New Build (finally) Need advice.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Hello there Fanatical Meat, I am building a 3900x centered system and considering the X570 Steel Legend as the motherboard of my choice. Did you end up with that board along the Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (BLS2K16G4D32AESB) you were talking about?
I am reading this motherboard is quite picky when it comes to RAM and I wanted to confirm whether they are compatible. If so, did you manage to run them at their advertised speed (3200 MHz) or maybe even higher since these are known to be excellent overclockers?
I was looking to PM you, but apparently as a new member I am not able to, so I hope you get to see this. :)

That model number looks familiar and yes it works at its rated speed and latency. I over clocked it to 3600 and it sort of worked but crashed when stressed. I did not change the voltage.
Also I picked up a second set from Amazon in December and I could not get it to boot with 4 sticks installed. Amazon seller so I’m not sure if it was a different run of memory or what but either set would boot, they would not boot together at any speed. Again amazon seller and only stuff I tried was booting at lower speed to see if it would work. I didn’t spend much time fooling with it.
Overall I like the board only things I don’t like:
Fan placement will be blocked by long graphics cards however I don’t think that would be a problem, just irritating to look at
Previous memory problem but again I did little research and little to get it to work
Chipset fan always runs however the speed can be modified. Chipset fan cannot he heard over the case fans and pump.

I’m pretty happy with it overall. Decent board, not too expensive, being able to add a thunder bolt add on card is sort of a nice bonus.

If I were buying today I would buy the new memory modules from crucial for the simple reason it will be easier to add more in the future.

Edit: Provided I remember I will run the crucial memory advisor and post the model numbers here.
Thing I like about crucial is they are serious about compatibility because they have so many corporate clients.

Edit 2: feel free to post in this thread to give me a reminder if I forget tonight. I’ll gladly do it with a reminder.

Last edited:

Crystal_Chrome

Mar 24, 2020
Thanks a lot for your reply!

That model number looks familiar and yes it works at its rated speed and latency..
Yes, it's the exact code you've posted yourself.

I over clocked it to 3600 and it sort of worked but crashed when stressed.
Which means you haven't tried to get it to run stable again, right? ? Hmm... I ordered this set hoping I'd be able to catch 3600 MHz. Hopefully it's something further experimentation could fix.

Also I picked up a second set from Amazon in December and I could not get it to boot with 4 sticks installed. Amazon seller so I’m not sure if it was a different run of memory or what but either set would boot, they would not boot together at any speed. Again amazon seller and only stuff I tried was booting at lower speed to see if it would work. I didn’t spend much time fooling with it..

That's a bit concerning too... I'll be fine with 32 GB for quite a while I guess but I'd still like to be able to update to 64 GB if necessary.
For what it's worth, this guy seems to run 2 sets / 64 GB with no problems with ASRock X570 Extreme4 which is supposed to be a nearly identical motherboard with the X570 Steel Legend. Of course, I'm not sure whether that's an accurate assumption....

Fan placement will be blocked by long graphics cards however I don’t think that would be a problem, just irritating to look at
Chipset fan always runs however the speed can be modified. Chipset fan cannot he heard over the case fans and pump.
I don't care about the looks at all as long as everything is functional, quiet and relatively cool. My case would be Fractal Define R6 with no tempered glass. It will be mainly an audio production system so I need all the sound proofing I can get...
My video card is: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1660-SUPER-GAMING-X/Specification
MSI says the dimensions are: 247 x 127 x 46 mm and it comes with 2 fans. Do you think it's going to block the fan?

I’m pretty happy with it overall.
Well my other alternatives are the Aorus Elite and Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (which is more expensive though). It does look like a decent board, at least for its cost but the chipset fan issue along the fact that it seems SO HARD to get RAM guaranteed to work (32 GB / 3600MHz / ideally with 16 cas or lower I mean) worry me. The only set I have confirmed to work is G.Skill TridentZ Neo 32GB DDR4-3600MHz which is over 200 euros because of the RBGs I couldn't care less about. So not really an option....

If I were buying today I would buy the new memory modules from crucial for the simple reason it will be easier to add more in the future.
As I've said I just can't find any 32 GB, let alone 64 GB/3600MHz set with sensible price confirmed to work... I thought Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 was a good choice, especially for its relatively good price but if I can't get them to run at 3600MHz or add another set in the future, I am not sure anymore.

being able to add a thunder bolt add on card is sort of a nice bonus.
This is the main reason I consider this board in the first place. It's the cheapest AMD board you can add TB at some point with an add in card. I don't need it right now, but it'd be nice to be able too connect an audio interface via TB for lower latency at some point in the future.
I'm not too excited about the "If Thunderbolt™ support is enabled, SATA type M.2 will be disabled." note on the product page though....

EDIT: https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bls4k16g4d32aese/ct15234112
According this, you shouldn't have problems running both sets. Sure, it's a set of 4 modules sold together but AFAIK it's the very same module x 4, albeit in red. Provided both sets you have are BLS2K16G4D32AESB , you shouldn't have a problem running them according the advisor.

Last edited:

Crystal_Chrome

Mar 24, 2020
Edit 2: feel free to post n this thread to give me a reminder if I forget tonight. I’ll gladly do it with a reminder.

Well, based on that I thought you wouldn't mind much If I remind you. :) Really curious whether reaching 3600 MHz and have all 4 modules working is possible!

Feb 4, 2009
Well, based on that I thought you wouldn't mind much If I remind you. :) Really curious whether reaching 3600 MHz and have all 4 modules working is possible!

Here is a link to the crucial scan

All are listed as guaranteed compatible or money back, just check on the return period.

I haven't tried upping the voltage and running 3600 16-16-18 yet. I know it was not stable at 1.35v.

Last edited:

Crystal_Chrome

Mar 24, 2020
Here is a link to the crucial scan

All are listed as guaranteed compatible or money back, just check on the return period.

I haven't tried upping the voltage and running 3600 16-16-18 yet. I know it was not stable at 1.35v.

Interesting. I've talked with someone from their support chat some days ago and they said that in order for the other two modules to be compatible, the timings and even the voltage should be identical which is not always the case in that list.
Do you happen to know whether that guarantee is only effective in the US and/or through their site only or by authorized reselllers too?

Feb 4, 2009
Interesting. I've talked with someone from their support chat some days ago and they said that in order for the other two modules to be compatible, the timings and even the voltage should be identical which is not always the case in that list.
Do you happen to know whether that guarantee is only effective in the US and/or through their site only or by authorized reselllers too?

Not sure, micron/crucial is a good company. Read up and go for it.
What you discovered could have been my problem but honestly now that they have 2x32 sticks I’d go that route if I were to do it over.

Crystal_Chrome

Mar 24, 2020
So I've been checking this thread
and it seems upping the voltage at 1.4 v is pretty common. I have no experience with overclocking but maybe it's needed in order to run 3600MHz.