New build cabling/wiring confusion

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Corsair H100i-V1 AIO and 2 rad fans in an Asus Z170i Pro Gaming MB, and an Ncase M1 chassis/case(VERY small)...

I have 3 cables coming out of the CPU block.....

* Manual /Page 6 / says hardwired "Connect splitter/pump power header" from the CPU block to the PSU ( means the one that says "SATA Power"?) And the other connector - 3 pin pump RPM wire- to "any MB 3 or 4 pin header..." ? ... Ok, think I have this on a fan header...

*Also, page 8/ another Y cable(Corsair link USB cable) from the CPU block to MB usb header > Think I got this one...4 pin header on MB

*And... (page 7) "Y cable (L) to attach the 2 fans to the power header on the pump top....fans won't connect/both female.

Which fan headers on MB go to which cables? And... the 2 Corsair radiator fans... go to which MB headers.

Four year-old w/ bowl of pasta...

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I just happened to have an H100i sitting in the floor so I looked at the manual.

Look at page 1, in the bottom right corner you will see the "Y"-Cable (L).

You plug the two rad fans into the split end male connections on the Y-connector and the single end plugs into the pump head.

They are powered by the Sata connection on page 6.

This is how mine looked before I switched to an aircooler.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
The "3-pin pump / RPM wire" should not go to just any old mobo header. It MUST plug into the CPU_FAN header at top left of your mobo so that header gets the speed signal from your H100i system. THAT header specifically monitors the speed from your CPU cooler to ensure it is working, so it always should get only that signal.

The "Y cable / (Corsair link USB cable)" does not go to a "4-pin header on MB". It MUST go to a mobo USB2 header, and your mobo has only one of those, near the right edge by the SATA ports. This connection plus the Corsair Link software utility is how the Corsair software controls your H100i. Unfortunately, that may consume your mobo's only USB2 header.

As SithSolo1 said, the radiator fans both connect to a port on the pump module. To do that you must use one of the cables included with the H100i that has a small connector on one end for the pump end, and two 4-pin male outputs for your two fans. The H100i system actually comes with two of these adapter cables just in case you are using four fans with your radiator.

Don't forget to download the latest Corsair Link software utility from their website and install it so that it can do the monitoring and control functions it is designed for.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Thanks, folks....

Just barely started assembling the components...My God, this must be what pediatric surgery looks like...

I'm following the very long Ncase M1 thread at Hard Forums... helpful also. I'll see how tough the Corsair SF600 cables are to manipulate... some folks there got custom cables... thinking about this already.

To this point I have not bought any fan(s). The CPU will have the Corsair AIO, and the nVidia 1080-FE exits air out the case... so I'm not sure if I'll need a fan(s) but believe I will...

I KNOW I'll be back here w/ more problems/questions, so PLEASE check back so you can pull me out of the deep water in time...

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
lol.... now u see why i hate working in SFF's.
your lucky that case manufacturers now round the edges.
Before you'd come out with a few war scars from sharp edges, and having a band-aid + neosporene was recommended before starting all case builds.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
:)

If I have the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Corsair SF600 PS, the 1080-FE, and will set up the Corsair H100i V1 AIO to exhaust the air....

If I need a case fan, then which should I get and place it(them) where?

(just starting the assembly of the rig)...

Thx.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Yes, I'd suggest one or two intake fans. With your H100i mounted on the side panel, your options are fans 120mm or 92mm or 80 mm units mounted on the bottom panel, or one 92 or 80 mm unit mounted on the back. Which spaces are open depend on what other components (like HDD units) are being installed.

Your mobo has only two CHA_FAN headers for connecting case fans but that's plenty. They are also well designed: if you look at its manual on p. 2-36, Section 2.7.6, you will see that you can configure each header separately for PWM Mode (for 4-pin fans) or DC Mode (for 3-pin fans). Set that choice for each header according to the fan type you buy. Then I suggest you set the Chassis Fan Q-Fan Source option to "MB" so that those case fans are guided by the temperature sensor built into the mobo, and not by the one inside the CPU chip. (The CPU chip's internal sensor will guide the H100i cooling system.) Set the Chassis Fan Profiles to "Standard" so that the mobo will exercise automatic control of those fans according to temperatures inside your case. When you've made those changes in BIOS Setup, remember to SAVE and EXIT to make them take effect.

If you need more than two case fan connectors, you can use 4-pin splitters to connect two or three fans to each mobo CHA_FAN header. 3-pin splitters are getting hard to find, but the 4-pin ones work for both fan types.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Great replies, folks... appreciate the much needed help.

My only internal storage unit is a 1TB SSD. So, only components in the case are the MB, the Corsair H100i V1 AIO, the Corsair SF600 PS, the nVidia 1080-FE, and the SSD.

The AIO Corsair cooler's fans are exhausting out the side of the case? Then, you suggest 'intake' fan/s, and I like the idea of the back-mounted rather than at the bottom of the case. So, either a 92 or 80mm. The larger size I prefer, and I think should fit unless the hoses from the AIO are in the way.

Any specific suggestion for such fans? I want the best I can get in there.

As I begin to actually work inside the case I'll be better able to visualize all this. I don't even have the PSU out of it's box yet. I'm not getting this built faster because I have my current computer which is working fine. And, I'm somewhat avoiding the new build, as I know there will be much gnashing of teeth/swearing, etc. as I plod my way through.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
When I had my H100i installed, my fans were on the backside of the rad pulling air in from the side panel. Probably less than optimal but I wanted to maintain positive pressure in the case and it provide some addition airflow directly on the motherboard.

This was the 92mm fan I was originally looking at buying: http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a9x14-pwm

There might be better options out now but it was popular at the time. Notua has several other 92mm fans as well: http://noctua.at/en/products/fan

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
lol.... now u see why i hate working in SFF's.

The NCase M1 isn't really that bad at all, I can pull it apart and have it back together in no time at all, it's much easier to work with given the components in it than any of my other currently in use cases. The single thing I hate most while working with it is if I need to (forgot to before hand) plug in a connector of some kind or switch a jumper without have to tear it down, now that's a pain in the ass.

Any specific suggestion for such fans? I want the best I can get in there.

Are you asking about fans in general or fans to replace the ones that come with the Corsair? I'm using Cryorig QF120 Balance fans on the radiator, I really can't say enough good things about these. At low rpms they are dead silent, and can push some air as they crank up. I wish my Case Labs build was full of them, I can't say they are definitively "better" than any other fan someone may bring up, but on a price/performance/noise scale I've not used a better fan. As for your Corsair's wiring, unless you just want to use the Corsair software you only have to use the SATA power connection and the 3 pin coming off the pump. Of course doing so would require you to either have enough motherboard 3/4pin headers to power the fans or the use of a pwm splitter. You can hook up the USB2 connector temporarily to set it up and for future firmware upgrades, then toss it if you so desire. I run all my fans as intake, the case is so small and well ventilated on the top panel I'm counting on all the air to simply be pushed up and exhausted out the top. I don't know if this is more or less optimal than a bottom-intake, side-exhaust setup or not though. I don't believe you will be able to mount a 92mm fan at the back with the H100i there, I could be wrong, but it looks awfully tight there to me with a radiator and fans in place. Maybe if your fans/rad/tubing is oriented differently than mine, a very slight maybe, but absolutely not with the fans mounted to the bracket and the radiator mounted to them.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
The NCase M1 isn't really that bad at all, I can pull it apart and have it back together in no time at all, it's much easier to work with given the components in it than any of my other currently in use cases. The single thing I hate most while working with it is if I need to (forgot to before hand) plug in a connector of some kind or switch a jumper without have to tear it down, now that's a pain in the ass.

Ok, I take back what I said. :oops:

I just now got my NCase back together with the full custom loop in it (Had been running the H100i while waiting on parts I wanted). That was B.S. on a whole new level....:mad: The degree to which the tubing tried to thwart me at every turn was frustrating beyond belief, I had to try three different orientations for the block before one worked ok and even the radiator itself proved a stumbling block (just the slight amount it was longer and taller than the H100i was an issue) . However, assuming it does ok through leak testing, it's complete.

Looper, you're going to breeze through that H100i install comparatively.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Great posts, guys.

Some possibilities...
-2 Varder 120 mm fans on case bottom as 'intake'...
-The Corsair AIO exhausting/out thru radiator on side...
-I need exhaust/out 120 mm fan, and put it where? On rear/back of case, the biggest that will fit is only a 92 mm Noctua -and
friend said that fan won't be effective in my system as an exhaust. So, another spot for a 120 mm
as an exhaust/out fan?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
This is how mine looked before I switched to an aircooler.

I like how you snuck that tidbit in there :)

Unless you're doing a dedicated loop AIO's usually seem overly complicated to me. Some of the SwiftTecs can be expanded.

I might be a bit out of my usual area of comfortablity as far as cooling, but most AIO's in the smaller range seem to be like some of the older TEC coolers, and have used those in the past.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I think you are overthinking your fan situation.

You really just need to run two high pressure fans(Varder) on the rad as intake. Either in push(fans between bracket and rad) or pull(fans on back side of rad facing cpu block). Pull makes it easier to install the rad but may give slight worse temps. You don't need anymore fans than that.

You will be running a positive pressure system but you still need to filter the rad intake panel and PSU(if its drawing air directly from a panel and not the inside. You can filter the bottom but dust intake from the GPU on mine has been minimal.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
I've been busy lately, so all the components are still all over our dining room table w/wife begging me to get the build done and over with...

Trying to finalize case fans decision...

*2 Noctua NF-F12's for bottom of case (intake)

*2 Noctua NF-F12's to replace the Corsair fans on my H100i V1 AIO (exhaust), OR instead, get the Vardar F4-120ER's for my AIO?

*For the rear of the case, I want a 92 mm (as exhaust) fan... Is the NoctuaNF-B9x14 PWM (38 CFM) the only option there? I was hoping for something stronger for the rear exhaust fan...

The rig is: M1, Asus Pro Gaming, i7-6700k, 1 SSD, 1080-FE, and Corsair SF600 PSU...

Last edited:

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I've been busy lately, so all the components are still all over our dining room table w/wife begging me to get the build done and over with...

Trying to finalize case fans decision...

*2 Noctua NF-F12's for bottom of case (intake)

*2 Noctua NF-F12's to replace the Corsair fans on my H100i V1 AIO (exhaust), OR instead, get the Vardar F4-120ER's for my AIO?

*For the rear of the case, I want a 92 mm (as exhaust) fan... Is the NoctuaNF-B9x14 PWM (38 CFM) the only option there? I was hoping for something stronger for the rear exhaust fan...

The rig is: M1, Asus Pro Gaming, i7-6700k, 1 SSD, 1080-FE, and Corsair SF600 PSU...

From what reviews of them I've read the Varders are about the best all around radiator fans you can get. I indicated in a post above I will be wildly surprised if you are able to fit a 92mm fan in the rear with the radiator in place. Even if you manage to fit one it will be a ridiculously slim version and will do virtually nothing to aid in system cooling, it will simply be a noise maker and it's a waste of money.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Thanks.

Concerning the rear 92 mm, nearly everything I've read the last two days has stated the same thing.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Tomm (Monday) is a day off for me... SO, 7am to Panera Bread for bagel/coffee, then home and I WILL get to it....

I've only mounted the SSD to outside/front of case frame. (all panels removed), and put the H100i V1 AIO block on the CPU w/ the MB outside the case to be sure it fit correctly. (it actually didn't fit because the V1 AIO did NOT have the right motherboard mounting bracket (had to take it from the V2 AIO, which I had purchased as well).

Tomm, will disconnect AIO from MB, put MB in the case just to judge the fit, etc. Then with the MB in the case, I'll mount the Corsair SF600 and it's cables in the case (think this will be the biggest horror, and I may possibly replace the Corsair cables w/ custom...not sure yet). Which direction should the PSU face in the case? Then, try to mount the AIO radiator to the side panel w/ stock fans (exhaust out) just to see how it fits. (but I will replace those prob with 2 Vardar 120 mm fans.) . I will also get 2 Noctua 120 mm fans as (intake) on the bottom of case. (I need to order these 4 fans tomm).

I'll be drinking lots of coffee tomm and swearing I'm quite sure... but it will be fun, I keep telling myself....

Last edited:

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Vardar F3-120 mm/63cfm/29dBA max ... OR ... Vardar F4-120 mm/ at 77cfm/33dBA max for my 2 fans on AIO rad?

The 2 120 mm intake fans at case bottom will be Noctua NF-F12's/ at 56cfm/23dBA max.

Thoughts...

Last edited:

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Got 2 Vardar F4-120ER's for exhaust on the Corsair H100i V1 AIO and 2 Noctua NF-F12's for case bottom intake.

I had to clean some original, poorly done thermal paste on the AIO cpu block and some got on the cpu as well when I first tried out the fit... I have some quality Gelid paste I'll be using.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Last night I attempted to switch positions of the M1 case badge with the power outlet connector plug on the back of the case in order to make room for the rad and fans going in that area.

I got the badge off removing the 2 screws, and then 1 of the screws holding the power outlet plug came off but the other one was in SUPER tight, and as I tried to loosen it w/ my Phillips screwdriver I stripped the head!!! Oh boy!

How do I get that screw out?

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
If that screw's head is above the level of the surrounding metal (i.e, mot a countersunk), you can grab it firmly with a pair of Vise-Grip pliers and turn it.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
If you havent gotten it out yet can you take a photo of the head so we know how bad it is stripped?

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Finally, got it out yesterday... TOUGH. I ended up having to drill it out.

Now I can get to building the new rig.. Oops, the US Open tennis tournament just started... there goes the next 2 weeks' free time...