New ATI Catalyst 2.4 drivers

Metalloid

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I just downloaded these. Not sure how they work yet, but I have heard good things. Post your results if you try them.
Rage 3D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Downloading now. :)

Umm, have u noticed your post count? You be freaking me out! :D

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Cool. Downloading right now, will install when I get home from work tonight.

Hmm....just think, if they can actually boost/keep boosting performance of the 9700 cards...can you say wicked sick?? :D

Oct 16, 1999
Grabbed this of warp2search.net, it's a little more detailed than the link posted at the top. Sounds pretty impressive, looks like ATI is firmly on the ball as far as their drivers.

ATI today is hosting the latest installment of their feature rich and well received Catalyst driver suite. Among the long list of fixes in this driver release are as main highlights:

CodeCreatures score is improved by 20% at 4X AA for 9700 series products
NASCAR 2002 framerate is up as much as 18% across the entire Radeon products line
NHL 2002 performance is up as much as 35% across the entire product line (largest gains on Radeon 7500/8500)
Performance on legacy (DX6 and DX7) apps is improved by as much as 15% for Radeon 9700 series products
Read more...

The Catalyst software suite is designed to support the following ATI desktop product family:

Radeon 9700 series
Radeon 9500 series
Radeon 9000 series
Radeon 8500 series
Radeon 7500 series
Radeon 7200 series
Radeon 7000 series
Additional Features:

Users can easily override refresh rate limitation imposed by both Windows 2000 and Windows XP, which limits the default refresh rate to 60 HZ when applications are run at a different resolution than the resolution of your desktop. Currently users are only able to override the refresh rate for DirectX applications, a future driver release will allow users to override the refresh rate for OpenGL applications as well.
To access the override navigate as follows: Bring up the ATI Control Panel and selected the Displays Tab. Click on Monitor tab and you will see a new DirectX Override Refresh Rate (ATI recommends selecting the ?Same As Desktop? setting) tab.
Catalyst 02.4 gives provides users with a new level of stability using SmartGart 2. SmartGart 2 gives users access to both the basic and advanced functionality through two control panel pages:
The Advanced control panel can be accessed by using the Start -> Run -> command then typing "SmartGart".
The basic SmartGart control panel can be easily accessed through the ATI control panel.
The Catalyst 02.4 driver also offers customer-setting options for formats supported by YPrPb monitors/TVs. Televisions are typically over scanned (i.e., the actual image goes marginally outside of the normal viewing area of the display). Selecting an Optimized Format will compensate for this over scanning, for the chosen format, and allow the entire desktop to fit the viewing area.
Issues Resolved:

The Details page now reports the correct AGP data transfer rate and video memory type
When extended desktop is enabled, the default display setting is no longer 640x480 @ 8 Bit bpp.
End-users are now able to un-install the display driver without requiring an ATI graphics accelerator installed in their system
The TV image is no longer over scanned on TV screens when Component Vide Output is connected to ATI a Radeon 8500 product
Descent 3 no longer displays corruption in sky on a ATI Radeon 8500 under Windows 2000
Myth 3 no longer suffers from speckling artifacts and missing triangles on the swords on a ATI Radeon 8500 under Windows 2000
Tribes no longer suffers from corrupt textures and checkerboard effects on a ATI Radeon 9700 under Windows 2000
The game Aquanox no longer displays corruption when run in the 640x480 mode on a ATI Radeon 7000 graphic card under Windows ME
The right red energize bar and the left damage status squares are no longer missing in the game Ballistic on an ATI Radeon 7000 graphic card under Windows ME
Enabling all options in No One Lives Forever 2 and restarting the game no longer results in characters missing triangles
Trilinear option is now available in Serious Sam SE
This driver fixes a lock-up problem, which was evident under certain circumstances for the following games:
Spring Break
Lord of The Rings
Medieval Total War
Icewind Dale II
Sponge Bob 2
Robin Hood
Known Issues:

Need For Speed 2 may potentially hang in very high detail levels. ATI recommends turning down the World Details and Special Effects options down one notch to avoid hangs. A fix will be delivered in a future Catalyst release.

Metalloid

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Hey, I am up to 667 now. A much nicer number than 666.

Actually, about a half an hour after getting these drivers, I just absolutely had to download the DirectX 9 beta version and the drivers that go with it off of ATI's site. They also have 4 great DirectX 9 demo's on there to look at. Don't know how DX9 and these drivers work in games so far, but I will post any problems, as there are supposedly quite a few bugs.

DirectX 9

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
Yeah, I'm using the DX9 drivers for the 9500/9700 released yesterday, they work fine in all games so far... Anybody tried these and the DX9 ones? Is anything different?

The DX9 drivers work fine in all my games, and are actually a newer version than these (6228 vs. 6200), so I think I'll keep them. Plus they let me run those cool demos to impress my friends... ;)

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Spicedaddy
Yeah, I'm using the DX9 drivers for the 9500/9700 released yesterday, they work fine in all games so far... Anybody tried these and the DX9 ones? Is anything different?

The DX9 drivers work fine in all my games, and are actually a newer version than these (6228 vs. 6200), so I think I'll keep them. Plus they let me run those cool demos to impress my friends... ;)

Where did you get the Dx9 drivers?? Are they in BETA phase now??

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
Now i get to laugh at all the suckers that didnt stick with ATI and sold their cards thinking that ATI couldn't get its driver act together. With these new drivers and the innate ablity for the 9700 pros to OC (i got mine 370/325 *so far*) alot of people are going to be kicking themselves for running like little girly-men to Nvidia when things got a bit rough.

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
Originally posted by: pillage2001
Originally posted by: Spicedaddy

Where did you get the Dx9 drivers?? Are they in BETA phase now??

http://www.ati.com/products/pc/catalyst/dx9demos.html

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
I installed the 6200 series of drivers. I ran the HardOCP UT2003 benchmark program and heres what I came up with in short:

At 1280X1024 High detail. 85Hz, 4X AA, 8X AF Performance, Texture Pre: Quality, Mitmap: Quality in the driver settings.

LOW FPS across the board was lowered. Average FPS across the board was lower 5-6FPS lower. High FPS across the board was higher. And there were some huge higher numbers which makes me think that something is weird in the test. On average the high FPS went up 100+ FPS.

3DMARK2001 Score remained unchanged at 1024X768 with above settings in drivers.
I had Codecreatures installed, but never bothered to run the test before hand so no comparison there.

Re-ran the UT2003 benchmark from HardOCP. Got about the same results, some went up a few numbers, etc. Doesnt seem to produce very consistant scores, but most of the really radical ones were in the High FPS category. I might try the 6228's that were mentioned.

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Originally posted by: DieHardware
The 2.4s seem to perform better than the 2.3s on my rig. :)

Same here, using Win98SE, and Rallisport doesn't stutter any more! Luving it! :)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

:(
Damn, and I had such high hopes for these drivers.

The Good
-Much faster performance across the board at 1792 x 1344.
-Faster performance in CFS1 and CFS2.
-Slight performance gains (1%-2%) in most situations.
-Missing textures fixed in Rogue Squadron 3D.

No Change Over 2.3s
-CFS3 hard locks a few seconds after startup.
-Extremely laggy mouse movement in NOLF even though the actual game is smooth.

New Problems
-UT hard locks on startup.
-Running any Quake II demo kicks me back to the desktop.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
i just upgraded the drivers on my uncle's comp
now you can't read any of the text in UT
i tryed both d3d and opengl mode
it plays UT2003 fine
but i told him i just don't feel like downgrading his drivers and installing the older working ones
too much freaking work
new drivers aren't supposed to break things
if he wants games to work then he'll have to learn how to install his own drivers

ATI's drivers are still dirt as far as i'm concerned

long live nvidia !!!!!!

maybe ati can take any money they made off their R300 and double their driver developement employees

just rambling........
--Soul_keeper

Stremik

Jan 27, 2002
I installed this new driver and I wsn't able to start my comp!
In Windows 2000 right after it sayes "Loading your personal settings" screen goes black and that's it!
I downgraded to a previous version and all worked.
Tried to start the DirectX control panel and it sayed that some files are missing.
What is going on?

Metalloid

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Ehh I'm not sure I want DirectX 9 beta and the ATI drivers for it anymore. Anyone know how to uninstall directx 9 and put 8.1 back on?

I am also having problems with RTCW and UT 2K3 locking up or rebooting on its own, but I believe this is due to my KR7A, as there have been reports of this combo acting funny on rage3d.com.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Strange, UT is working fine for me.
Are you running the latest OpenGL renderer with the large textures?

Anyone know how to uninstall directx 9 and put 8.1 back on?
Reinstall Windows. You might also be able to use system restore.

Idoxash

Apr 30, 2001
"I installed this new driver and I wsn't able to start my comp!
In Windows 2000 right after it sayes "Loading your personal settings" screen goes black and that's it!
I downgraded to a previous version and all worked.
Tried to start the DirectX control panel and it sayed that some files are missing.
What is going on?"

You could say the same thing happen to me....

I installed XP home onto my computer and then sp1.... after that i went to install the new ati 2.4 drivers and on the boot screen with the lill green bar it stops and would not go in.... i let it set for 10 mins restart happen again.... then i start xp at the last best working settings and it works i got into xp but i was unable to uninstall the 2.4 drivers and well they still never worked anyways...

this was done on my intel PIII 1266, with intel board and there 815chipset with a pci rad 7000 card, and yes the onboard vid was disable and nothing was oc/ed...

Idoxash

Metalloid

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Reinstall Windows. You might also be able to use system restore.[/quote]

Oh, well I guess I get to start backing up my saved games and reformat.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Metalloid15
Reinstall Windows. You might also be able to use system restore.

Oh, well I guess I get to start backing up my saved games and reformat.[/quote]

Yeah, heh. Not to mention your settings, files and work!

DieHardware

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Strange, UT is working fine for me.

2.4s working fine for me with my 8500LE flashed the the Gigabyte retail 8500 BIOS, MSI KT3 U2, XP1800. No other problems with these 2.4s(NOT BETA) with any other game I've tried.