Question New Build - Help/Recommendations Needed......

giorgio_pin

Aug 11, 2010
Hi. Am ready to build a new PC having run current one for nearly 12 years. It's still going strong but starting to have issues with latest games. I am looking for recommendations for M/B, CPU and GPU. Things have changed a lot in 12 years. After a little research I was set on another Gigabyte AMD M/B (my preference). A Ryzen 7 7700x CPU and an Nvidia GPU. The problem is I have emailed Gigabyte to recommend a M/B without onboard graphics capabilities, but I have since found that the Ryzen CPU comes with a graphics chip so I would need a M/B with the graphics option after all. I am not up to date with latest technology but why on earth would a gaming M/B or CPU come with a graphics chip? I just don't need it, have never needed it. It just adds to cost unnecessarily. So, can someone possibly recommend a Gigabyte AMD M/B that's going to keep me going another 10+ years and a Ryzen CPU without a graphics chip that is going to keep me going just as long. Or should I just get the intergrated graphics even though I don't figure on ever using it.
My current set up is a GA-870A-UD3 M/B, Phenom II x6 1090t CPU and a GTX 1050ti graphics card.

Any help/tips much appreciated.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Use pcpartpicker.com and things will come together quickly. It's all going to be personal preference and you have the majority of parts picked out already. Having an iGPU built in can save your butt though if your GPU goes out and you still need access to the system while you wait on a replacement. $20 for the built in insurance won't break the bank.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've never used the on-board graphics, but it's kind of nice knowing that it's there if I need it.
DO NOT let that alter your choice for CPU. Just get the one you want. As long as uou plug your monitor into the GPU's graphics output (HDMI or DP) and not into the port on the motherboard's rear IO panel...you're good to go.

giorgio_pin

Aug 11, 2010
Thanks for replies. I do have a decent laptop for when things go wrong and have always managed without onboard graphics previously. Will checkout the website.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I built my daughter a 7600X with a Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX for Christmas. It has performed very well. We had a quirk with the LAN port, but I believe it is working fine now. Obviously this build would also work with a 7700X, but honestly I would consider the new 7800X3D that is going to be released next month as well.

Some of the parts on here were picked up during a Christmas sale so the build would be a little more now than the prices shown.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Thanks for replies. I do have a decent laptop for when things go wrong and have always managed without onboard graphics previously. Will checkout the website.

The laptop would help for looking up issues that might crop up...but having the CPU/GPU would assist you in applying any fixes Should you have a GPU problem.
Really, don't let the CPU having graphics built in be a deciding factor.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Yeah, most boards these days have some sort of graphics tied in for BIOS/UEFI management but that doesn't do much for the os. The CPU igpu is what makes that work.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Yeah, most boards these days have some sort of graphics tied in for BIOS/UEFI management but that doesn't do much for the os. The CPU igpu is what makes that work.
?? AFAIK, excepting server boards, there are no motherboards that have their own display adapter/controllers these days. It's just providing the connection from the CPU-integrated graphics to the soldered display output ports on the I/O back panel, maybe some switch or PHY chip involved but without a display/graphics in the CPU the motherboard connectors won't output anything.