New ATI cards support 16-bit color in Linux?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I need to use programs that display in 16-bit color mode. The latest drivers in ATI's OpenSuse 11 repository for my x1950 state in the readme that it only supports 24-bit color. As such, none of my programs that require 16-bit color mode work (have tried). Does this problem exist on the HD48X0 line?

Also, I have to disable desktop effects on my ATI card currently because if they are enabled, the browser / certain programs become choppy / extremely laggy when trying to move the windows, resize them, or scroll. Does this occur on the new 48x0 line as well when Desktop Effects are enabled?

Thanks

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Sounds like a driver limitation... someone on the Linux driver team got sloppy. Even the most expensive of high end video cards continue to be backwards compatible all the way down to 320x240 with 16 colors for DOS mode.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
it might be easier to replace / modify the program then it is to get drivers to work... is it an open source program? what program is it?
Try posting in that program's forum, maybe someone there has a solution.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Foxery
Sounds like a driver limitation... someone on the Linux driver team got sloppy.
Yeh, its driver for sure. They work fine in my XP install. I was trying to pick my next GPU maker for my new rig and I wanted good Linux support.

They were mainly closed source games emulated via WINE, I just bit the bullet and ordered parts for a new system. Bought an nVidia GPU since the 7900GS from nVidia in my laptop does not have any problems in Linux.

nForce3 Ultra Socket 939
Athlon64 4000+
2gb Corsair XMS PC3200
ATI x1950 Pro AGP

To:
Intel Q9450 Quad Core
Asus P5Q Pro (Intel P45 chipset)
4gb OCZ 1066 DDR2 (2x2gb)
EVGA / nVidia GTX260 (factory overclocked edition)

Keeping:
Lian-Li Metalbone K7
Antec neoHE 550 watt modular PSU
Samsung SpinPoint F1 7200RPM 750gb
SB Audigy 2 ZS

Spent the past year fighting ATI Linux drivers and the nVidia nForce3 chipset (I cant even restart my computer due to the onboard SATA controller hanging on boot if it is not from a complete power off). Maybe I can finally be able to run Fallout 1 in Linux after all of this....

and maybe Crysis, Mass Effect PC, BioShock, The Witcher and NWN2 (in my Windows install) with shadows on;)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

and maybe Crysis, Mass Effect PC, BioShock, The Witcher and NWN2 (in my Windows install) with shadows on;)

In The Witcher and Mass Effect, yes. In NWN2, no. Not sure about Crysis and Bioshock, haven't played them.

My relatively new E8500 and 4870 combo isn't a slouch either, but shadows for some reason will kill performance.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

In The Witcher and Mass Effect, yes. In NWN2, no. Not sure about Crysis and Bioshock, haven't played them.

My relatively new E8500 and 4870 combo isn't a slouch either, but shadows for some reason will kill performance.

NWN2 runs great on my GTX 280 with shadows. Certain angles with foliage transparancy and shadows, especially viewed on a near horizontal would bring my 8800 GTX to its knees....typically single-digit frame rates.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: chizow
NWN2 runs great on my GTX 280 with shadows.

That is good to hear, I had to fight The King of Shadows with shadows disabled on my x1950 Pro :(