RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
Went to throw a new rig together. Here's the specs:

Tualatin Celeron 1.1A, stock HSF

Intel D815EAA2LU MoBo

1 x 256MB Corsair pc133 SDRAM

Antec True380 PSU

Put all this together on top of the MoBo box, plugged in a PS2 Keyboard and Mouse and monitor (monitor plugged in to onboard video). Plugged in ATX connector. Turned on PSU switch. Green light on MoBo came on and CPU fan started running by itself! Shorted out the "power-on" pins on the MoBo to startup CPU. Got NO video signal. No error beep from on board speaker.

Shut everything down, moved RAM to different slot. Same results, dead.

Tried a different stick of Corsair PC133 RAM. Dead.

Installed a spare AGP vid card (Radeon 8500LE) on MoBo. Tried again to boot. Dead.

Unplugged ATX connector. Removed CMOS battery. Waited about 5 minutes, installed battery and tried again. Nothing.

I don't have a spare CPU or MoBo to swap out.

CPU fan is plugged into "fan 1" header. It starts running the second the PSU is switched on. WTF?? This is the fan header that Intel is designating for the CPU. If I plug the fan into the "fan 2" header and try and turn on the board the fan doesnt even turn on.

Any ideas? This is the first "dead' one for me. I've had beepers before so I could at least start somewhere but this is a puzzler. "Always on" CPU fan bugs me.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
It may be set to start automatically after a power outage. What happens if you just let it run? And by "dead," do you mean there's no video, or no fan/drive activity, or not even the green LED on the motherboard?

edit: while we're at it, double-check that you've got the keyboard plug in the keyboard PS/2 port, the lower one.

SupermanCK

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2000
something is wack i say...double check all connections...refer to mobo to check all jumpers are on default...especially CMOS is short...also check your chasis connections
check PSU if it's on 115v not 220v
make sure everything is grounded...
:)

P4spooky

Feb 5, 2002
You may want to check processor compatibility. Looks like you need to have a certain revision of the board (HERE

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Sri

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
I've had the same problem several times with different mobos for a couple different reasons, though the unifying element seems to be that I suck... anyway:

1. read the manual. I had a dually board, put in 1 cpu, worked peachy keen... put in the second one... presto... exactly as you described (board powers on, but no video + no beeps) ... Stupid me, didn't remember to plug in the 12v connector to the MB (new fangled shiznit).

2. Last night I had the same problem (board powers on, but no video + no beeps) with a brand new p4 + new MB. I tried everything... ram, video, power supply... even tried changing cases. Finally I decided to check out the processor.... I reseated it...presto... works fine.

seems like the new mbs have f*cked up sockets that really take some tinkering to get the cpu to sit correctly.

regardless, it seems the power on + no video + no beeps, is indicative of a prob with the cpu...

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
Somethings wacky here. No matter what I do I get "board powers on when I turn on switch on PSU, green LED lit, CPU fan spinning, no beep, no video"

Looked at the Intel compatibility chart and I'm fine. Running BIOS version P15.

Checked all jumpers (there's not many, it's an Intel board) and everything is fine. Tried a different PSU, no luck. Took out the CMOS battery and left it out over night. No luck.

Took it back to where I got it from and they verified my problem. They put in an older Clereon they had around and it did the same thing. Tried another board. Same results! CPU powers on, LED on, no beep or video. They tried a PIII 600 and it worked?!? So we took to oppourtunity and flashed the BIOS with the latest version. Put my CPU back in and it worked the first time. Rebooted a few times and it worked. Left the CPU and RAM on the board, put it back in the bag and box, took it home tried to fire it up and it doesn't work again. Same symptoms as before. WTF?

Gamerguy68

Nov 7, 2002
It's a PCI card that diagnoses POST problems. Just seat it, and power up. Will display LED's that can be checked in the supplied user manual. Takes the guess work out of troubleshooting issues like this. I got mine at Startech