Black 1TB | Lian Li Lancool 216RGB ATX Case | Seasonic Focus PX750 80+ Platinum | Acer Nitro 32" 1440P 165 Hz Monitor

20230722_123035.jpg

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I quickly read through a lot of this -- I have "friends" contributing to the thread. This is the sort of hassle I don't have enough time for anymore. I've stuck with Intel, partly out of a lazy desire to simplify my life a little for pursuing this hobby. The last time around, I was still over-clocking my new systems and making preparations for it as extra trouble.

But because I use my computers for more than just gaming, and because I have important files to maintain, I would keep a new build in "test phase" for at least three months before transferring my files and programs from the older system.

Tech Junky talked me out of building a new system this year, or for the time being. I've got my Media PC hooked up, tweaked and working. I've moved my two twin desktops to new positions under my desk, and now I only have a single monitor on my desk -- while I whittle away at the remaining clutter. Made a trip to the Agua Mansa county e-waste recycler today with about 10 or more lbs of cyber junk. And THAT'S an ongoing process that is going to take more time.

After all that, I dropped by Pepito's to get a carry-out Chile Verde enchilada dinner and a couple tacos. Shared it with Moms when I got home. We're all happy. And -- keeping cool.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
@igor_kavinski
@Tech Junky
@bba-tcg
@VirtualLarry

I thought I'd let you guys know what the final outcome is. I took the 7900x combo back to MC on Thursday and picked up the MB and cooler that are in the new section of sig below. I had ordered a cpu from Amazon and their truck was driving away as I pulled up at the house. I set it up and tested it outside the case, all was well. So I had it in the case by bed time. Yesterday I did a good bit of testing and installed a bunch of stuff. Last night 3 of our grandkids came to visit for a few nights as their parents had an event to attend nearby. Hunter, the young man about to turn 12, spent at least 8 hours gaming so far. There were no issues.

He is pictured here with his 14 year old sister playing Fortnite. She is on a Dell Precission T3620 that I got for her that is an early Christmas and birthday present. The T3620 has a Xeon E3-1245 V6 CPU and a Quadro M4000 GPU. The actually are really good at Fortnite and won a few battle royals.

View attachment 83399
I wish I was that young again, or had the energy I possessed at half my age. I'm happy you got this all sorted out.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I wasn't planning on building a new system. I just wanted to move my stuff to a new case and PSU. I thought in the process I'd add a little RGB to it. Then I totally mucked up my old system in the process of hurriedly moving to the new case before my wife got back from a family visit. From there it has been a real journey that has lasted 4 weeks and has caused a lot of unwanted stress. At least I got it done before the grandkids got here and they were impressed.

A little over 2 years ago my Mom passed away at 103 years and 8 months. She was in a nursing home the last few years and it was very hard with COVID as I couldn't visit and she couldn't understand why not.

I also do a lot more on my computer than gaming. I'm actually not very good at gaming anymore as my reactions times make these battle royal type games almost impossible to play. I got into World of Warcraft in May 2005 and just do solo questing and leveling. Since I backup files to a portable drive and put some on OneDrive, I don't have an issue putting my data on the new system. I do a pretty good job of stress testing a new system, so I'm pretty confident it will work for me.

Good luck with your new system!

Reactions: DAPUNISHER