New Build/Hero VII

PredawnBelial

Nov 1, 2014
Hello all, I am building my first tower and I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot. I would appreciate any help and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this here or if this is very specific to mobo's, so please bear with me.

Firstly, I am looking at the ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-125-_-Product).

I've looked around on the reviews a lot and have found that there may be some type of issue with sound? I don't know if its something specific that I wont notice or if it will actually be an issue, if anyone knows about this and can specify that would be awesome.

And I also don't know how to make sure that everything is compatible. I look it up as best I can but I figure it doesn't hurt to post everything on my list and see if there are any suggestions.

Case: Rosewill Rise
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 80PLUS B2 Bronze Certified
CPU: Intel i7
HDD : Western Digital Blue 1TB
CD Drive: Asus (just a cheap $20 one)
Ram: G.SKILL Trident X Series (4 x 8GB)
CPU Heatsink: CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 120mm
Graphics Card: (already gifted to me) ASUS GTX580

Once again I really appreciate anyones help with this, as I have found out a lot of really good information but at the same time I don't want to be unsure about anything I didn't have to be. The most important thing for me is the sound issue with the mobo, but any help is always good.

Thank you for your time :)

Last edited:

PredawnBelial

Nov 1, 2014
Gaming. I will only be getting 2 8gb sticks to start but I will eventually get more. I intend to run games like Arma 3 while using teamspeak/skype while running things to show my temperatures and performance, while possibly running recording software for videos (both game vid/audio and external camera vid/audio).

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
I own a 2x8GB setup and intend to get another 2x8GB later down the line if I need to.
Anyway, I've had this setup for a year, and I don't remember going over 8GB of RAM usage. I've been at 6GB/7GB from time to time, but then again, I'm mostly a gamer.

I don't regret going the 2x8GB way. And I recommend it. But 4x8Gb is too much if you're just gonna game and do general stuff.

:EDIT:
As for the build, no SSD is a bad BAD thing. I recommend at least 250GB but if you can afford going for a single 500GB+ SSD and drop the HDD altogether, that's the best.
Also, you didn't specify the CPU, and getting an Hero with a GTX580 is, I believe, a waste of money. Unless you intend on buying a new VGA a year from now or something, because you're better off going for a cheaper motherboard, selling your 580 and getting a new VGA instead.
As for the CPU, I hope it's a 4790k (cause what else amirite).
As for the rest of the stuff, if you're not gonna be serious about overclocking, you definitely don't need to spend money on heatsinks and liquid cooling and whatnot. A run of the mill Z97 motherboard with the features you need will do. Specially if you spend the money you save on a gaming keyboard (Mad Katz?) and mouse (Logitech G501s?) and a PROPER 5.1 gaming headset (Roccat Kave?).

:wink: :wink: :nudge: :nudge:

Last edited:

PredawnBelial

Nov 1, 2014
I typed this and realized it sounds sarcastic or self centered, I do not wish for it to be so and mean no disrespect.
Well Morbus. For one, I have multiple people who have been building for years and years and yes, SSD is much better, it's not necessary whatsoever. I know this because two of them only have a HDD and they have no issues.
I don't know how you have the i5, yet say I didn't specify a CPU when I put i7... And I don't really know what you are going on about with the VGA stuff, I thought that was simply the cheap old school monitor cable, but I don't know much so I can't really say anything about that.
Considering the high performance of the i7, I know the CPU will at least need an upgraded (aftermarket) heatsink, and why not just get liquid cooling for extra assuredness. I have no intentions of overclocking but always good to have better stuff.

If anyone is interested I already have my gaming peripherals planned and probably don't need advice on that, although any mobo I get will need an output to best serve my benq monitor.

Thank you guys for your advice so far, and I do hope someone can clarify the possible issues with my specific motherboard. :)

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
I typed this and realized it sounds sarcastic or self centered, I do not wish for it to be so and mean no disrespect.
No problem at all.

Well Morbus. For one, I have multiple people who have been building for years and years and yes, SSD is much better, it's not necessary whatsoever. I know this because two of them only have a HDD and they have no issues.
SSD is not necessary, but it is advised if you're gonna play games in general. And by "advised" I mean, why spend so much elsewhere and skimp on the HDD? You'll get increased boot performance, a quieter machine, improved installation times and of course decreased loading times in games.

It does depend on what you play, of course. I myself play stuff like Civilization (HUGE improvements when run on an SSD) or Sims 3 with boatloads of custom contents (again, load times are already too big on an SSD let alone an HDD). And if you're playing games at max settings, you're always taxing the HDD that little bit extra and load times will inevitably increase.

Just because you have no issues with going HDD only doesn't mean you should. I mean, my work computer has no issues with a first generation i5 CPU, but doesn't mean I should go with it for my gaming rig...

I don't know how you have the i5, yet say I didn't specify a CPU when I put i7...
There are literally tens of different i7 CPUs. What I meant was you didn't specify WHICH i7 you are intent on buying. I do suggest the top of the line one, but it depends on if you have the money for it, of course. For gaming, an i5 (top of the line) is considerably cheaper at almost no performance cost for the vast majority of games, and like 10% FPS drop on a couple of games.

And I don't really know what you are going on about with the VGA stuff, I thought that was simply the cheap old school monitor cable, but I don't know much so I can't really say anything about that.
I meant GPU. Graphics card.

Considering the high performance of the i7, I know the CPU will at least need an upgraded (aftermarket) heatsink, and why not just get liquid cooling for extra assuredness. I have no intentions of overclocking but always good to have better stuff.
Because the stock cooler is more than capable of handling stock workloads. You only need a custom heatsink if you're overclocking, otherwise the stock is perfectly fine.

If anyone is interested I already have my gaming peripherals planned and probably don't need advice on that, although any mobo I get will need an output to best serve my benq monitor.
That's for the graphics card to handle.

PredawnBelial

Nov 1, 2014
@Morbus
Yeah, I actually found out a bunch of stuff about the different CPUs from Intel (I had no idea), and the same for the video out. I thought the Graphics card was just attached, but it makes so much more sense that it would have connections for monitors.

-_- so much learning hah.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
That's nice enough for the price. But that's last year's generation, so you won't be able to use the broadwell i7 (this year's) and will have to use a haswell (i7). The difference in price is tiny, and so is the difference in performance, but I don't see a reason to go with a Z87 + haswell when you could go with a Z97 + broadwell for very little more money.

Also, back when I was searching for a motherboard to buy, I didn't read very many good reviews on MSI's G45 and G43. I can't imagine the G41 being better. Can't speak for myself, and my last MSI motherboard never let me down, but I personally recommend Asus or Asrock.

PredawnBelial

Nov 1, 2014
Well I do love ASUS, but I keep having to remind myself that this is my first build and I don't have much money to put into it. I'll probably have to settle with the i5 and just deal with is till I can get in a... less debt-y state? Haha. Thanks for the feedback guys, I really do appreciate it.