New Belkin pci card with connection issues (to router)

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Old Setup: Belkin Router (b&g) to Linksys wireless-B USB adapter.
This worked for a long time but was fairly slow and, as you know, has weaker security.

New Setup: Same router and new Belkin PCI adapter. (F5D7000 Version 7)

Problem: New setup worked for a bit, but then kept dropping the connection and re-establishing it. I unchecked all the "search for/use any...use strongest/any available" settings and only had my router as the one to connect to. After that I get Acquiring Network Address and it never resolves, or it will resolve for a few minutes and then cycle through it again. (but I can connect to the router and use admin settings though the 198.168.1.1 address)

I stopped the Belkin utility that came with it and tried to use XP to manage it, same problem. I have yet to change from WEP security because I just wanted to see if this thing worked first, so I haven't made any changes on the router end. WTF

I also unplugged my old USB b device and disabled it in network settings. (well, tried both actually) I also did restarts on my comp/router, ipconfig release crap through the command window, tried everything so now I need some outside opinions.

Bottom Line: I left it alone last night and this morning, come back to Acquiring Network Address, for the last 17 hours. Any help?

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Thanks Jack, but the network "sort of" works, its the continual cycling and acquiring that is the problem. I get 4x the connection speed over my "b" adapter, so range or connection doesn't seem to be the problem.

Yes, I did look through the links you provided but they are not what I am looking for.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The PCI adapter - where is the antenna located/oriented? The routers antennas - where and how are the antennas located/oriented? There are very weak spots with omni-directional anteannas, these are on the same vertical line as the antenna. So if the antenna is pointing up then the weak area is directely above and below the antenna. About the worst thing you can do is having the antennas of the AP and client pointed directly at each other.

Apart from that I'd try the latest drivers for the wireless card. Or you could have a conflict between the belkin utility and XP - so use the client and disable the "let windows manage wireless" checkbox in the network control panel for the adapter.

Also try removing any security for testing purposes. Most of the times if you can't get an IP address it is encryption/security related.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: spidey07
The PCI adapter - where is the antenna located/oriented? The routers antennas - where and how are the antennas located/oriented? There are very weak spots with omni-directional anteannas, these are on the same vertical line as the antenna. So if the antenna is pointing up then the weak area is directely above and below the antenna. About the worst thing you can do is having the antennas of the AP and client pointed directly at each other.

Apart from that I'd try the latest drivers for the wireless card. Or you could have a conflict between the belkin utility and XP - so use the client and disable the "let windows manage wireless" checkbox in the network control panel for the adapter.

Also try removing any security for testing purposes. Most of the times if you can't get an IP address it is encryption/security related.

Connection has four bars and in the 40Mb zone most of the time. (Router is downstairs, diagonally at about 45deg and ~40ft away.)

I went to the belkin site and they don't have my card listed, Version 6 is the latest they show.

And, like I said, I can get an IP sometimes but within a minute or so it seems to cycle itself. It's like the adapter is set to cycle and look for connections at a set interval. I think I need to call belkin to get to the bottom of this...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That still tells me you are losing layer1 link (meaning you are no longer associated to the access point). Could very well be inteferrance, could be drivers, could be windows and the belkin utility "fighting" with each other. Once you are associated to an access point it should "stick" to that access point - this is all controlled by the drivers and the client.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
That still tells me you are losing layer1 link (meaning you are no longer associated to the access point). Could very well be inteferrance, could be drivers, could be windows and the belkin utility "fighting" with each other. Once you are associated to an access point it should "stick" to that access point - this is all controlled by the drivers and the client.

I thought it might be the belkin utility and windows clashing. The first thing I did was try and remove the utility but it removes everything, drivers and all. I hate being forced to install these frick'n utilities when I know how to do it myself and don't need an extra program installed that I don't want.

Thanks for all the help, I am just going to call belkin when I get a chance. If they can give me the drivers only and it works, well then great. If not, RMA please.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Just my .02...

Those utilities are MUCH better than built in windows support for wireless. And by much, I mean lightyears.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Just my .02...

Those utilities are MUCH better than built in windows support for wireless. And by much, I mean lightyears.

Really? I didn't realize that. I thought as long as you had the appropriate drivers, setting up the connection through XP was better.

I guess it's like windows defrag vs. Diskeeper huh?

...btw, I think I may scrap the whole heap and go pre-n or n, whatever the hell it is. LOL
EDIT:
preN Routers are just mediocre 802.11g units unless you buy the expensive matching preN card. If you have a laptop or other computers with pre-installed 802.11g cards, there is No benefit from a preN Wireless Router.

I rather buy a good 802.11g for less than $40, and "Ditch" it later, instead of spending $100 for the Router, and close to $100 for every additional card, that would be obsolete in short period of time when the 802.11n standard comes out.

...nevermind.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Finally spoke to tech support, RMA.

Amazing how bad their tech support is though. I kept telling them that I had a good signal but it kept renewing my IP, well, dropping it and then I had to acquire a new one. They kept on saying "so, you keep losing the internet?" No, I know right where the internet is, it's on the other end of my router waiting for my wireless card to get another IP from the router.

No matter how many times I explained the problem both he, and the tier 2 guy kept saying the same thing. I never had a bad signal to the router, (always 4-5 bars; or more than 20Mbps signal) the adapter kept renewing itself.

Arrrgghhhh! I could hear the guy flipping through his book trying to find the symptom and what his reply was supposed to be.

EDIT: The b adapter works fine, and when I hardwire the router it works fine, so I know it's not the router.