New BOINC-project launched, the BBC/Climateprediction "Climate Change Experiment".

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Your points are well taken RD

I agree that virus scanners, BOINC client, zone alarm, concurrent processes, etc. can set up situations that can cause incompatibilities to present themselves.... However, this is a VERY different point of focus than 'stability'.

I take the an approach of demanding any software application to remain sensitive to the fact that it is their responsibility to write code robust and compatible enough to deal with a Windows environment of a working computer. merly running on a test bed as an isolated and protected application is simply not acceptable quality assurance for the real world.

I believe this is the affliction from which this project may be suffering in it's infancy. I will continue to do what I can to help it along, but the bottom line is that if they can't run on a system that is used for work beyond crunching, it isn't ready for my machines.

-Sid

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
i'm with you on that Sid. thats one of thereasons i stopped f@h on my main rig. it doesn't really use "background cycles" if i can't play games with it still running. boinc has never beeen a problem. i leave 2x boinc running constantly no matter the game- cod2, q4, bf2, civ4 etc, etc.

well, lets hope you have a wu that will cooperate.

btw, are you running 2 gigs or 1 in your machines?

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Thanks Rise! I really would like to finish one of these. :cool:

I've got 2G in each of my PCs. I never turn off my DC (2x) either. I was fortunate with F@H and didn't have any resource issues that I noticed when we gamed on my Socket-A systems. I haven't run it since I upgraded to the X2s though.

:beer: to 160 years! :D

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
Anyone ever heard of "Global Dimming"?
Just been watching a BBC Horizon programme about it.
Seems like right now it's countering the effects of Global Warming.

"NARRATOR: At this point, whatever we did to curb our emissions, it would be too late. Ten thousand billion tons of methane, a greenhouse gas eight times stronger than carbon dioxide, would be released into the atmosphere. The Earth's climate would be spinning out of control, heading towards temperatures unseen in four billion years. But this is not a prediction - it is a warning. It is what will happen if we clean up pollution while doing nothing about greenhouse gases. However, the easy solution - just keep on polluting and hope that Global Dimming will protect us - would be suicidal."

Transcript can be found here

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Where would all that Methane come from?
I know some comes from cattle etc but surely not that much!? ;)

Originally posted by: rise4310
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Re Prime 95 testing ,the maker says that to be really sure of stabilty to run it for 24hrs!:Q ,can't say I've ever done that ,usually stop it at about 16 hrs ;)

24:30 :p

i think they also say to run it on priority 10 which will pretty much make even opening and closing a window painfully slow.

No you don't need to do that ,even the programmer says the default priority is fine ,AFAIK it's just some thread in the MSI forum that says it should be raised ,well their wrong :p

Hi Sid
Yea I wasn't saying that you hadn't tested it enough or that it wasn't the client ,I was just elaborating on testing with P95 :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
This is the crux of the problem. While the greenhouse effect has been warming the planet, it now seems Global Dimming has been cooling it down. So the warming caused by carbon dioxide has been hidden from us by the cooling from air pollution. But that situation is now starting to change.

Man that doesn't sound good :(........

Answer to my question ;)

We will be in danger of destabilising these things called methane hydrates which store a lot of methane at the bottom of the ocean in a kind of frozen form, ten thousand billions tons of this stuff, and they're known to be destabilised by warming.

Well I hope CERN make good progress with Nuclear fusion generators ,we need it!.
Fission is too 'dirty' for long term use but it sounds more & more as if we'll have to make more use of that in the short term.....
Not to mention switching to Hydrogen for our cars etc ,even if we do lose ~1/3 the power:(

Thanks for that Andy ,very interesting :),Horizon do many interesting programs (even if thier Atkins diet program was a joke!:frown: ).
And no I hadn't heard of global dimming btw.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: caferace
BBC CCE crashed out on me last night at just under 200 hours. :| Grrrr.
jeesh, that stinks man. i feel like i'm on borrowed time. i'm at 194 hours right now, may, 1937.

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
I said "Hell No". I kind of hated to, but I have TAS work to do and dedicating the fastest box to something that from all accounts appears flakey pissed me of. I *really* wanted it to work, but...

For the record, it did croak after a suspend (remove from memory) I did. That same box (FX-55) is back on E@H and SIMAP. It eats SIMAP WU's like I crunch Altoids. :D

-jim

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
BBC CCE crashed out on me last night at just under 200 hours. :| Grrrr.
jeesh, that stinks man. i feel like i'm on borrowed time. i'm at 194 hours right now, may, 1937.

This is like the lottery...... who will be next :confused:

-Sid

(I see that mine did benchmarks through the night, so I've survived one suspension... (only have to do it..... about 16 more times :disgust: ( @5 days) )

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
All my crunchers are - as yet - crunching on well; as dedicated computers, no other projects running. Benchmarking without problems. Stay in memory:

A64 3000+: April 1938, 2.36 sec/timestep
P4 2.8GHz, HT: Sept. 1926 and May 1926, 3.79 sec/timestep

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
I was bummed, because I was at ~1.95 sec/timestep and falling. But, the FX-55 box deserves to go into "other modes" (Bang, screech, whoosh, boom, etc) every so often. :)

BTW, today wasn't "bad" for me from s stats perspective:

best five days
Date Credit
2006-02-27 2,903
2006-02-23 1,688
2006-02-13 1,602
2006-02-15 1,561
2006-02-17 1,524

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
ok, a dumb question (again); where are you seeing the time step in the bbc wu? i see it in the regular but no the bbc one.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
when I hit Z, it clears the menu and then I can see the timestep on the graphic.

(still crunching, sharing with Rosetta (one core each).... :thumbsup: )

-Sid

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
sweet, thanks Sid :)

what do you do randomly hit buttons to find this stuff or am i that blind :p

anyway, down to a 1.67 ts :beer:

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
I think last I looked, I was around 1.88/TS (this project got relegated to my'slow' machine with the crashes and all ;) )

-Sid

Rise, someone told me about the Z thing.... I think it was Peter :beer:

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
ctrl-H in screen saver mode brings up a list of commands.
jebus, i must have looked there a dozen times :eek:

sid, for all the wu's that crapped out on ya, you still have some nice production :beer:

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
ctrl-H in screen saver mode brings up a list of commands.
jebus, i must have looked there a dozen times :eek:

sid, for all the wu's that crapped out on ya, you still have some nice production :beer:

LOL

Crunching Rosetta in those early weeks made me a VERY good babysitter! :D

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Crunching Rosetta in those early weeks made me a VERY good babysitter!
lol

yeah, dark days those were :) and TAS picked it as our monthly project back then :Q

sick bastards :p

actually, i think peter and mrwizer had ironed out alot of the problems by then, for me anyway.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Happily, Rosetta has been doing GREAT for me lately.

It's been hands-off, crunchin' like a wild thang for a few weeks now! :thumbsup:

-Sid

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
i'll hop back into rosetta when i finish one of these bad boys :p

btw, wth?? wasn't the TeAm in like 4th place in bbc cpdn before? i was just looking and we're now 13th iirc :(