• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question New build: 5600X for 1440p gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Perhaps you are the one that should learn to read. The 3080 was the GPU level being talked about here and the CPU being talked about here was the 5600x and then you chimed in and said the 3600 would be your suggestion. And I told you that would be more of a bottleneck and then you argue about it. Well it's clear I found the most annoying and oblivious person on the forums.
HAHAHAHAhahaha... oh... oh no. I don't think so. I mean you guys are talking right past each other but no, you could do worse.

@Zstream the OP is talking about getting a 3080 class GPU, so he's already heavily investing in that. I get what you are saying about not overspending on the CPU and ending up with big step down in the GPU but I don't think it's particularly relevant here. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Rigg

Ricky T

Oct 31, 2020
You replied to my post multiple times clearly stating 3600 + 3070. I'm done arguing with you. Good luck on your hunt for new gear.
I never said anything about that combination. That was all you. When I originally quoted you, you were talking about getting a 3600 for the CPU when the topic was about putting a 5600x with a 3080 level GPU. Again I told you that would be more of a bottleneck and then you argued about it. And I'm not hunting for new gear at all which again shows that you can't pay attention to what is even going on around here.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
*snip*
The Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AX ATX is not yet available anywhere...
Looks like that's an ITX board.

Just curious, why that MOBO vs any of the other AMD options out right now?

From a quick glance, it looks similar to Gigabytes own X570 ITX at a similar $200 price.

Rigg

May 6, 2020

From a quick glance, it looks similar to Gigabytes own X570 ITX at a similar $200 price.
I agree. I'd go as far to say that I would not choose any B550 ITX board over it's X570 counterpart. The one exception might be the cheap AsRock board. Even then it would have to be for a low power build where the price is the main appeal. All the others are too close in price to the X570s to justify their existence IMHO.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
I agree. I'd go as far to say that I would not choose any B550 ITX board over it's X570 counterpart. The one exception might be the cheap AsRock board. Even then it would have to be for a low power build where the price is the main appeal. All the others are too close in price to the X570s to justify their existence IMHO.
Isn't it the lack of chipset fan? It's less a choice of price/features as it is features/noise, was my understanding.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Isn't it the lack of chipset fan? It's less a choice of price/features as it is features/noise, was my understanding.
And the chipset? 550's use a gen3 link on the chipset. I suppose that's better than the previous gen which was gen2 lol.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about. We have enough reviews out there and in fact those reviews even all mention how the 3080 is held back quite a bit at just 1440p and that is with the top of the line CPUs. You saying there's no problem for you doesn't change the actual facts. Perhaps run your own benchmarks with your CPU and then a 10900k and get back to me.
Links?

Bobsy

Jan 5, 2010
@Bobsy
Realistically-speaking, the 5600X looks like a solid 4.6-4.7 GHz all-core OC on a good cooler, which is what I would shoot for if I wanted high-refresh gaming today. Unless you're just allergic to OC, in which case just run stock. It should be fine.
I am picking the 5600X over the i5-10600K essentially because of the better power efficiency, since both CPUs would give me the same performance (more or less). If I OC, based on what I've seen, I would bring the power consumption of the 5600X up to the level of the i5 with only a small bump in performance.

Bobsy

Jan 5, 2010
There is indeed a "Pro AX" B550 ITX board from Gigabyte, but an ATX-sized board of the same family is also coming to market very soon. (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10#kf)
It's an updated version of the Pro AC with these two improvements:
1. improved onboard wifi, having the Intel AX200 wifi module and BT 5.0 (same as ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming), and
2. internal type-C header
When compared with the aforementioned ASUS board, the Gigabyte has better fan management, more fan headers, and more RGB headers.
The X570 boards have aged a bit. Most of them have 1 Gbps LAN whereas B550 boards have 2.5 Gbps. It's little things like that (including the slightly lower price) that steer me in the general direction of B550.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
There is indeed a "Pro AX" B550 ITX board from Gigabyte, but an ATX-sized board of the same family is also coming to market very soon. (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10#kf)
It's an updated version of the Pro AC with these two improvements:
1. improved onboard wifi, having the Intel AX200 wifi module and BT 5.0 (same as ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming), and
2. internal type-C header
When compared with the aforementioned ASUS board, the Gigabyte has better fan management, more fan headers, and more RGB headers.
The X570 boards have aged a bit. Most of them have 1 Gbps LAN whereas B550 boards have 2.5 Gbps. It's little things like that (including the slightly lower price) that steer me in the general direction of B550.
Aha, interesting...

Thank you for the useful information.

I don't suppose you know the estimated MSRP?

A board like this would be pretty exciting at $150.

Bobsy

Jan 5, 2010
I don't suppose you know the estimated MSRP?
A board like this would be pretty exciting at $150.
It would be for sure! But considering that the B550 AORUS PRO AC retails for 175 USD right now, I estimate that the AX version will retail for at least 15-20 USD more. That's based on a preliminary listing I found on an Australian website for this new board. Not sure about MSRP though.

ASK THE COMMUNITY