Question New Build Components .. PC Partpicker link

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
AMD 2600 Build List

I'm pretty sure my choices are all solid. I like the price point for sure. I only game at 1080p, so I really don't need anything more than that, I can't afford to replace my monitor along with the system. Add around $90 for the LanCool 2 case when it becomes available and ignore the Vertical GPU mount for now, that's just a reminder to get it later at some point.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Tbh no way that system needs more than a couple hundred watts. Quality unit too.
I agree. A quality 550w is plenty.

That GPU lists a 350w PSU as the recommended size, and that's taking into the manufacturer covering junk units (which the G3 isn't).

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
550 watt sounds sort of low, I’d spend a little extra and get more power
Do you really need an ssd & nvme drive?
All the PSU calculators I looked at nail it around 400w. Wanted 550w at least for future upgrades. And no, I don’t need both but I prefer keeping my game library separate from my OS install and I’m done with slow mechanical HDD’s.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
So basically, y’all think it’s pretty solid? It’s been a long time since I’ve built a new pc and things have changed a lot.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
All the PSU calculators I looked at nail it around 400w. Wanted 550w at least for future upgrades. And no, I don’t need both but I prefer keeping my game library separate from my OS install and I’m done with slow mechanical HDD’s.
So basically, y’all think it’s pretty solid? It’s been a long time since I’ve built a new pc and things have changed a lot.
You will likely never see that build pull more than around 200w if playing something really demanding like a synthetic graphics benchmark, and I imagine it will top out around 150w most of the time in "real life" usage.

That 550w G3 is a good choice.

Depending on current pricing, the Seasonic Focus Plus, and Corsair RMx are both really good units as well. The Corsair TX-M is another solid PSU if you are OK with semi-modular cables.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
You could get some cheaper memory that performs the same, but I'm thinking you picked that particular kit for aesthetic reasons which is fine too. The only thing I would really change is get a Intel 660p 1TB M.2 instead of the Team drive, the Intel is just $3 more.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
You will likely never see that build pull more than around 200w if playing something really demanding like a synthetic graphics benchmark, and I imagine it will top out around 150w most of the time in "real life" usage.

That 550w G3 is a good choice.

Depending on current pricing, the Seasonic Focus Plus, and Corsair RMx are both really good units as well. The Corsair TX-M is another solid PSU if you are OK with semi-modular cables.

After dealing with old-school psu’s for 20 yrs, the last Corsair I got ... 5 yrs ago(?) had semi-modular cables, meaning the main power cables were still attached. That was not a cheap PSU then either, but that thought process and ease of use changed my mind permanently. If available, I will never use a PSU with permanently attached power cables in my systems ever.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
You could get some cheaper memory that performs the same, but I'm thinking you picked that particular kit for aesthetic reasons which is fine too. The only thing I would really change is get a Intel 660p 1TB M.2 instead of the Team drive, the Intel is just $3 more.

You are correct sir, it was aesthetic, this is my first system with RGB and they fit with the mobo. And they were reasonably priced for the design and speed rating.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
I’d switch to IC diamond or another thermal paste that doesn’t pump out over time.

Ok, explain please. Most of the paste I’ve ever used was what came with the cpu, or that one tube of Arctic Silver I bought years ago, mainly because they were the only brand available. I would like to know what makes them different now.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
Ok, I see the mobo has 2 m.2 slots. The first one is full speed apparently, the second shares lanes with sata 3 & 4. Doesn’t this mean that if I put the intel on the 2nd slot, it would still only be as fast as a regular sata connected SSD? That would be defeating the purpose of it being in a m.2 slot.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok, I see the mobo has 2 m.2 slots. The first one is full speed apparently, the second shares lanes with sata 3 & 4. Doesn’t this mean that if I put the intel on the 2nd slot, it would still only be as fast as a regular sata connected SSD? That would be defeating the purpose of it being in a m.2 slot.
I think they just missed the 250GB WD SN750 drive in your PcPartPicker list.

That being said, SSDs under the 500 GB range tend to be slower, so spring for a 500 GB version. Take a look here for some other options besides the SN750 (which tends to be priced as a premium product along with Samsung): https://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds

Concerning your Team SATA SSD, better drives with longer warranties like the Crucial MX500, WD Blue 3D, Sandisk Ultra 3D should be able to be had for not much more than the Team SSD.

Feb 4, 2009
@Phaetos above is correct, the included paste is “good enough”
If you want to seriously over clock premium pastes can make a tiny difference like 1 to 3 degrees Celsius.
I’m in the non over clocking camp, you really can’t over clock modern CPUs to a point where you notice a difference. Over clocking is really a hobby *no disrespect intended for our over clockers*

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
@Phaetos above is correct, the included paste is “good enough”
If you want to seriously over clock premium pastes can make a tiny difference like 1 to 3 degrees Celsius.
I’m in the non over clocking camp, you really can’t over clock modern CPUs to a point where you notice a difference. Over clocking is really a hobby *no disrespect intended for our over clockers*
In the same camp as well. That’s $4 saved. Haha.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Made a couple changes to the SSD options after reading the manual on the mobo, the 2nd M.2 slot disables sata3/4 and you get gen3x2 speeds on it.
Many M.2 slots can be PCIe OR SATA (supporting either), depending on the drives you use and available PCIe/SATA lanes. So from what you said it will steal SATA lanes if you put a SATA SSD in there. Likewise I've seen boards which steal PCIe lanes if you put an NVMe SSD in (it seems if you use "M2_1" you will lose "PCIE4" in this mobo, the second 'full length' x16 slot). But I just wanted to clarify it's likely not "gen3x2" speeds AND "disables sata3/4" (for M2_2).

But since both your SSDs are NVMe and both M.2 slots support PCIe I'd say you're fine. Both are Gen3 but one is x4 and one is x2 (half the potential bandwidth though it wont make real world difference), and also I assume "M2_1" (the x4 one) is connected straight to the CPU where the other comes from the chipset (adding latency which wont make real world difference). I'm sure, depending on the drive characteristics and usage, there's an optimal setup though... and probably outside the scope of this thread.

Last edited: