jime1

Feb 22, 2015
Hello Brothers,

I currently have wireless broadband, which is very unstable.
So I'm thinking about getting a new cable(DSL or coax/fiber cable) broadband connection.
I assume you guys have experience in both the cases, So I want your precious advice on whether should I get the DSL or cable connection...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
IMHO, a fixed wireline connection is preferable to a wireless broadband connection, even if the "max" connection rate is lower. It's just so much more stable, and lower-latency (if your provider is any good.)

I currently have FIOS, Comcast, and Sprint. Sprint (2-8Mbit/sec down) causes my downloads to error out constantly in the middle. Comcast (10/1) is slower than FIOS, but downloads are at least stable. FIOS (60/60) is much faster, but I might be getting rid of it, because it's nearly $90/mo.

Edit: If the choice is between DSL and cable, and the price isn't too different, or too high for the cable, I would probably pick cable. DSL is just way too limited these days, UNLESS it's a VDSL deployment, with fiber-to-the-curb. (Traditional DSL maxes out at 3Mbit/sec for ADSL, and 7Mbit/sec for newer DSL technologies. Whereas, with Docsis 3.0 cable, the sky is practically the limit. (100Mbit/sec download is no problem for cable. Upload is still kind of low, though.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jime1

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
echo VL.

I have Comcast internet because DSL in my area is barely usable. So, more details needed to help you out. Which providers and solutions are you choosing from?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The actual services can Grossly vary between ISPs and geographical locations.

That said, in general.

1. Cable or FIOS (whichever is faster for the price).

2. DSL

3. Wireless

:cool:

Reactions: jime1

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
In addition, if you are going to get cable, buy the modem yourself. Find out from the ISP what the max # of channels they support and buy that modem. The more channels, the less chance of slowdown during busy times.

When getting DSL, if it is unstable at say 6mbps speeds, you'll want to place that modem as close to the POT (point of termination) of your phone. In fact if you can get to the POT, you will want to install just one DSL filter there instead of several throughout your home. Otherwise your only other option is to lower your speed.

jime1

Feb 22, 2015
Alright !!

Got the Fiber BB from Local Fiber Broadband Provider.
Its a single fiber cable, which is plugged in the TX port of the media converter.
(The media convertor has only one port open i.e. TX port, Although it has the space and label of RX port, its closed)
I got the 2 Mbps plan, speed for browsing is excellent !
tasty.gif
Its just amazing I would say ....
The download speed is not stable, but that does not bother me.

The ping latency is very low, but I get RTOs very frequently
confused2.gif
Even though, I haven't got kicked while playing online !!
g.gif

Should I be bothered ??
rolleyes.gif

Fiber_Ping.jpg